Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am a bit confused on the apps that you can supposedly add and run on the screen. A bit confusing. Is there a how to anywhere?

I understand the screen system is basically running Android.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Yes, the system runs Android 4.2.2 "aka Jelly Bean" (a discontinued, 4 year-old version, but suitable for its intended purpose). It appears as though the system has the ability to add local apps and widgets, but none are available at this time. I wouldn't hold my breath that any ever will be.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
I've been using the web browser on mine. First, go to Menu > Settings > Bluetooth/Wi-Fi and establish connect to a Wi-Fi network (your home, public hotspot, tether to your smartphone, etc.). Once connected, go back to the main menu and swap sideways to show the "apps" icon (the circle with the squares in the middle). Select "browser" and happy browsing!

Here's a video showing how to do it on the Pilot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well...they seem to have locked down a lot of the entry points, BUT they did leave the downloads enabled as well as the USB .APK upload enabled (not sure if it has the non-trusted app install enabled either). One could conceivably grab any .APK file that is TRUSTED and install it on the head unit as is. I couldn't enable the "backdoor" dev mode though.

I don't think I would advise adding apps to the head unit though, who knows how many connections this thing has to other parts of the vehicle (i'm not willing to try it). I wouldn't advise browsing to untrusted websites either, could you imagine a virus on the head unit...LOL?

As it stands though, the stock head unit has the browser/calculator/downloads section wide open. In theory, one could drive down the road live streaming youtube videos (something I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend trying though).

I'm not enterprising enough (or willing) to explore it any further than what is there for fear of breaking something and not being able to fix it.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Well...they seem to have locked down a lot of the entry points, BUT they did leave the downloads enabled as well as the USB .APK upload enabled (not sure if it has the non-trusted app install enabled either). One could conceivably grab any .APK file that is TRUSTED and install it on the head unit as is. I couldn't enable the "backdoor" dev mode though.

I don't think I would advise adding apps to the head unit though, who knows how many connections this thing has to other parts of the vehicle (i'm not willing to try it). I wouldn't advise browsing to untrusted websites either, could you imagine a virus on the head unit...LOL?

As it stands though, the stock head unit has the browser/calculator/downloads section wide open. In theory, one could drive down the road live streaming youtube videos (something I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend trying though).

I'm not enterprising enough (or willing) to explore it any further than what is there for fear of breaking something and not being able to fix it.
Some have tried installing apps without success. Go to Piloteers.org and plug in a few search terms like "apk" and "android apps" if you want a dose of daily discouragement. :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been using the web browser on mine. First, go to Menu > Settings > Bluetooth/Wi-Fi and establish connect to a Wi-Fi network (your home, public hotspot, tether to your smartphone, etc.). Once connected, go back to the main menu and swap sideways to show the "apps" icon (the circle with the squares in the middle). Select "browser" and happy browsing!
Thanks! I did have the WiFi set up but never tapped the "apps" icon. That did it.

Interestingly, if you tap "audio apps" from the audio select menu, it also brings up the last page you were browsing to! Maybe useful quick access for pages that stream audio.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I would advise adding apps to the head unit though, who knows how many connections this thing has to other parts of the vehicle (i'm not willing to try it)......
Well, you sure have that right!

I will experiment on a phone or tablet but not on my vehicle! Good information to have in any case and a useful thread in general!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some have tried installing apps without success. Go to Piloteers.org and plug in a few search terms like "apk" and "android apps" if you want a dose of daily discouragement. :)
LoL...I'll take your word on that one

I'm not anywhere near good on that stuff, but I have messed with tons of android tablets modifying the ROMs. The main difference though is I could afford to brick a $100-200 tablet and move on vs a $40K truck :grin:

I didn't know they ran straight Android on the head-unit until I bought the truck. I wasn't ever interested in a Pilot (other than basic info on how it was related to the Ridgeline) so I didn't ever check info about the head-unit.

For what it is worth, I did pop over to the XDA forums (Android dev forums) and they have apparently cracked the EU version and have a way to install .APK files reliably (for some apps) for those. No one has been able to crack the US version yet though.

For anyone that is interested here is the link:
Have you heard? 2016 Honda Pilot has an Andr… - Pg. 10 | Android Development and Hacking

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK, I am a bit confused on the apps that you can supposedly add and run on the screen. A bit confusing. Is there a how to anywhere?

I understand the screen system is basically running Android.
This thread is a little old, but it is new to me since we just got our '18 RTL-E. This is one area in our PDI where I didn't press our tech for more detail when he said "we could download apps." I just figured that once on line via wifi you go to the browser and download the android version of whatever app you are looking for.

Your feedback is welcome on this potential situation . . .
Just like our G1, we plan on towing our travel trailer quite a bit with this new truck. To enable a view from behind the trailer we have been using our SwiftHitch Sh04 camera mounted on the trailer's bumper. The unit generates its own SSID via wifi that you join just like your router at home. You then open the SwiftHitch app that allows you a great view on your phone or tablet. Works great and has proven itself very valuable for a couple of years.

So, would it be possible to download the SwiftHitch app (android version) via the browser? Assuming that is possible, would a normal install procedure work? If so, where would the program reside? The Apps folder? I pressed on the Apps icon and for now it says it is empty.

I'm on really thin ice here, but somebody out there who is a lot smarter than me might have this stuff figured out by now.
Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nothing has changed, apps install is still locked out by factory. The head unit has just enough power/speed to run the current software. Honda doesn't want conflicting software loaded the may disrupt the Honda experience.

The Wi-Fi connection is basically for using with the internal browser only. Some people are trying to hack the system. Is it worth bricking a $40k truck? Tampered/damaged software will not be covered by the warranty.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nothing has changed, apps install is still locked out by factory. The head unit has just enough power/speed to run the current software. Honda doesn't want conflicting software loaded the may disrupt the Honda experience.

The Wi-Fi connection is basically for using with the internal browser only. Some people are trying to hack the system. Is it worth bricking a $40k truck? Tampered/damaged software will not be covered by the warranty.
Though our tech was great in our PDI, like I said above that was one area he just barely mentioned. What you say makes sense about the head unit not having enough overhead to take on additional tasks. I'm certainly not suggesting a hack for this - just information as to how Honda provides the pathway for installation of apps - particularly given that our dealer's tech said it could be done. He just didn't say how.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Though our tech was great in our PDI, like I said above that was one area he just barely mentioned. What you say makes sense about the head unit not having enough overhead to take on additional tasks. I'm certainly not suggesting a hack for this - just information as to how Honda provides the pathway for installation of apps - particularly given that our dealer's tech said it could be done. He just didn't say how.
You should tell your dealer's tech to take a look at Honda Tech Line article ATS 170207, which states:

"The App Installer icon, listed under App List on the Display Audio screen, has drawn a few questions from curious customers. This icon is meant for future apps that may be developed. At this time, however, there are none available or any plans to develop them.

Do not load any apps or software into the audio system using the App Installer icon; it could lead to unwanted system operation."

·
Registered
236 Posts
You should tell your dealer's tech to take a look at Honda Tech Line article ATS 170207, which states:

"The App Installer icon, listed under App List on the Display Audio screen, has drawn a few questions from curious customers. This icon is meant for future apps that may be developed. At this time, however, there are none available or any plans to develop them.

Do not load any apps or software into the audio system using the App Installer icon; it could lead to unwanted system operation."
Just curious, what kind of critical operations the head unit do? I thought you can disconnect the head unit and still have a fully functional truck less audio/voice system and navigation system, especially if the truck has no lane watch function. Does Honda sensing system depend on the head unit to function or it merely is the interface to set/change sensing settings?

·
Registered
403 Posts

Thanks, Zrog. That's exactly the kind of info I was seeking. Seems that the lack of detailed knowledge by dealer sales people about the robust features of these trucks is pretty common. Lots of reasons we can speculate about why this is true, but nevertheless it is what it is.

Funny anecdote . . . a few months ago when we had our then G1 in for the airbag replacement, I just tested the waters on the showroom floor. I started asking some questions about the G2's GCWR, GVWR, payload, tongue weight specs, etc (since these are all highly relevant to towing our travel trailer). Well, the sales guy was all of a sudden in way over his head, and he just confessed that I knew more about the truck than he did (not at all true overall, but yes in this focused area).

My point is that this is a sad commentary on how Honda has handled marketing and sales of both the G2 and our beloved former G1. Throw in the lack of dedicated line time in G2 manufacturing, the suspected thin resources for its design/development, virtual zero visibility in their advertising, the above noted lack of detailed knowledge on the part of dealer staff and the pattern seems to be clear and confirming of what many on this forum have said in the past . . . Honda's management just hasn't made the Ridgeline an important priority.

What's ironic about that is that both the G1 and the G2 are astoundingly capable trucks. Just now remembered that I posted a thread a month or so ago that I called " This Truck Does So Much - So Well " or something like that. And that was about our 2011 RTL. It was prompted by my wife and I talking about how much we appreciated what that truck was able to do for us. And based on what we've learned about our new G2 in this forum and elsewhere, we expect that this truck will be even better in many ways. Maybe Honda's missed opportunity is our gain; perhaps its uniqueness and owner appreciation will help preserve its value. Meanwhile, it's kind of fun to unfold its features to so many who just don't know.

Apologies for the long rant. Guess I was in a "big picture," kind of global mood this morning! Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Seems that the lack of detailed knowledge by dealer sales people about the robust features of these trucks is pretty common.
It's not just a Honda thing. I can guarantee you could have a good or a bad shopping experience in every single dealership across the country depending on which salesman spots you first walking in the door. When I bought my G2 I purposely went to the only female salesperson in the dealership. Not because I thought I could out-deal her, but because I knew she would be thorough.

When I bought my G1 the Ridgeline wasn't even on the radar, but my experience with the Toyota salesman drove me to check what Honda might have on the market. Similarly, when I was 18 years old and walked into a Chevy dealership and the football game on TV was more important than me, I went to another Chevy dealership and bought that afternoon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts