Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know I read somewhere that it is as Rideg say in the stem, but here is what Honda says

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

The Ridgeline features a direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Using a series of four sensors and four initiators (one for each tire) and a receiver to capture and relay information, the system alerts the driver when it detects that tire pressure in one or more tires drops significantly below the recommended pressure. The sensor transmitter is located inside the wheel. Should the tires be rotated around the vehicle due to normal maintenance or be replaced entirely, the new tires are "auto-located" by the system. If the system detects that tire pressure is significantly low, a low tire pressure indicator located in the meter containing the fuel level and temperature gauge will come on while a schematic of the vehicle located in the center meter housing the speedometer will indicate which tires are low.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can get tires anywhere, but for the rims you will have more limited choices if you want to keep TPMS. However, with more and more cars getting pressure sensors, I'm sure the aftermarket will release more rims. The sensor bolts into the rim using an enlarged stem hole. You can see it if you look at the stem on a RL rim.

The auto position seems to work with an antenna in each wheel well.

The spare is not monitored, however since the spare is the least likely tire to have it's air pressure checked, I would have wished it was monitored. A bit of penny pinching on Honda's part... that plus the fact that a full size spare is an costs extra.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whaleya,

You are right more and more cars getting TPMS, that because it is getting fazed in by law. Starting with either the 2006, or 2007 model year 50% must have it, and all new vehicles by a couple of years later.

Whaleya said:
You can get tires anywhere, but for the rims you will have more limited choices if you want to keep TPMS. However, with more and more cars getting pressure sensors, I'm sure the aftermarket will release more rims. The sensor bolts into the rim using an enlarged stem hole. You can see it if you look at the stem on a RL rim.

The auto position seems to work with an antenna in each wheel well.

The spare is not monitored, however since the spare is the least likely tire to have it's air pressure checked, I would have wished it was monitored. A bit of penny pinching on Honda's part... that plus the fact that a full size spare is an costs extra.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My Sienna TPMS uses tire rotation to calculate air pressure and alerts when the pressure loses 20% of pressure. I think it is a better system, but more expensive. Honda system uses electronics and should be able to monitor the spare tire as well.

I saw on PBS AutoWeek there is a air pressure device that you can attach to the stem of the regular tire. When the tire loses 20% of the pressure, a red insert pops up. The host says it is THE most sensible product to buy. It cost around $10 and maybe is good for the spare tire. Does anyone here recommend this product?

I have actually seen a spare tire that is out of air because the owner never checked it. Does anyone check their spare tire air pressure?

IMO, TPMS and bluetooth phone system are 2 safety device that should be standard. TPMS is one of the reason I bought RL.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Blue said:
My Sienna TPMS uses tire rotation to calculate air pressure and alerts when the pressure loses 20% of pressure. I think it is a better system, but more expensive...
Actually I disagree on both points. The Sienna TPMS uses the ABS sensors which are already in place to measure the rotational velocity. This is much cheaper than Honda's way of doing it since they are tapping into an existing ABS system. It's an indirect inference of the tire pressure, if all 4 tires get low it will never alert you as it notices no difference in velocity between them. Honda has a direct measurement of the actual pressure in each tire which is by far the better system and more accurate.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jeffro,

Since then the the NHTSA has put forth a new proposal, it was put out for comment 09/15/04 it can be seen here.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.9fa154a4d39f02e770f6df1020008a0c/

And search for this NHTSA 40-04

Or you can type in this Docket number NHTSA-2004-19054 at this web site and get all kind of new information right up to GM,s comment dated today.

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.cfm?documentid=321436&docketid=19054

If this all passes faze in begins Sept 1, 2005 with 50%, with all new vehicles coming on in Sept 2007.

jeffro said:
Vertrkr is right! Honda's system is the most advanced (and expensive) available today. It has large benefits vs. the ABS sensor type found in most other makes. It is a 'direct' type vs.'indirect'

Here's the suppliers page --> http://www.siemensvdo.com/default.aspx?menu=CC_tire_guard

Here is a place to find more info about the legislation regarding TPMS --> http://www.citizen.org/autosafety/nhtsa/tread/tpms/index.cfm

Cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Spare tire

I would like to get a full sized spare. Can I get one with TPMS?

Looking at the service manual there are sensors at each wheel well to pick up the RF signal from that wheel. The service manual goes on to say that if you have a flat and place the flat in the trunk the tire pressure warning light will continue to stay lit but the light for which tire it is will not light so the customer isn't confused into thinking the spare is flat.

So far, so good, but the service manual doesn't mention if the system can handle 5 tires or only four in the system.

My other option would be to get rim without TPMS but in that case I need to know the specs (backspacing, offset, ect). It doesn't look like I can just buy the RT steel rim in this case since the rims for the RL seem to have built in weights to compensate for the weight of the sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was looking at the online service manuals for the Ridgeline.

www.serviceexpress.honda.com

Service manuals, TSB, all sorts of stuff. No parts listing yet though.

Now for the depressing part, $50 for 30 day access.

I am a bit of a nerd and like to know how things work.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Whaleya said:
I was looking at the online service manuals for the Ridgeline.
www.serviceexpress.honda.com
Service manuals, TSB, all sorts of stuff. No parts listing yet though.
Now for the depressing part, $50 for 30 day access.
I am a bit of a nerd and like to know how things work.
Thanks, not aware of that. Price is a little step for me though being a time limited access. Think I'll wait for the paper copy and buy that. The 'O5 Ody manual is 2000 pages, I love browsing thru it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whaleya correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to put aftermarket wheels on your truck the wheel has to have a valve stem hole big enough to accomodate the sensor. Also is the sensor that's mounted inside the wheel is it all one piece and how does it mount to the wheel/valve stem.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The sensor mounts to a special valve stem and the stem is bolted through the wheel.

I am wondering about replacing my mini spare with a full sized spare with TPMS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
FYI, Tirerack sells aftermarket wheels that are TPMS-ready

www.tirerack.com

You can order wheels and tires seperately, remove your sensors off your stock wheels, then mount them on the new wheels...what a hassle. Tirerack has all the OEM TPMS sensors in stock and can have them added to your new wheels, mount the tires, balance and ship in a day! Then your stock wheels can be sold or kept for later when you eventually sell the truck (never!!!).

Aloha,
Keoni

PS. I do not represent Tirerack, just a happy customer. Must...resist......need...22s................. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Guys,

You are making life much more complicated. Just get a valve stem visual monitor for $5 and put it on in one minute. I.E.

http://www.accu-pressure.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.cgi

http://www.motorcyclelighting.com/tire-valves.html

Do a search on valve visual tire monitor and you will find one for $5. I would put it on the spare.

Like I mentioned before, Autoweek says this is THE best investment you will ever make in life.

I visually check my tires everytime I fill up the gas. but when I am not in Califonia, I know that I do not venture out of the car due the weather elements. And my cars have TPMS. I do this because I had a major tire blow out once on the highway, fortunately, no one was hurt.

A separate question: I plan to eventually replace my truck tire with Michelin cross-terrain tire because I do not carry heavy loads or go off road, can any tire store replace the ridgeline tires with the same size tires?

I want a tire that drives well in rain to avoid hydroplaning. Yes, I also had a experience once I hydroplaned for about 100 yards. That was scaring.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't waste your money. Several people have tried them and all were very inaccurate. To the point that you could visually see the tire deflating before the red button popped up.

Blue said:
My Sienna TPMS uses tire rotation to calculate air pressure and alerts when the pressure loses 20% of pressure. I think it is a better system, but more expensive. Honda system uses electronics and should be able to monitor the spare tire as well.

I saw on PBS AutoWeek there is a air pressure device that you can attach to the stem of the regular tire. When the tire loses 20% of the pressure, a red insert pops up. The host says it is THE most sensible product to buy. It cost around $10 and maybe is good for the spare tire. Does anyone here recommend this product?

I have actually seen a spare tire that is out of air because the owner never checked it. Does anyone check their spare tire air pressure?

IMO, TPMS and bluetooth phone system are 2 safety device that should be standard. TPMS is one of the reason I bought RL.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts