Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks. I'm not yet a Ridgeline owner, but am giving this truck serious consideration. I am very intrigued by the in-bed trunk. However, I live in South Florida where we experience torrential downpours and am concerned about just how "water resistant" the trunk really is. I would love to hear about the experience of current owners that live in wet climates concerning any water leakage into the trunk.

TIA

Craig.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Craig,

Welcome. :)

The inbed trunk is dry as a bone on my vehicle. I put my softball bag and a cooler in there.

I also tried washing the vehicle and sprayed water all in the bed, no leaks.

Also no other problems other than a scratched windshield and adjustment needed to the hood on delivery.

Going back to the dealer for these minor things and its first oil change a 1500 miles, in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Love this vehicle. Much better than my Tacoma and I liked that.

Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had my truck since early march, so I have had a couple feet of wet snow melt in the bed as well as very wet spring rains (Thankfully) In all this I have had a dry trunk :) The only wet that gets in there is like any other trunk when you open the lid and a few drops go in. Also I have to travel a VERY dusty road and its suprising how little gets in. The trunk is my families favorite feature :D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Always dry here (even after yesterday's monsoon rains....) :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It is as dry as the trunk in any sedan. If you open the trunk and look at the way that it is built it will look a lot like the trunk on any car. I do not see how any water could get in. I have never had any water in mine. I do have the Retrax bed cover and it is water resistant but I do not consider it to be water tight. When I wash the truck and rinse with a lot of water and more pressure than rain would produce I get a total of about a tablespoon of water dripping from places where I probably do not have the seals adjusted quite right yet.

Welcome aboard Celler! What color will your Ridgeline be? (Just so that it is not silver! Just kidding, there is a little side bet going on the most popular color. Black isn't winning, YET, but we could use all the help that we can get.) The Ridgeline is the most exciting and fun vehicle that I have ever owned, possibly other than my Harley. It was flawlwss upon delivery two months ago and has continued to be so. The excitement and fun also continues in no small part due to this Ridgeline Owners Club site and it's many fine members. I think that the site has recently reached critical mass and membership is really starting to grow very rapidly now.

Once again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Been reading this forum religiously. No sign of wetness in the trunk, other than almost wetting myself in my excitement during delivery of my Ridgeline....still am. ;) ;) :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dry as a bone. My Ridgline has been through some torrential down pours and numerous touchless car washes. I have also sprayed it out myself a few times. Don't worry, be dry. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
964 Posts
My trunk has been dry as a bone. No leakage and I take it through a high pressure car wash every couple of weeks. IT's awesome!

·
Registered
141 Posts
My truck filled with water. I created a hot tub for midgets, and when they quit using it we fill it with ice and party all night long. Thinking about adding gold fish someday. The drain plug is excellent to drain it between fillings. (sometime clogs with beer cans):D

Well it can be used that way, if desired, but it is also drier than a bone if you perfer to be a "normal" Owner . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jrebot said:
Joe

Current Vehicles:

-2006 Honda Rigeline Amazon Green / Olive RTL with moonroof, leather, NAV, backup camera, running boards, mud flaps, loaded!
Joe,

Not to hijack my own thread, but I would love to hear about your backup camera. Can you actually judge distances with it? Does it detract from the beautiful lines on the tailgate? Pictures would be great.

THANKS TO EVERYONE who took the time to reply to my original post. It seems that Honda engineers have done their normal excellent job in designing the in-bed truck. What a great feature. Any bets on how quickly the other manufacturers copy this :) ?

Thanks again.

Craig.

L

·
0 Posts
celler said:
Joe,

Not to hijack my own thread, but I would love to hear about your backup camera. Can you actually judge distances with it? Does it detract from the beautiful lines on the tailgate? Pictures would be great.

THANKS TO EVERYONE who took the time to reply to my original post. It seems that Honda engineers have done their normal excellent job in designing the in-bed truck. What a great feature. Any bets on how quickly the other manufacturers copy this :) ?

Thanks again.

Craig.
I'll bet its already on the table at FORD!! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just had a torrential downpour yesterday. My yard had pooling 6" deep. This morning I looked in the trunk, dry.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I doubt the trunk is on the table at Ford, because to make one as large as the one in our truck, Ford would have to completely redesign the rear suspension. It's the strut suspension that makes the trunk work.

Now the swing-open tailgate, that's a no-brainer, and I'd bet cash that it shows up in somebody's 2007 model.

Oh yeah, my trunk is always bone dry unless I put something wet in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nox said:
The trunk is water resistant. It's the passenger compartment you have to worry about.... :D
I assume the smiley icon indicates that you are just kidding. Have you experienced leaks in the passenger compartment??

Craig.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts