Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I ran the tank down low enough this time to get the low fuel LED on. Only the 5th tank for me so I started wondering just how far can you REALLY go on a tank-- or how far on the light.

Of course, you never want to run it dry for various reasons not including the walk to the gas station. I only ran 15 miles on the light before safely finding the next pit stop. (with 355 miles on the tank)

Who cares what the manual sez you have left. How far have yaw' gone?

L

·
0 Posts
kd4z said:
Ok, so I ran the tank down low enough this time to get the low fuel LED on. Only the 5th tank for me so I started wondering just how far can you REALLY go on a tank-- or how far on the light.

Of course, you never want to run it dry for various reasons not including the walk to the gas station. I only ran 15 miles on the light before safely finding the next pit stop. (with 355 miles on the tank)

Who cares what the manual sez you have left. How far have yaw' gone?

I know for sure at least 30 miles.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I was near a gas station when the light came on and so I got gas. I think the Ridgeline holds 22 gal. (?). So, when the light went on I put in 18 gal. I guess that means it holds at least 4 more gallons after the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Wow, we must have coasted to the gas pump on fumes. I know DH was stressed about it. We've only gotten to the point of having the indicator come on this one time and, like you, we don't know where the true empty really strands you. It's a lesson we don't want.

We were towing our tent trailer (adding to the stress) in a rural part of Idaho (more stress). Our highway turnoff came before the town where we planned to refuel. We were past a tiny C-store with a single pump before we saw that they had gas. The map showed a string of about three more towns before we got to the next town that we knew had gas. If we'd have known none of the other towns had gas, we would have turned around.

The needle dipped toward empty and my DH turned into a curmudgeon, predicting we'd be out before we got to Leadore. I'm the optimist and thankfully, my instincts were correct. We finally saw the small town up ahead and made it OK.

However, my real surprise came tonight. I went out to check my mileage records. We had travelled 297 miles, but we were only getting about 13 mpg. DH is a compulsive over filler at the pump. He got 22.7 in the tank at Leadore. Either he had gas all the way up the spout or their pump is off. The manual says the tank holds 22.01.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
We went only about 15 miles after the light came on. Filled it up and it took just over 18 gal. So like another said, it probably has about 4 gallons in the tank after the light comes on. I wish there was a warning noise too, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove 40 miles with the low fuel light on. It took 21 to fill the tank. So my guess is that when the light come on you still have between 3 and 4 gallons left.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was an idiot and forgot how low i was on fuel the night before. Jumped in and drove to work, ran out on the way.

What is really cool is that the entire drive is downhill, so i COASTED almost 2 miles straight into a gas station. The only person that knew i ran out was me :)

I think I put 22.14(ish) gallons in it.

It fired right up and caused no problems.

Where I live is mountainous, so my mileage stinks.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I've done similar to some of the other posts and my guess its around 4 gallons left. I've averaged about 17-18 mpg so I know I should be good for 40 miles when it comes on.... :p

·
Registered
321 Posts
We left Vegas with half a tank. I figured we would get gas after we got moving on down the road. Everywhere we tried was way to expensive so I kept truckin. Barstow I thought. We made the cutoff on 58 and I didn’t see any gas stations so we kept going. I looked at the map the saw some areas that I thought would have gas.
Gas gauge is going down, boy it looks desolate out here. Wow it is 98 degrees out. I have Cell signal that’s good. Oooh look at that, the gas light came on. :eek: Now I’m starting to sweat. Maybe because I turned the air off to save fuel. I got in tight behind a semi and cruised real smooth at about 60 mph.
Finally we got to an area that had gas. Put in a tick over 21 gallons. Whew! I think I caused a few grey hairs because of that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think the owner's manual said that when the light comes on, you have I think 3 gallons to the E. When you hit the E, there's still some left, but I don't think it said how much.

I know when my light comes on, I get in around 18 gallons. I've since pushed it to where I got 21.xx gallons.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RivaDragon said:
I was an idiot and forgot how low i was on fuel the night before. Jumped in and drove to work, ran out on the way.

What is really cool is that the entire drive is downhill, so i COASTED almost 2 miles straight into a gas station. The only person that knew i ran out was me :)
I think I put 22.14(ish) gallons in it. It fired right up and caused no problems.

Where I live is mountainous, so my mileage stinks.
Ding, ding ding! We have a winner :D RivaDragon found the bottom of tank! Glad it worked out ok. Also, it is good to see that everybody is getting consistant results.

Isn't it funny how we all get that urgent feeling when that darn light comes on? (Even though we KNOW there is more left in the tank) I wish the Ridge chimed when the light first comes on too...as I don't think I noticed it for a few miles...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
When I do the math, 22 gal X $2.199 =$48, I just fill up every week, need it or not, makes me feel better that way. I went a little far last week and cost me $35 to fill up with 280 miles. You guys complaing about the milage, back off the lead foot! The Ridgeline accelerator has no linkage just ease it down and it takes off, no mashing required. I increased my milage about 2 MPG when this finally sunk in. Now average 20 when not towing. Going to the beach in 2 weeks and expect to get 22 MPH on the interstate.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thought I'd share a story regarding gas. This wasn't the Ridgeline, but my Trailblazer. We were driving back from PA to MN. Reached the Ohio line on the Turnpike (it's snowing like crazy, right after Christmas last year). There is a service plaza, it's JAM PACKED. No problem, the light hasn't come on yet. We'll get to the next exit/plaza. Keep going, light comes on almost immediately after passing the plaza. No problem, right? Uh oh. We had to drive another 40 miles or so (I had never driven more than 15 miles after the light came on). Luckily we had a friends GPS, and were able to find a gas station at the next exit. There wasn't one right at the exit, it was closed.

Filled up at the station, took about 17 gallons (supposedly a 16 gallon tank)

My hubby was very upset with me.

:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's my $.02 on it...

I like to fill my tank ALL the way to where you stick the hose in because when it it stops automatically I can still put in another 3 gallons. And that is so annoying that they made the tank like that.

Anyways, the other day I was at 375 miles and the light came on. I only got to go another few miles because we were headed out of town. But, when I filled up I put in 21.9 gallons and I quit there because that was already $50 and I wanted to get going. So, if the light comes on with @3 gallons I think you should be able to go another 30-50 miles depending on the load and terrain. Next time I get the chance I'll see how far I can go and report back.

And filled up ALL the way our tank is more like 25-26 gallons...not 22.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DnA's said:
Here's my $.02 on it...

I like to fill my tank ALL the way to where you stick the hose in because when it it stops automatically I can still put in another 3 gallons. And that is so annoying that they made the tank like that.
This is probably not a good idea. You want to leave room for the gas to expand in the heat. They are designed it this way so when it's hot out , the fumes have room to expand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
shingles said:
This is probably not a good idea. You want to leave room for the gas to expand in the heat. They are designed it this way so when it's hot out , the fumes have room to expand.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about that since I don't fill up in freezing weather and then have my vehicle transported to the desert ;) . Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know anyone that fills their tank up and then leaves it parked at the gas station...just my thoughts on it anyways since I never hear about a tank exploding from gas expansion (doesn't make the news here if it is happening anyways). And when you fill your tank heat transfers from hot to cold so the gas is being warmed up and expanding as it enters my tank when it's 100 degrees outside. Not to mention at 18-20mpg the gas gets used pretty quick anyways.

·
Registered
578 Posts
From the epa:
"You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions."

More info:
http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Two intersting points that a lot of sources indicate:
1) you might actually be paying for gas that is NOT in your tank. Most of the gas station today have vapor recovery that dumps the vapor back into their tanks. So when you top off, your gas could be going back into their tanks.

2) The gas can/will go into your vapor recovery system in the car. This can cause a few issues including gas smells in the car and having to repair the system.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
25 Year Honda Owner said:
When I do the math, 22 gal X $2.199 =$48, I just fill up every week, need it or not, makes me feel better that way. I went a little far last week and cost me $35 to fill up with 280 miles. You guys complaing about the milage, back off the lead foot! The Ridgeline accelerator has no linkage just ease it down and it takes off, no mashing required. I increased my milage about 2 MPG when this finally sunk in. Now average 20 when not towing. Going to the beach in 2 weeks and expect to get 22 MPH on the interstate.
Wow, 25 Year Honda Owner if we drive at 85mph on our interstate we get honked at and people give out rude hand signals. I'd hate to see what they would do if I drove at 22mph!! Jus Kidding!! I too, have found that drag racing the stop light burns massive amounts of gas. My first tank went at around 16mpg. but on our third tank, I drove the whole tank like I had an egg under my shoes and it went up to 19.76mpg. Great info here, Drive safe. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts