Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 220 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 06 RL has 98K on the original battery. I could tell this past winter that on really cold days it was sluggish, but it always started. It's still working like a champ.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Our Ridgeline went about 46 months before we went dead at the grocery store.
We are now 60months this month and the new Sears battery is holding up very well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Since I don't drive the RL very much this year, I have been nursing mine along for a year..............:act064:

So at 49,995 miles I took my dead bat out. Installed a Optima battery. Boy does she ever turn over easy !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: how long till your RL battery died?

I don’t know if my battery (almost 4 years old) is starting to die or I found an anomaly.

I had the signs of the spastic dash happen, but then I couldn’t get the key to turn. The steering wheel was locked and upon taking the tension off, the RL started just fine.

Is this a sign that the battery is on the way out? :confused:
Yea I would say it is. I got my 06 in August 05 (I Think) i know i had one of the first ridgelines in the U.S. so yea my battery was old and it died in december. possibly earlier than other people's because i lived in Colorado. but ne way My truck did the dash freak out randomly for about a week maybe two weeks and i recall 1 instance where it did exactly like what yours did

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I thought my battery was about done, but I haven't had any problems with it since a couple of jump starts a couple of months ago.

However, I was looking into batteries. Anybody know if Sam's carries a battery for the Ridgeline? I saw the Energizer battery they sell is made by Johnson Controls (supposedly better than Exide ones), but I didn't know the battery size/class that is used in the Ridgeline and no one was around in the auto department last evening for me to ask.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Original still going strong on my 06'. I'll check the date when I'm out washing it a bit later today. I'll change it if I have to but hoping for another winter out of it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I thought my battery was about done, but I haven't had any problems with it since a couple of jump starts a couple of months ago.

However, I was looking into batteries. Anybody know if Sam's carries a battery for the Ridgeline? I saw the Energizer battery they sell is made by Johnson Controls (supposedly better than Exide ones), but I didn't know the battery size/class that is used in the Ridgeline and no one was around in the auto department last evening for me to ask.
I can't answer your question specifically but since you have an '06 and you've had to jump start it a couple times get yourself a battery pronto. WalMart owns Sam's so I think their batteries are probably about the same and maybe made by the same people. Last fall I decided to replace my '06 battery (although it was still doing fine) with a WalMart battery. They installed if for free and you get a 3 year warranty anywhere there is a WalMart store and that covers a whole lot of places. It was only $75 so you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I can't answer your question specifically but since you have an '06 and you've had to jump start it a couple times get yourself a battery pronto. WalMart owns Sam's so I think their batteries are probably about the same and maybe made by the same people. Last fall I decided to replace my '06 battery (although it was still doing fine) with a WalMart battery. They installed if for free and you get a 3 year warranty anywhere there is a WalMart store and that covers a whole lot of places. It was only $75 so you can't go wrong.
Wierd thing, shortspark, is that the Energizer batteries are made by Johnson Controls, but the Walmart Everstarts in the Memphis area are made by Exide.

I'm not going to drive all over town looking for a JC-made battery and was planning on getting either the Everstart or the Auto-zone Duralast, but if the Energizer is available, I'll got with it since the general internet consensus (for what it's worth) seems to be that Johnson Control batteries are a bit better than Exide.

If I don't have any more issues, I'll probably get one before "winter sets in"...although our winters around here aren't very taxing normally. If we see more than a dozen days of lows in the teens, it's a "hard winter". :act006:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi all! My 06 currently has around 41k miles and the battery is starting to give up on me. Mainly i think because i use the radio a lot while the truck is not running. Is it normal for the battery to go out at 4yrs / 41k miles? What battery would you recommend to replace it with?

On a different note, I average 14.5 miles per gallon while driving 7 city miles & 7 highway miles daily. Is that unusual and is there anything i should be checking?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
240 Posts
My battery went out at just short of 2 years on my 07. I think you got good service out of yours. 5 years is pretty good service out of one these days. I don't believe miles has very much to do with battery life. Mine was still under warranty, but it went out on a Sunday, and I absolutely have to have my truck ready to go at all times for work. I just went with an Autozone one. It has lasted longer than the OEM one did.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi all! My 06 currently has around 41k miles and the battery is starting to give up on me. Mainly i think because i use the radio a lot while the truck is not running. Is it normal for the battery to go out at 4yrs / 41k miles? What battery would you recommend to replace it with?

On a different note, I average 14.5 miles per gallon while driving 7 city miles & 7 highway miles daily. Is that unusual and is there anything i should be checking?

Thanks in advance!
If you do a little research, you'll find most of the batteries in the U.S. are made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, no matter what name is on the battery (Die-Hard, Duralast, Walmart Everstart, Costco Kirkland, etc.). While I'm not sold on the idea, the consensus from my internet reading is that those batteries made by Johnson Controls are better than those by Exide. A lot of the battery labels will state which company made the battery, but not all of them. The ones in Walmart (Exide in the Memphis area) and the Sam's Energizer (JC) both identify the maker (Exide and JC both make Walmart batteries and it depends on which area of the country you are in as to who made it).

I've got a Die-hard Gold and two Autozone Duralast batteries installed in other vehicles, but I couldn't identify the maker from any of the visible areas of the battery, so I don't know who made those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our battery in an 06 lasted till 09 right before the new vehicle warranty was ending... Knowing that the battery was having issues, took it into the dealer, a complimentary battery test was completed, battery noted defective and replaced with a 100 month Honda battery.

Now that we are out of warranty, Firestone, noted that acid was leaking from the terminals as part of their courtesy checks... Recommended we take the 100 month Honda battery back to Honda to replace...

Well, did you know that the 100 month Honda warranty on the battery only applies if you purchased it? In my case, since the battery was "replaced", March 09, under the new car warranty and since the new car warranty is expired, the 100 month Honda battery is no longer warranted (again because I didn't purchase it) even though the battery only lasted 15 months... I thought this was kind of dumb... If I bought the battery the warranty applies... I think Honda should warrant their battery based on installation date, pro-rate, as required whether you purchased or not. Goes to show you Honda quality.

I don't mind paying a pro-rated rate to replace this Honda battery which should last 100 months (I can dream) though Honda wants you to pay full price and probably marked up instead... This is one reason I really despise dealers... If you think your battery is not performing, take it to the dealer before your warranty expires and hopefully you dealer replaces your battery with one that'll last at least 50 months...

Maybe I'll call Honda USA for their comment versus the local dealer...

Aloha!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Changed my battery out 2 weeks ago I guess with an optima yellow top. Truck has getting sluggish on starts even on warm days and wouldn't hardly give off any power for jump starts. So I swapped it for the optima and am glad I did it starts like a new truck again. I'm kind of surprised honda didn't crack the stock battery on my truck when installing the original back in 07. The tie downs were cranked so tight that there were pretty large indentions in the battery. Its a wonder under the heat it didn't crack by now. Glad I caught it before I had a big acid spill to clean up.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Normal? You are over the limit. On the three Hondas I've had, none lasted over three years. I replaced them with Ford batteries which have a higher amp hour rating and last longer.:act024:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our battery in an 06 lasted till 09 right before the new vehicle warranty was ending... Knowing that the battery was having issues, took it into the dealer, a complimentary battery test was completed, battery noted defective and replaced with a 100 month Honda battery......

.....Well, did you know that the 100 month Honda warranty on the battery only applies if you purchased it? In my case, since the battery was "replaced", March 09, under the new car warranty and since the new car warranty is expired, the 100 month Honda battery is no longer warranted (again because I didn't purchase it) even though the battery only lasted 15 months... I thought this was kind of dumb... If I bought the battery the warranty applies... I think Honda should warrant their battery based on installation date, pro-rate, as required whether you purchased or not. Goes to show you Honda quality.

This is one reason I really despise dealers... If you think your battery is not performing, take it to the dealer before your warranty expires and hopefully you dealer replaces your battery with one that'll last at least 50 months...

Maybe I'll call Honda USA for their comment versus the local dealer...

Aloha!
Edited the "Quote" to save space and get down to the "nity gritty" of it.

I understand your frustration but just wanted to insert a couple of thoughts.

Batteries might fall into the catagory of "Wear Items", such as hoses, brake shoes/pads, wiper blades, tires, and so forth.

In the real world it would be amazing if a battery lasted 100 months. So with that in mind, if we have a battery replaced due to premature failure, we should expect that replacement battery(s) to last through the time frame of the original battery.

Put another way: If I purchase an 8 year battery and it fails at 5 years, I would like it to be replaced free of charge and the replacement to last at least 3 years so that I actually get 8 years of battery life for the money I spent up front. Therefore I agree with you that the two batteries you have had should have lasted a combined time of 100 months. Assuming you bought the vehicle new, you did, in fact, purchase the original battery as you purchased the vehicle and the battery was part of the vehicle.

Many vehicle's warranties state that tires and batteries have seperate warranties and if we have trouble with, say Good Year tires, we need to deal with a Good Year dealer on that. Same with an "Exide" battery and so forth.

However when the manufactures puts their name on the part they should warranty that part until the new car warranty or extended warranty expires. Even if they have to replace it several times. But would not expect them to warrant each replacement battery for 100 months. Just have a reliable batter under the hood for 100 months.

If Honda chooses to call it a 100 month battery, it or it's replacments should last 100 months even though the new car warranty ran out long before that.

Unfortunately that most likely won't happen.
In the nearly 5 decades I've been driving, I've learned to not push my luck with batteries. I replace them at 4 years. If the old ones still seems lively, keep it around for emergency power. Too many times I've seen and/or experienced a battery work just fine for a trip or commute but be dead as a door nail the next time it is needed. :act060:

Kip

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Had to replace the battery today... Honda said it was installed Oct 05, almost made it to 5 years on the original :act024: I ended up getting a replacement at autozone as Honda was about to close and I didn't feel like taking a chance tomorrow...

When I got in the truck this morning it crank really slow but was able to start so I could of gotten to work and same thing after work, it tested around 10v...

another surprise was that after inputting the radio/navi codes all the presets was still there only the trip mileage I've seen to be reset

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I got in the truck this morning it crank really slow but was able to start so I could of gotten to work and same thing after work, it tested around 10v...
Unfortunately modern batteries have a tendancy to simply quit with little to no warning. Therefore I replace them at 4 years, even if they "Seem" to still be working OK.

If they still hold a a full charge (12.7 V) for 72 hours, with no load, I will keep them around for "Stored energy". If not I trade them in.

Seems that they can start the vehicle just fine one time and completely fail the next. And when you think about it, the failure always occurs when we need the vehicle to crank. :eek:

Generaly speaking a 12 volt battery is considered dead when the voltage drops into the low to mid 11 Volt range. Amazing to me that your battery started the RL with a reading of 10 VOLTS.
Kip

From Trogan Batteries web sight:

Percentage of Charge Specific Gravity Corrected to
80o F Open-Circuit Voltage
........SG . 6V .. 12V ... 24V . 36V . 48V
100 1.277 6.37 12.73 25.46 38.20 50.93
90 1.258 6.31 12.62 25.24 37.85 50.47
80 1.238 6.25 12.50 25.00 37.49 49.99
70 1.217 6.19 12.37 24.74 37.12 49.49
60 1.195 6.12 12.24 24.48 36.72 48.96
50 1.172 6.05 12.10 24.20 36.31 48.41
40 1.148 5.98 11.96 23.92 35.87 47.83