Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How Many Miles Before First Oil Change?

23K views 218 replies 53 participants last post by  basils 
#1 ·
What total mileage does your Ridgeline have on it before first oil change?

#4 ·
Re: How Many Mile before First Oil Change?

Looks like my first will be around 7500 miles maybe a little short. I have 30% left on it and about 10 miles short of 6000.

I think the real answer though is you go until OLM tells you to take it in.

#5 · (Edited)

Just made appt. for Tuesday. Free oilchange, fix lava lamp, fusebox part number 38200-SJC-A12 , reverse RB. Agreed to go with 5w20 Honda bulkoil and Honda filter. Oil is black and plentiful at 5.8k. Passed on the Mobil 1 for $30 extra. Robbie reccomended staying with the Honda stuff. Seemed amused about the backasswards-runningboards.:rolleyes:

#8 ·

Did my 1st Oil Change at 6500 miles (Oil Life indicator told me less than 10%)
2nd oil change at 11500 (oil life indicator <15% but I was going on a trip).

#11 ·
#13 ·

I'm currently at 4,300 and 50%..I'm not used to going over 3000 miles for an oil change. Is everyone waiting for the oil life monitor to alert for an oil change or changing before the alert?

What type of oil are you using? Are you following Honda's recommendations?

#14 ·

Several of us seem to be sticking with the Oil Life Indicator.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/20

#15 ·

Welcome aboard godzilla2007@yahoo.com!
There has been a lot of great information shared by many very informed and qualified individuals on the subject of oil, oil filters, the OLM, and just about anything that you would ever want to know about oil on various threads here on the ROC. You have come to the right place to find out anything that you want to know about the Ridgeline. Click on the "Search" tab at the top of the page and search for key words or phrases that apply to what you are looking for. You might want to get a fresh cup of coffee before you search for oil topics because there is a lot of really good information posted. I read and followed the advice that was posted and, following the OLM, used Mobil1 and a SuperTech (WalMart) ST3593A filter.
Once again, welcome!

#16 ·

godzilla2007@yahoo.com said:
I'm currently at 4,300 and 50%..I'm not used to going over 3000 miles for an oil change. Is everyone waiting for the oil life monitor to alert for an oil change or changing before the alert?

What type of oil are you using? Are you following Honda's recommendations?
I use the oil life monitor and am using Castrol / Halvoline conventional oil.

#17 ·

I've had mine about five months and am itching for an oil change. I'm planning on changing the factory fill out at 4000 and putting in one of these oils....(I haven't decided yet), Mobil 1 5w-20, Redline 5w-20, or Amsoil. I'll use a Purolator Premium Plus or PureOne filter. After that, because of my shorter trips, I'll change about every 5k miles. In my opinion no harm at all can come from changing the factory oil out at 3k to 5k. I would just leave it in at least that long for the high moly content of the oil and the assembly lubes to allow for the recommended break-in. And for those that follow the manual and OLM 100%, they will do just fine of course. I'm just a tad anal about oil and engine care.

#18 ·

Basils, if it is moly you are looking for the Havoline 5w20 is chock full of it. I think it contains 400+ units and I know of no other regular dino oil that high. The Ridgeline factory fill, be it in the oil or as a result of the engine assembly lubes, shows about 380 units of moly after about 6800 miles. I do not know what the virgin oil would show but I think it is a Superflo formula and if so, it should contain less than the Havoline. I think most people believe the extra moly in the factory fill comes from assembly lubes and Honda takes that into consideration when they suggest leaving the oil in for a longer first oil change interval.

In any event, it looks like you want to go Synthetic. All the ones you are considering are excellent products. Again, if it is moly you want, the Redline has perhaps more than any oil on the market, at least in the American market. Out of the bottle it contains something over 600 units of moly. There are lots of ways to protect an engine and some excellent oils contain little or no moly. But most people agree that moly is one of the best additives in an oil pack. What most people do not agree on is whether or not Honda engines like lots of moly.

#20 ·

It looks like the oil monitor is not just a 7,500 thing, BUT IT DOES monitor
Your driving habit/conditions:confused: ;whatever; because on this sight we are seeing different miles associated with different oil life indicators...

#22 ·

Basils, if it is moly you are looking for the Havoline 5w20 is chock full of it. I think it contains 400+ units and I know of no other regular dino oil that high. The Ridgeline factory fill, be it in the oil or as a result of the engine assembly lubes, shows about 380 units of moly after about 6800 miles. I do not know what the virgin oil would show but I think it is a Superflo formula and if so, it should contain less than the Havoline. I think most people believe the extra moly in the factory fill comes from assembly lubes and Honda takes that into consideration when they suggest leaving the oil in for a longer first oil change interval.

In any event, it looks like you want to go Synthetic. All the ones you are considering are excellent products. Again, if it is moly you want, the Redline has perhaps more than any oil on the market, at least in the American market. Out of the bottle it contains something over 600 units of moly. There are lots of ways to protect an engine and some excellent oils contain little or no moly. But most people agree that moly is one of the best additives in an oil pack. What most people do not agree on is whether or not Honda engines like lots of moly.
Shortspark,
Thanks for the information. The moly does seem to be a favorite ingredient of Honda engines. From what I've read, moly and Honda work well together. Yeah, I knew the Redline was super high in it....this is why I may use it. And I'm sure many oils work great without much moly, I just prefer it in a Honda for now. Being that the Redline is very expensive though, I may opt for the Mobil 1.

#24 ·

My dealer told me there was a special break-in additive that should not be removed before 7500. They made me initial the paper when I purchased: Here is the text:

DEAR VALUED CUSTOMER:

TO HELP ENSURE THAT YOU GET THE MAXIMUM LIFE OUT OF YOUR NEW HONDA, AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR COMPANY RECOMMENDS THAT YOUR 1ST OIL CHANGE ON ALL 4 CYLNDER HONDA CARS AND MPV'S BE DONE @ 10,000 MILES AND 7500 MILES ON ALL 6 CYLINDERS CARS AND TRUCKS. THIS IS DUE TO A SPECIAL BREAK-IN ADDITIVE CONTAINED IN THE OIL THAT COMES WITH YOUR NEW HONDA.

#25 ·

My dealer told me there was a special break-in additive that should not be removed before 7500.
That doesn't sound like an official Honda position as it is not in the owners manual. They recommend an oil change when the Maintenance Minder indicates that it is necessary. I had my oil changed 5556 miles, with <10% oil life remaining.

#26 ·

Michael,

The only additive in the oil that is indicated from analysis is a higher than normal content of moly. The amount may be evidence that Honda uses either a moly additive in the oil when filled, or it's from the lubes used during manufacturing. Either way, I'm not aware of any other special additives contained in the factory oil. But waiting at least 3 to 5k for your first oil change (or when the OLM advises) is a good idea since Honda DOES ask that we not change it out in a hurry. I think they just want you to leave the moly in for a while as they believe it may aid the engine for a proper break-in. I'll be doing mine at 4k and use a high moly oil most likely (Redline?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.