Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started "lurking " here in 07. I purchased an RTL new in 08. Mine now has 190,000 miles.

I know the early RL's were made in Canada but what can you say about those early RL's up to now? I remember cabin water leaks early with some.

I'm considering a new one (when the 17's come available) but am wary of the first ones off the AL line.

What say you early owners?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I purchased an 06 RTL in the Spring of 05, no problems. 08 and no problems. 013 a couple of years ago and have had some fit/finish problems.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I bought new in 02/2006.

Normal maintenance and no extraordinary problems (other than the body wrinkles! :act060:)

Pushing about 157K. Almost time for the third set of Michelin tires.

·
Administrator
16,327 Posts
My '07 had the best fit and finish and fewest problems.
My '10 had good fit and finish, but the most problems.
My '14 has the worst fit and finish by far, but no problems...yet.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I bought on March 30, 2005 and took delivery on April 1, 2005 (they had to order some of my addons - fog lamps and body side mouldings.) Kept it for 60,000 miles - traded for a civic Hybrid - then traded the Civic Hybrid for a 2009 RTL - then after 60,000 miles traded that for a 2013 CR-V.

Might be an early adapter of a GEN 2 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I bought my 2006 in the spring of 2005. I did all the required maintenance and it never had anything wrong with it. All I ever did was put a battery in it at the four year mark just to be sure, although the battery was working just fine. That truck never saw the inside of a dealer or repair shop in the seven years I had it. Of course I only had 53,000 mile on it. I kept it until 2012 when I sold it to a buddy and he has continued to have good luck with it right up to today. I now have an SUV but I am still interested in the GEN II truck and if I like it I may buy one just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Purchased the very first 2006 RL that arrived at local dealer in March 05. No initial issues except the front interior door pull handles were different shades of silver. During the time owned, replaced one front strut (leaking oil) and the steering rack both under warranty. No other issues. Drove it for 7 years. Traded at 196,000 miles for 2012.

2012 model now has 40k miles. Rust showing up on suspension and exhaust which did not happen on the 2006. Had warranty issues requiring replacement of windshield and fuse box serving the body controls (shorted out) before reaching 500 miles. Also replaced one door weatherstrip...should have replaced them all. Fit and finish on 2012 relative to the 2006 is fair to poor. No problems with this truck so far after the initial warranty claims.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Bought our 2006 RTL Navi/Sunroof new in May '05. Added Accessory back-up cam, fog lights, grill, running boards, roof rack, and several other "appearance" options. Also aftermarket tailgate lock & Retrax tonneau cover. Never did add trailer hitch or harness.
Did not suffer any of the "early" issues (water leaks, steering wheel squeak, windshield cracks, wind noise, etc.). Absolutely NO fit/finish issues.

The only issues we suffered over almost 10 years of driving:
Recalls (under dash fan connector, air bags)
Rear seat cable guides ("pulleys")... replaced broken plastic with metal.
Overhead "map light" switch failed/replaced.
A few dash switch "indicator" lights burned out (e.g. heated seat switches).
Windshield Washer fluid bottle re-secured when fastener broke.
Heat shield "rattle/buzz" at front CAT "fixed" with large stainless steel hose clamp method.
We incurred one phantom code that inactivated our VTM-4 until cleared by dealer (mystery event happened brand new, within first 500 miles while on desert drive in extreme heat & never ever recurred).
FYI, still on original bulbs for headlamps, turn signals/brake lights & foglamps. Most interior lights are original (replaced one map light bulb, and have 3 or 4 switch indicator lights out - never replaced.
Just put on 2nd replacement set of tires. (OEMs, then General Grabber HTS, now Sumitomo Enhance C/X)
On 2nd replacement battery (first two both lasted almost 5 years)
Also, still riding original radiator w/o issue or signs of trouble.

Only performed maintenance services as required.... never did anything extra (actually a little late with some fluid changes). OEM parts installed for TB/WP service.

146K miles & going strong. The ONLY thing I would do additionally at this time is to get the front seats reupholstered or buy seat cushion/cover replacements (if they are still available). The leather is starting to crack a bit on the driver's side on the outside bolster, and the foam has broken down somewhat.

I expect to have it another 4-6 years.... probably won't exceed 250K miles. Fortunate here weather-wise..... probably contributes some to our RL's health & longevity. Never garaged however. Paint beginning to show signs of age at top rear/center brake panel, chrome-look OEM accessory wheels, and roof area in general. Otherwise looks great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought my '06 in Oct. 2005. 83,xxx miles on it now. Other than 1 CV boot and 1 door lock actuator, oh, and I am on my 3rd battery, I have had no issues. I have owned 40+ vehicles in my life, many of which I bought new, and this truck has been the best vehicle out of the bunch.:act035:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Purchased mine in March of 05,it was the special edition aquarium model.To their credit Honda replaced it in July of 05 with a new vehicle.It's the best vehicle I've ever owned.Looking forward to Gen2.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
We also bought our 06 RTS in the spring of 05 and it has been the best truck I've ever owned. A bit of paint issues on the rear bumper cover. Had the air bag recall done, Machined a new set of stainless rear seat pulleys, battery box, door sills, cubby cover, license plate frames and fabricated a stronger windshield washer bottle bracket. She's towed our travel trailer for 5 seasons without any issues.

My kid brothers new F150 is very impressive with the same cubic inches but I still love my Honda. Can't wait to see the new one...

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought an '06 in July of '05. It now has 200,000 Miles on it. It still runs great and has -- far and away -- been the best value in an automobile I've experienced in my (68 year) life.

The build was, and is, perfection. There are some engineering issues with links and seats, but the drivetrain and body are solid, solid, solid.

To my eyeball, the Alabama cars do not have the build quality of my Canadian sourced Ridgeline. I'd be reluctant to buy one. So much so that I'm considering an MDX rather than taking a gamble on the Alabama built Pilots and Ridgelines of the future.

Too bad. The Ridgeline has really served my needs well and I'd like to stay with the model in the future. But, I really trust the Ohio built cars more. I just don't see how the culture of the South could possibly produce the same quality as the folks with Mid-West work ethic can.

MDX, I'm afraid, is in my future.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Bought mine new in May '06. Currently has 163k miles on it. Other than basic maintenance (fluid changes, tires, brakes, timing belt/water pump service), the only issues I've had are:

* had to add a shim to the tailgate light switch to get it to work properly (about a 50cent, 15 minute fix)
* had to replace almost all the dashboard switch illumination bulbs once - some around 70k and a couple of them around 162k.
* had the blower motor recall fix done (no problems with the blower motor...just had the recall work done)
* replaced rack and pinion due to a p/s fluid leak at 114k; also had both drive axles replaced at the time since mechanic said one boot was leaking; replaced an outer tie rod
* had to re-solder a couple of resistors on the radio circuit board to get the back lighting working again at 160k

I did get the "rocking" driver seat issue, but it's been a minor annoyance and it didn't pop up until a short time after the warranty expired - hasn't gotten any worse over 4 or 5 years. I did have an irritating rattle in the driver side B pillar for a long time, but haven't noticed it in a while. Thought it might be something related to the seat belt, but I've never diagnosed it.

Only other issue is that whenever I go over bumps I often get a sound like one of the panels in the bed of the truck is loose. Comes from the rear passenger's side. I've never figured out if it's due to something inside the cabin or in the bed of the truck. That's the one thing I wish I could run down and fix. I've beat on the bed panels, but it doesn't seem like any of them are loose.

Been a GREAT vehicle.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
.........................Only other issue is that whenever I go over bumps I often get a sound like one of the panels in the bed of the truck is loose. Comes from the rear passenger's side. I've never figured out if it's due to something inside the cabin or in the bed of the truck. That's the one thing I wish I could run down and fix. I've beat on the bed panels, but it doesn't seem like any of them are loose.

Been a GREAT vehicle.
Regarding your passenger side noise; do you have running boards installed?? If so, check them for loose attachment hardware. Also, believe it or not, you could be hearing a loose windshield washer fluid bottle under the hood. The knocking noise it makes is very misleading & is often mistaken for other things. Check that fastener on the top. Last suggestion is to replace your rear sway bar end link on that side. They are famous for noise over bumps. (that's probably my first suggestion, as a matter of fact, but don't overlook that washer bottle)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought my truck originally in February 2007. I owned it for about 2 years and put about 40k miles on it. Then I traded it in in 2009. I bought the truck back in June of last year with 93k. Other than a bunch of wear on the drivers seat bolster, it looks pretty good. It runs flawlessly and is a daily driver for us.
This one was made in Canada, and seems to be of a high build quality. Sorry if my example is not the most useful due to a 5 year blackout, but it is doing very well at 100k.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My '07 RTS had the best fit and finish. No problems.
My '09 RTL with Navi had good fit and finish. Loved the Mocha color.
My '13 RTL with Navi has the worst finish, with only 1 problem at 38,000. Radio display was bad and had to change radio when new. Guy flew from California to inspect and change at my dealer here in La.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts