Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How may of you who bought the RTL and above think that they paid too much for this truck. Considering all the problems with accessories and lack of exterior & interior items not included in the 32,000+ price. Comoon folts lets be honest & objective about this. This is a well built vehicle, but its a utility vehicle, not really a truck, not full sized, no real off road underbody protection. Do you think "ha ha" that Honda has seriously over priced this vehicle. :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll try and answer this question as best as I can. For me as a work truck I am satisfied with the price I paid. At 11,000 miles plus it goes over rough roads (dirt, gravel, caleche) with out a bouble. Sure sometimes I scrape the bottom but no harm done. I pull our 19" bay boat with no problem and my Honda Forman 4X4 just fine. If I had to tow 5000 or more pounds I would get a full size truck.

My son drives a 2000 Silverado Z71 and likes it OK but he has replaced 3 windows, two on the left side and one on the right at $325 each, front end problems and excessive tire wear and poor gas milage (10-12). 85% of his milage is to work and back on paved roads. Never tows more that our 19' bay boat. He thinks my truck drives great, is quiet and the milage is fine and much better than his and has plenty of room inside. He's considering a new 4 door Silverado Z71 for about the same price as my Ridgeline. He is also looking at a Toyota Tacoma for a few less dollors. He is also considering a Ridgeline. My money is on the Silverado. Price and image will be the reasons he purchases the Silverado. By the way his wife's 2000 Suburban had 2 bad windows ($750), Fuel pump ($700+) and brake modules ($800+). I'll bet her next car will be a Tahoe, go figure.

Cost will be a big factor for a large number of people and I do think that it's affecting sales. The 16-21 MPG average doesn't help eventhough my milage is at least 8MPH better than my Son's.

After all of this I'm happy with my Ridgeline and am not complaing about what I paid.

Tiger

L

·
0 Posts
rogerstruck said:
How may of you who bought the RTL and above think that they paid too much for this truck. Considering all the problems with accessories and lack of exterior & interior items not included in the 32,000+ price. Comoon folts lets be honest & objective about this. This is a well built vehicle, but its a utility vehicle, not really a truck, not full sized, no real off road underbody protection. Do you think "ha ha" that Honda has seriously over priced this vehicle. :confused:
Did you buy one?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I for one am very happy with the price I paid for my Ridge. The alternatives I was considering were SUVs that ranged from 35-40K and up to have similar amenities and safety features. The Tacoma and Frontier couldn't compete since I wasn't going to buy a vehicle without side air bags, and they both told me it would be months before they could get one. Nissan searched the Eastern half of the US for a week trying to find a Frontier or a Pathfinder with side air bags and couldn't even find one! And then there's the way my Ridge rides - no way I could choose any of the other trucks after comparing the ride. In addition, full size pickups are just way more (in size and the associated fuel consumption) than I personally need.

As for problems, I'm at 2,000 miles and mine has been perfect so far. Yes, I would've like to seen the full trailer hitch assembly included on the Ridge since they advertised "Tow Ready". Other than that though, I've never been happier with a vehicle.

Paid too much? Too each his own. And to me, my Ridge was well worth every penny.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do think it is over priced but....

I love the design and looks.

I love the way it drives. The ride is really nice and much better than my 96 T-100 even after I put Michelins on it.

With my wife and a new 15 month old baby girl (we adopted a foster child), it is just the right size for us.

I love the interior - it is a little cheap here and there and I find a lot of sharp and/or hard corners - bottom of the steering wheel where the metal trim is - the taillights are all sharp around the edges - wash mitt gets hung up now and then - and the plastic could be nicer and I don't think there is very much actual leather in the interior. I like the big knobs - wish there were more pre-sets for the radio especially the XM.

I really like the trunk in the bed but really wish the bed was 6-12 inches longer.

I love the Amazon Green paint. I just washed my truck and it is the one that got hailed on but even with the hail, the finish is like liquid. It feels like there is a heavy silky plastic coating on the truck. If you get wax on most of the black plastic trim it just wipes off.

I think the truck should be in the $23,000 - $29,000 range with the $29,000 being the RTL w/moonroof and navi.

Just my 2 cents. Am I going to buy another - YES.

·
Registered
406 Posts
rogerstruck - How much are you asking for yours? It sounds like you want to get rid of it. Did you buy on a whim and now you are sorry, or what?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you priced new vehicles lately roger? No, I don't think I paid too much. And when I trade it in, I won't be loosing my shirt either, as will some folks. (30K + for a conventional truck? Especially with all of the incentives piled on top of them? NO WAY!!!) Now those trucks are overpriced. (why do you think they are offering and can offer such deep incentives???) My RTL is the most balanced vehicle for the price I have bought in nearly 20 years, which would include Lexus, Honda, Acura, Chevy, Chrysler, and Ford.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have no complaints with how much I paid for this truck. I was cross shopping the Frontier and the Tacoma. I felt that the Ridgeline offered the best total package for what I was looking for in a truck.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
About a month ago I paid $30,500 for my RTL w/moonroof with no dealer installed options or accessories (they threw in the pin stripes as a good will gesture). I forget the list price now but it was $33,something. After my trade-in, tax, tags and whatever it was $26,000 out the door. I thought my trade should have fetched more (they gave me like $6500 for a '99 Dodge Dakota STL V6).

I received a call the other day from a fellow who bought my trade-in from the Honda dealer. He wanted to know a few things about the truck. Before he got off the line I asked what he paid and he said $8000 and they gave him 4 new tires (I admit the tires I had were in pretty bad shape). I thought if I could sell it myself I would get a lot more but looks like I thought that Dodge was worth more than it really was.

So, all things considered, I think I paid a fair price for what I wanted. The proof will come in how reliable this truck turns out to be and how it holds it's resale value. Both these factors are usually strong points for Honda.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ladyridge said:
Did you buy one?
Yes I did, I traded my Nissan Armarda for it, the Nissan was a nighmare with bad brakes, stering & no parts to get it fixed. Also p--- poor gas milage. Apart from the priceaid & content, I like my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I paid sticker back in March. I was the first to buy one from my dealership. I would hope one would research a vehicle before buying it. Unless yours is riddled with defects, I can't imagine second guessing it. So, I paid sticker and could care less, love the truck and couldn't be happier. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
$41,000 for an Avalanche, now THAT's overpriced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think I paid too much for mine, I love it, I enjoy driving it, what else can I ask for. I was fortunate to get mine under MSRP with about $2K worth of accessories (being there at the right time), so I have no complaints. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I make a major purchase like a new vehicle, I look at value more than price. I did my research, and made what I thought was the best decision. Since then I have not been disappointed, and am not second-guessing my choice. The RL has value, safety, reliability, and an unquantifiable fun factor! At 4600 miles, my truck has been totally trouble-free, and still puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I do think I paid too much. More than any other vehicle I have bought.
But I don't care because I got one and most other people on the road don't have one and I love it and it is cool and it is mine mine mine!!! :D

Doug

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I won't pick mine up till this Friday, and when all is said and done, I probably paid MSRP but got a bunch of free accessories ;), it depends on how you want to look at it. I was actually trying to talk myself out of a Ridgeline, and my wife, a person who won't pay for expensive things, convinced me when I looked at all the features and compared price and quality I was getting a fair price. So we tried that concept out on the cars I put in the same league, the Tacoma, the Canyon, and the Frontier. When I pushed for equal features in each vehicle, they all came up to very similar price range, when I considered the quality of build, and the feature set of the Honda, the added functionality given by the trunk, the Honda just seemed very reasonable.

Of course my wife is being cost conscience because if I buy something because it is cheaper just to try to appease her, I end up getting rid of it earlier than I probably should. Like my Forester I am trading in which is only 4 years old with 26k miles on it. If I had gone with my original plan for a car, I would have gotten something different and wouldn't be shopping right now.

What I have been surprised about is that people are comparing this with Silverardo 1500s, Tundras and the like, this doesn't compete on that level. Those are all full sized trucks, this is a midsize truck. And then there is the Avalance which is similiar in some ways but really is a very different beast. Not to mention it can tow this car plus whatever it was towing and still have capacity left.

I really like this truck, I keep wanting to go visit my car and make sure things are moving along nicely. I can't wait to get this thing home, and this time I got all the bells I wanted right up front (except the backup camera which I couldn't justify at $1100, and will just have to figure out how to install it myself, and a couple other things I want to try to install myself to give me something to do). I am committed to keep this vehicle for the 7 years I have a warranty on it.

L

·
0 Posts
I work for Honda and a dealership and I paid sticker. It came with all the accessories I wanted such as running boards, fog lights, rear mud flaps, roof rack and side protectors. I added hitch system, bed extender, nose mask. No regrets. You'll NEVER hear me complain about how much I paid.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Compared to the competition, I don't think it was too much. That's what I don't understand about most of the magazine reviews--they must get discounts we don't because they all say that the RL is expensive. Perhaps it is compared to the current discounts that other cars brands are selling but if priced at msrp with all the features, they all come to at least 30-35K. Anyway, nothing new to say here--I agree with you all about the excellent ride and utility balance of this truck. Gotta love the way this truck brakes!

·
Registered
578 Posts
rogerstruck said:
Let's see:
Leather,
Moon room
AWD
Dual climate control
XM
Navi
etc etc
have you priced the competition?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts