Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the owner's manual last night, and then crawling around under the ridgeline this morning, I got the impression there are four discrete sumps that have service intervals on the Ridgeline. One, the engine, of course. Two, the transmission. Three, the distribution case (don't know what it's called) downstream of the transmission for moving torque to four corners of the car. Four, the rear differential.

Each of these uses a different (proprietary, if Honda has its way) lubricant. Each of these has a different service interval.

Can someone confirm that I am understanding this correctly????

Thanks.

Dave :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think you have it right:
1) engine oil
2) tranny oil
3) transfercase oil
4) rear diff oil.

I think the only "tricky" one is the transfer case oil, doesn't it call for 90W gear lube? If it does, becareful, honda doesn't (or atleast didn't) have a 90w oil.

Initially a LOT of S2000 owners took their cars in, came out with busted differentials. Reason being that the S2000 called for 90W oil, but dealers were putting in VTM-4 oil in there, which is NOT the same as 90W oil.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
shingles said:
1) engine oil
2) tranny oil
3) transfercase oil
4) rear diff oil.
From the shop manual:

engine oil: API 5W-20
tranny oil: Always use Honda ATF-Z1. Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
transfer assembly oil: SAE 90or 80W-90 hypoid gear oil API GL4 or GL5 only
Rear diff: Honda VTM-4 Differential Fluid P/N 08200-9003

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shovelhd said:
From the shop manual:
engine oil: API 5W-20
tranny oil: Always use Honda ATF-Z1. Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
transfer assembly oil: SAE 90or 80W-90 hypoid gear oil API GL4 or GL5 only
Rear diff: Honda VTM-4 Differential Fluid P/N 08200-9003
I know you want to stick with the Honda fluid for the tranny and rear diff but I'll probably throw in Mobil1 75W-90 gear lube for the transfer case when the time comes. Already running Mobil1 in the engine.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
vertrkr, I was just reading from the manual. I am already running Mobil1 in my engine, and will continue to use synthetics wherever I can.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shovelhd said:
vertrkr, I was just reading from the manual. I am already running Mobil1 in my engine, and will continue to use synthetics wherever I can.
Ya, read the same. Mobil does make a convential 80W-90 lube but I think the syn 75W-90 should be just fine but I think I'll ask the Honda engineer I know next chance I get just in case.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Please post what you find out here. Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
shingles said:
1) engine oil
2) tranny oil
3) transfercase oil
4) rear diff oil.

I think the only "tricky" one is the transfer case oil, doesn't it call for 90W gear lube? If it does, becareful, honda doesn't (or atleast didn't) have a 90w oil.

Initially a LOT of S2000 owners took their cars in, came out with busted differentials. Reason being that the S2000 called for 90W oil, but dealers were putting in VTM-4 oil in there, which is NOT the same as 90W oil.
why in the world would honda require a lubricant that they didn't provide????

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
vertrkr said:
Ya, read the same. Mobil does make a convential 80W-90 lube but I think the syn 75W-90 should be just fine but I think I'll ask the Honda engineer I know next chance I get just in case.

Ok, finally got around to asking this question. He said Mobil 75W-90 would be just fine for the transfer case. He did say it's a bit more viscous so there be a very small hit in gas milage but you'd probably not notice. He said it's an excellent product and would be a fine choice.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Great news guys! Thanks for the follow up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts