Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2010 F-150 Platinum that is ready for a new owner...
We tow a 16' Airstream and I'm sure the new Ridgeline would be a perfect replacement if...there is enough height to stow stuff in that bed!
For example my Honda generators are 16.7" tall and I want them under a tonneau cover. I've tried using pictures and a scale to "guesstimate" the dimension but it's a guess at best...
Anyone have anything?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
There aren't any measurements yet. Joe was not permitted to use a tape measure when he saw it in Detroit.

Going strictly off the photos -- the bed depth looks to be about the same as the 1st gen was ... at the tailgate.

Chip H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There aren't any measurements yet. Joe was not permitted to use a tape measure when he saw it in Detroit.

Going strictly off the photos -- the bed depth looks to be about the same as the 1st gen was ... at the tailgate.

Chip H.
As I did not own a first gen Ridgeline do you have that number?
Many thanks!
Bruce

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an Extang soft tonneau on my 2013 sport, by the tailgate, depth measures 16.25". This measurement is to the aluminum rail that the tonneau sits on.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've checked multiple times over the years whenever I buy something I need to put under the tonneau. I BELIEVE it's around 21". I'll check again for you. BTW, the unevenness of the old bed sometimes allowed you to put the feet of something in the grooves to gain another half an inch or so. Going out to check now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ooops. Good thing I checked. 15 1/2 to 16" A little more depth at the front of the bed. That differential likely will be gone due to the new design. Also I have the BakFlip G2 Tonneau.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Something else to explore is the depth of the trunk. You said "generators" plural, and the G2 with it's wider trunk might be able to hold them.

If you do this, I would pull the drain plug so there's some ventilation in there. In case gas fumes build up.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,895 Posts
Wonder how much those generators weigh? I believe the G1 has a 300 lb weight limit for the trunk.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have it posted on here somewhere the model Igloo Marine cooler with fish measurement lid I got this to fit in the bed but under the OEM Tonneau Cover.
It's a medium size cooler but it slides under Tonneau if need you cant put in in-bed trunk. So I wonder also about bed depth of Next Gen Ridgeline.
If you don't use cover or have it off would not be a problem.
That 15inches is around the correct measurement with 1st Ridgeline.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A side note on the trunk. I saw a video with a Honda generator in it with lots of room to spare height wise. So you could look up Hondas generators and get the specs off of it and compare them to yours for a rough Est.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonder how much those generators weigh? I believe the G1 has a 300 lb weight limit for the trunk.
After blowing out my back lifting my 3k Honda EU3000is (150 pounds with a full tank) we've traded it in on a pair of 50 pound EU2000i's! More capacity and a recovering back! Never considered using the trunk for the generators...

I've never had a "topper" on a truck either but that could work too...
Bruce

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,407 Posts
Bruce, Just out of curiosity, what does a pair of EU2000i's allow you to operate on the Airstream. Just wondering?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With a pair of 2000's running and connected with Honda's parallel cables we can run everything in the trailer! In our case the monster is Airconditioning... I'd wager that you could run our little 11,000 btu unit on a single 2000 if it was not really hot out but it wouldn't be good for the electric motor.... With both running, they slip into low idle (Eco mode) and if our battery is low that will charge at the same time.
I can actually run the entire 120 volt side of the Airstream with a single Honda EU3000is (my favorite generator) but my back really didn't like me lifting its 150 pounds anymore...so two of the 47 pound 2000's it is!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's our little home away from home!
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here it is being towed by my "soon to be someone else's 2010 Platinum F-150...
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Max trailer weight loaded is 4300 pounds. Tongue weight is 475 pounds (measured with my Sherline scale. We typically tow at about 3900 to 4000 pounds.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Do you really need the WDH if you pile the heavy stuff so it sits behind the axle? (getting tongue weight closer to 10%)

Chip H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That hitch has such a huge impact on the trailering experience that I will never tow anything of this size or larger without one... You have to experience the results to understand the difference...
I've switched to a Hensley from the ProPride now but they are similar in design

1 - 20 of 30 Posts