Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,720 Posts
Good job, what was the bale-count?

(Me, I don't miss my 30 years of horse ownership one bit! :LOL: ;))

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just 12, longer bed would help with that. Did your horse tend to get his bit in his teeth?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
With the rear seat folded up, I bet you could have crammed 2 or 3 more in there! :D

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Did your horse tend to get his bit in his teeth?
I was not a horseman in my youth, I married a horsewoman. We had three of 'em (quarter horses / paints, mares or geldings) on our property most of those 30 years. Fortunately my wife had a very good eye and hand for horses, all of them over the years took to the bit well.

Having horses prompted my / our 'move to acreage in the country' for which I am eternally grateful. I / we enjoyed the trail-riding scene for those 3 decades. I'm still enjoying life on that property but now 10-years single and without horses, the hay-and-horse barn converted to storage / workshop, the acres unencumbered of paddocks and cross-fencing once needed for horse management. The horse-trailers are long gone too, I still have the 16' flatbed trailer we used for hay-hauling (we bought hay out of the coastal Bermuda-grass fields of a neighbor) though the ever-present pickup was used to haul sweet-feed and grain in the bed.

The memories are good but nope, I don't miss 'em. ;)

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was not a horseman in my youth, I married a horsewoman. We had three of 'em (quarter horses / paints, mares or geldings) on our property most of those 30 years. Fortunately my wife had a very good eye and hand for horses, all of them over the years took to the bit well.

Having horses prompted my / our 'move to acreage in the country' for which I am eternally grateful. I / we enjoyed the trail-riding scene for those 3 decades. I'm still enjoying life on that property but now 10-years single and without horses, the hay-and-horse barn converted to storage / workshop, the acres unencumbered of paddocks and cross-fencing once needed for horse management. The horse-trailers are long gone too, I still have the 16' flatbed trailer we used for hay-hauling (we bought hay out of the coastal Bermuda-grass fields of a neighbor) though the ever-present pickup was used to haul sweet-feed and grain in the bed.

The memories are good but nope, I don't miss 'em. ;)
Did you tow a horse trailer with a Ridgeline? I'll probably try that sometime. Like you, I married a horsewoman (don't think it was the same woman) but we didn't make the move to horse property until our mid-60's (not that long ago, I might add.) Don't know if we'll get 3 decades! One day at a time these days, anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Attaboy. I got a La=Z-Boy recliner in a 1978 Dodge Omni, I think I even got the hatchback closed.
I used to haul 10' boards in my '02 Accord, including 1x12s, with the trunk lid closed. I can't remember if i hauled any 12-footers...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to haul 10' boards in my '02 Accord, including 1x12s, with the trunk lid closed. I can't remember if i hauled any 12-footers...
Have to poke those out the front passenger window. I get a little nervous hauling 12-footers in my Ridgeline, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Did you tow a horse trailer with a Ridgeline?
No, RL (2019 RTL-E is my first) came long after horses were gone.

Started towing a basic steel 2-horse trailer with a V-6 Ranger, then several F150's w/V-8, finally graduated to 2-Horse + living quarters gooseneck towed with an F350 dually diesel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, RL (2019 RTL-E is my first) came long after horses were gone.

Started towing a basic steel 2-horse trailer with a V-6 Ranger, then several F150's w/V-8, finally graduated to 2-Horse + living quarters gooseneck towed with an F350 dually diesel.
Serious hardware, thanks.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Not an obsession, but yeah, horses were a big part of our life in the country for a long time, as they still are for many of my neighbors crossing multi-generation lines. I definitely live in 'horse and hay country' east of Austin, 'coastal Bermuda hybrid' thrives in our climate and soil.

A glimpse of of my former grazing pasture, 10-years after horses (obviously not for cutting hay, we elected to keep a lot of trees when we cleared this piece):
IMG_0976.JPG

And an old shot in winter when things are bare and dormant, horses living on hay and sweet-feed (barn and paddock in the left background, house off-camera farther left) ..
pasture.JPG

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice grounds, beautiful truck!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thanks, Features the Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, and I thought the old 2011 looked good in that light!
Beautiful country and view, congrats!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts