Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Boss amp is very popular. I have one and it doesn't turn on, so I need another.

Despite the Boss amp's claims, I feel confident that it's no more than about a 20 - 25-watt amp. I say this because it uses a 5A fuse, so unless they're totally disregarding all semblance of safety, that means it draws probably something like 3 amps of current on the input side. It's a class-AB amp, so there's no possibility it's more than ~60% efficient, and it could be quite a bit less. All that adds up to no more than 20 - 25 watts of output power, average (aka RMS).

So... Has anyone put a bigger amp to the factory sub? How much power have you put to it? How well did it work? How long did it last?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
605 Posts
I know the Boss amp is very popular. I have one and it doesn't turn on, so I need another.

Despite the Boss amp's claims, I feel confident that it's no more than about a 20 - 25-watt amp. I say this because it uses a 5A fuse, so unless they're totally disregarding all semblance of safety, that means it draws probably something like 3 amps of current on the input side. It's a class-AB amp, so there's no possibility it's more than ~60% efficient, and it could be quite a bit less. All that adds up to no more than 20 - 25 watts of output power, average (aka RMS).

So... Has anyone put a bigger amp to the factory sub? How much power have you put to it? How well did it work? How long did it last?
Interesting question but I bet the aren't many people out there who bothered to Install an amp without upgrading the speaker as well.

·
Registered
'20 BE w/Skid Plates, Upgraded Stereo
69 Posts
Has anyone put a bigger amp to the factory sub? How much power have you put to it? How well did it work? How long did it last?
Interesting question but I bet the aren't many people out there who bothered to Install an amp without upgrading the speaker as well.
If you're going to install an amp, you're definitely going to replace the OEM speakers. The Kicker CompRT 8" subwoofer is a perfectly sized replacement for the OEM subwoofer in the OEM enclosure.

For amps, the Rockford Fosgate R500X1D is a smallish amp to drive the sub. I'm sure that there are many alternatives.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely NOT replace the speaker. That particular Rockford amp is ludicrously over-power for the factory sub, with full-range speakers running off a Pioneer head unit. Rockford has a mono amp rated for half that power which is possibly appropriate, but that’s why I posted the question.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
605 Posts
I will definitely NOT replace the speaker. That particular Rockford amp is ludicrously over-power for the factory sub, with full-range speakers running off a Pioneer head unit. Rockford has a mono amp rated for half that power which is possibly appropriate, but that’s why I posted the question.
Why are you so against upgrading the subwoofer? If you want to install a sub amp I assume you are looking for improved bass. So for 150 dollars and practically no additional labor over what you were already planning, you could have a much better result. Well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
1) I'd be against it as it's more work than I feel like doing
2) I've been in a truck with that stock speaker hitting seriously hard with good clean power

As for how much you need to search this section of the forum for posts and or threads by @OhSix, I think he's still hitting the stock sub hard years later, but I could be wrong

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d seen a report from OhSix. If he still has that setup, then I feel comfy with the available choices.

Steve, ‘against’ really isn’t the appropriate term. I have a hard budget limit, I don’t feel like doing all that disassembly & reassembly, and I’m not interested in several other options that many people here have pursued over time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As long as you don't abuse the gain, I'd feel comfortable sending that power to the sub.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Hey buwnkl, I'm pretty sure I've dumped every last bit of a Zapco ST-2X into the factory sub at least a couple of times. Wired mono, that's around 160W of clean class a/b power.

If he still has that setup, then I feel comfy with the available choices.
Yep. She's still holding up, lo these many years later. And it's a good thing too because life keeps getting the way of building the system assembled several years ago.

I'm actually shocked by the factory sub's resilience. One would assume a 10 year life span be reasonable life expectancy, but this thing keeps the energizer bunny thing going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts