Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Never (I like 'em dirty!)

Votes: 5 4.1%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was driving home from work and silently stewing because I had just washed my RL two days ago and it got attacked by rabid sprinklers, causing water spots all over my windows and one side of my truck (so it's half spotted, half not, ugh!). But instead of wiping down my truck or re-washing it, I did what any good Ridge-aholic would and got on here to post this poll. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Actually twice a week. After leaving the track on Sunday it's a disaster from the dust and on Wednesday night when Drew and I have our Mother-Son evening out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Much hate for sprinklers running off of well water with loads of calcium creating hard to remove spots on everything. Oh and also said sprinklers going off during working hours.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am lucky if I get to drive my truck 2 days out of 7. The rest of the time he sleeps under his car cover and is darn near perfect whens he wakes up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My RL has had more baths in 2 weeks than my van had in four years. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been washing weekly. But due to the price of gas I have started car pooling to work. So My truck will stay cleaner longer. So I will probably wash once every 2 weeks.

Can you beleive the price of gas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Twice a week wasn't listed..So I picked once a day. Hey I got black, nuff said. :eek: :D :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
RidgeMe said:
Twice a week wasn't listed..So I picked once a day. Hey I got black, nuff said. :eek: :D :cool:

Yes, I'd say black gets dirty pretty quickly.

My RL was clean before this camping trip too. But camping aside, I give it a wash every other week or so.

L

·
0 Posts
dratsab said:

My RL was clean before this camping trip too. But camping aside, I give it a wash every other week or so.
Hey dratsab, is there REALLY a Ridgeline under there?? Wow..nothing like fully enjoying your ride. Nicely done!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Wash? Heck, I invented and installed a custom field generater that repels all water, mud, chicken poop (yes, a hazzard at my place), cat footprints, dust, foreign objects, kids, basketballs, red juice, lipstick, crayons, and body odor from my Ridge!

My beef is that I currently have to wash my Ridge at my own expense (living in the country, on a well, I don't dare wash it w/ the hard water at home) - my dealership told me that "We will be sending you a car wash card pre-loaded with 10 to 12 washes on it" and that they "add more car washes" when you get your truck serviced with them. That was 5000 miles (less than 2 months) ago. <sigh> Please don't tell me my sales weasel.. ehem...person lied to me.

Thankfully, I am a proud owner of the best color of RL out there - SILVER (which rhymes w/ pilver, milver, and lilver, but none of which are really words, but rhyme nonetheless) - which does not show (very much) dirt easily.

- ridgeln

L

·
0 Posts
ridgeln said:
Wash? Heck, I invented and installed a custom field generater that repels all water, mud, chicken poop (yes, a hazzard at my place), cat footprints, dust, foreign objects, kids, basketballs, red juice, lipstick, crayons, and body odor from my Ridge!

My beef is that I currently have to wash my Ridge at my own expense (living in the country, on a well, I don't dare wash it w/ the hard water at home) - my dealership told me that "We will be sending you a car wash card pre-loaded with 10 to 12 washes on it" and that they "add more car washes" when you get your truck serviced with them. That was 5000 miles (less than 2 months) ago. <sigh> Please don't tell me my sales weasel.. ehem...person lied to me.

Thankfully, I am a proud owner of the best color of RL out there - SILVER (which rhymes w/ pilver, milver, and lilver, but none of which are really words, but rhyme nonetheless) - which does not show (very much) dirt easily.

- ridgeln
YOU ARE THE BOMB!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
dratsab said:

I can't believe you are using your Ridge like a truck! What will those Nissan Titan guys think now? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I wash mine once a week. It's black so I use a two-bucket method.
A good coat of polish/wax keeps it cleaner and easier to wash.
And because of the potential for water spotting, I wash it in the early morning or on cloudy days if possible. Towel drying it (cotton) also helps keep it spotless.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What Basils said - exactly. I do use the Mr. Clean rinse. If the poll had 'twice per Week", that would be more accurate in my case. I hate it when it gets dirty.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree with basils, keep the car polished and it will stay cleaner longer. In fact, I just finished washing my Ridge a few minutes ago. It might be interesting to see what products folks use when they wash and how they go about it so please post your MO. Here is what I did today: went to the car wash and used the soapy brush to clean the bed and wheel wells (I never would use the car wash on the paint itself). I took it home and washed it using Turtle Wax car wash and two wash mitts. I used the gas blower to remove most of the water and dried what was left with microfiber towels.

I then went all around the truck looking for little road grime marks and bugs I might have missed and gave them a shot of Windex followed by a whack with my nylon covered bug scrubber, followed by a damp microfiber towel. I washed all my windows, mirrors, moon roof and windshield, inside and out, with Stoner's Invisible Glass (which I highly recommend) and microfiber towels (NEVER use paper towels). Blue Coral's Wheel Magic took care of the alloy wheels followed by an application to the tires of Meguiar's "ENDURANCE" tire protectant gel.

I use Klasse All-In-One polish and put two coats on back in May, shortly after buying the Ridgeline. I intend to put another application on in November. The Klasse polish is great (and easy too!) and I probably will never have to use wax if I use this stuff twice a year (not on a Silver Ridgeline anyway). After a good wash like today, I like to apply Eagle One's Wipe & Shine. It is a quick detailing spray that enhances the gloss and finish between the Klasse applications and makes it easier to remove dust with my California duster, which I use about three times a week. Like the Klasse, the Wipe & Shine is so easy. You spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel - there is no need to buff.

Finally the inside. Lexol leather conditioner is very good and I highly recommend the wipes or you will leave a lot of the lotion inside the seat holes. I have wanted to try Protectant 33 for vinyl and rubber but have not gotten around to it - lots of people say they love this stuff. So far, the Vinylex Quick Wipes have worked very well for me and I used it on the dash, doors and even the outside rubber on the back bumper. And last but not least, I took my little mini vac to the floor and carpet. Of course I checked everything under the hood too and do this every time I wash.

So, in about three hours time (including a coffee break of course) I had washed my Ridge about as well as even an experienced detailer would. And you know what? It looks beautiful AND it was a lot of fun!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just discovered this thread...but I am new to the ROC. Anyway, I used to wash my vehicle weekly, but now I use the California Car Duster and don't have to wash it that often. I "dust" the car in the evening, weather permitting, and the car stays surprisingly clean. http://calcarduster.com/detailingKit.asp.

In the winter (New England) I'll take my vehicle to a wash bay just to hose the salt off it (I also hose underneath the vehicle and inside the wheel wells). I'm not as concerned with it being shiny, I just want to get the salt off. I'll do this with my Ridge too.

Cheers,

·
Registered
774 Posts
Damn That's a camping trip:D

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I usually wash my vehicles once a week and, during the warmer months (Here in WI....which are basically March through Oct.), I like to give them a good wax once every 4 to 6 weeks. Like, basils said, it's easier to wash the bird poop, etc. off when it's got a nice coat of wax on it. Especially getting those stinkin' bugs off..... they come off much easier when the vehicle is waxed.

I also take my Ridge through the local car wash at least once a week during the winter. It has an under carriage flush and I like to get that salt off the under carriage, frame, etc.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I've washed the truck by hand 5 times by hand, once by car wash, and waxed twice in the last 2 months of ownership. The salt is a killer here in Wisconsin!! Especially on black!!

I used 3 step Meguiar's for the wax job.
Mr. Clean system on the car wash.

From what I've been hearing about the Klasse combo I will probably go that route when I finish up my Meguairs.
303 will probably replace the Armourall...
Lexol leather conditioner will replace the Meguiar's Leather cleaner.
Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner will replace the Windex..

Nothing like great Info on the ROC!!

& a howdi hi to a fellow Wiconsinite cdepuydt
:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts