Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2006 with 180k miles. Would rather not spend a lot of time in the shop of course, tell me your stories of the super-lasting Ridgeline (in salt country...). Probably not far from another timing belt/pump? What are best things to look out for and how? Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Looking at a 2006 with 180k miles. Would rather not spend a lot of time in the shop of course, tell me your stories of the super-lasting Ridgeline (in salt country...). Probably not far from another timing belt/pump? What are best things to look out for and how? Many thanks.
A friend of mine has an "06" lifted with over 210,000 miles on her. He hasnt had any major issues just normal wear. Its going in for the water pump, timing belt for the second time soon. He doesnt take care of it like I do with mine :act029:. and we are in the salt country. His is showing a slight bit of rust on the front of the hood from chips and of course underneath but not bad. He talks about it starting to loosen up in the front suspension part of it but hes not worried about it (meaning new shocks). What does one expect from something with over 210,000 on it. He still likes it and will drive it till she dies.:act035:
Edit: if it means anything hes first owner.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I purchased an 06 from salt country last year with 178,000 miles. It's a particularly noisy truck but I believe it's an uncommon noise (my specific issue). I have rust above my wheel wells and on the nose of my hood. Other than that it runs strong and I like it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have to say that if I was going to buy an older RL (high or low mileage), and lived in "salt country", I'd invest in a one-way plane ticket & go buy one from Arizona, So. Calif., Texas? (not coastal), or someplace like that. You'd more than make up for your travel expenses in vehicle condition preserved, IMO.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to say that if I was going to buy an older RL (high or low mileage), and lived in "salt country", I'd invest in a one-way plane ticket & go buy one from Arizona, So. Calif., Texas? (not coastal), or someplace like that. You'd more than make up for your travel expenses in vehicle condition preserved, IMO.
Certainly is tempting, although was hoping/assuming that the higher ride height of a pickup would keep a lot of the worst away compared with cars up here in terms of corrosion.

Part of the reason I am looking cheap and old is because I likely will get into the new generation when it comes around, but really need a 3rd vehicle now for spot duty as the teens steal my other wheels.

Thank you for everyone's input.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I would have paid the slightly higher price to get one in Texas instead of the Chicago area. The rust repair I will have to do will make up the difference. :act060:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I'll pick on you :act030: dont say that, Im in salt country and mine is still showin great. Little off roadin and all. Well taken care of and anything the RL wont go thru I have the Yamaha Rhino to do the job.:act035: Its all good. Mine will be up for sale when the new one comes out unless some family member wants. Or if I can talk the wife into drivin it and givin up the CRV that would be great. Hell I'd even drive the older RL. Some take care of there $hit others dont. It aint all about the south they have their issues to.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'll pick on you :act030: dont say that, Im in salt country and mine is still showin great. Little off roadin and all. Well taken care of and anything the RL wont go thru I have the Yamaha Rhino to do the job.:act035: Its all good. Mine will be up for sale when the new one comes out unless some family member wants. Or if I can talk the wife into drivin it and givin up the CRV that would be great. Hell I'd even drive the older RL. Some take care of there $hit others dont. It aint all about the south they have their issues to.
Yeah, I could never figure out why some "salt country" cars (of same make) get hit worse with rust than others. Maybe some counties/states use more real salt vs. the other substitute materials? Or maybe it's proximity to the ocean? In any case, there certainly is a wide range of "how much" salt damage gets incurred. Some of the pics I've seen on this forum are atrocious! I'm sure that for those who regularly clean underneath & keep the truck garaged, it wouldn't be as bad. But given the uncertainty of the issue, I'd still opt for one from a place where the issue simply does not exist.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is an '06, 200,000kms. Still rides fine, has not required anything but preventative maintenance. Rust wise - just around the gas filler door, rusting from the inside out as water gets inside the door and under the weld. And rock chip rust above the windshield (hood has deflector).

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am looking at a sample now that was given the full "extra" underbody treatment when new. As much as those treatments seem like hoooey to me, this one looks quite good presumably because of it, most impressively with little to no rust around the towing bits, where my father's has a lot of rust.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Yeah, I could never figure out why some "salt country" cars (of same make) get hit worse with rust than others. Maybe some counties/states use more real salt vs. the other substitute materials? Or maybe it's proximity to the ocean? In any case, there certainly is a wide range of "how much" salt damage gets incurred. Some of the pics I've seen on this forum are atrocious! I'm sure that for those who regularly clean underneath & keep the truck garaged, it wouldn't be as bad. But given the uncertainty of the issue, I'd still opt for one from a place where the issue simply does not exist.
I had mine Auto Armored when I bought it. I try the best I can on keepin it clean and is parked outdoors all year long and still looks great. Do a bit off roadin but not much anymore I use my Yamaha Rhino now to save the RL. The chemicals we use on the roads now are terrible for everything.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Beach cars get more surface rust including the upper body.
Salt country vehicles more bottom rust. The 'cure' for both would be more frequent washings that include the under-carriage.

I am not sure how effective even steam cleaning is as a first step in apply a rust preventive coat on a higher mileage vehicle.
I would say no treatments at all unless it is a relatively new vehicle, unless the the one doing the cleaning can guarantee to get every nook and cranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also looking at an 06 RL with 148k on it and I keep hearing the #4 cylinder "goes bad" and the "whole motor" has to be replaced? What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I finally went with even older than I was asking... 163k on a 2008 RTX. Having driven a half-dozen older ones in my search, have to say this one feels buttoned up pretty good, tranny and engine feel strong and tight, suspension feels like a 100k+ Honda. Rust seems reasonable or better for the age. Going to need attention to those OhToo sensors. The old maxim holds that noone can pull off 28k miles a year without the majority of those being highways miles, right?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
When you find a good one, you've got to go for it. I once bought a 135K mile Civic and wondered if I was crazy doing so (I never regretted it... that was a great car well beyond 300K). But it was FAR better than any of the 70 or 80K mile Civics I had already looked at. Yes, it was all highway miles, and the previous owner was meticulous about maintenance & appearance care.... plus it was always garaged, even at work. Sometimes the numbers don't say it all.
Good Luck with your new ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts