Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How to bolt Aux Fuel Transfer tank to bed

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  48218 
#1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller. I've had my 07 RDS for 13 years and 170 miles and still love it (except for the radio light going out in yr 4). The easy solution would be to change trucks but this one is not a daily driver, suits my needs and I know the history and trust it. I recently bought a boat (in the water with no trailer) with a 220 gallon gas tank. Gas on the water is $1 to $2 more than an on land gas station. That's $220 to $440 savings per fill up if I can buy on land. The best gas mileage I get creeping along is 4MPG and cruising I get 1.2 mpg. I give this much detail so people understand the need as well as don't suggest jerry cans.

I'd like to install this 110 gallon transfer tank and pump Aux tank in the bed up against the cab. There is space (barely fits and the total weight full would be about 800 lbs full. Will impede the opening of the trunk slightly but that's ok plus I want to make it removable). I would not be driving around with gas in the tank for long. The question is how to mount to the bed. I've only found one post the covers removing the bed but was not helpful for this. I am thinking of mounting a piece of marine grade plywood to the bed and then mounting the tank to the plywood with screws coming up from the plywood with nyloc nuts to make it removable for the infrequent times I need the entire bed. Thinking I could remove front tie downs and find longer screws (challenge 1) and use those to hold down the front of the plywood. The problem is how do I attach to the back just short of the opening for the trunk (challenge #2). I see that there are caps there for the bolts that hold the trunk cover. Maybe I could find longer bolts for that too?

Looking for alternate ideas as well as bolt specifications and ideas where to find longer ones. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to haul fuel around in my pickups for the tractors constantly (when tractors and their fuel tanks were smaller). A ~100 gallon diesel tank and pump did not need to be bolted down. If you want to keep it from moving around (other than by not driving like a maniac (-: ), can you run a cinch strap around it from the tie-down cleats at the front of the bed?

#3 ·
I like the idea of using a ratchet strap to keep it in place, although at 155lbs empty I can also see not wanting to pull it out more often than you have to while still keeping it safe from thieves. What about a padded chain and lock to keep it snug and secure?

Reactions: McChizzle
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.