Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone clarify settings to vent in just fresh air using the blower fan without the heating/AC modulating the temperature? Whenever I try to do this and the outside temperature varies from the dash temperature setting the heating/AC kicks on. If I turn the heating/AC system off I can't use the blower fan to regulate air flow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The system has to remain on, take it out of Auto by lowering temp all the way down to "LO," turn A/C to off, and recirc (yellow light) to off should not be lit (drawing outside air), you can then adjust fan (blower) speed for drawing in outside air.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
If I recall correctly, I have used the fan speed buttons on my gen1 to start the HVAC system and control vented airflow. I don't recall whether or not the system tried to control the temperature.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My preferred way of taking it out of "auto mode" is by adjusting the fan speed. Then, i'd recommend pressing a/c to make sure it is off. And, as someone else said, also turning off the recirculation.

This is my first vehicle with the automatic climate control, and I'm not sure how big of a fan i am. I guess it never bothered me to adjust an "old-fashioned" one. Several times with this new one the a/c has been on without me knowing it. My biggest annoyance is like this morning, it was 46 degrees. I get in for my 10min drive to work, and the temp is set to "low." I know it is a first-world problem, but for some reason it's a P.I.T.A. to adjust it to "high." Then, this afternoon, i get in to come home, and it is 80 degrees and hot inside the vehicle, and the temp setting is on "high." It just seemed more convenient with a non-automatic system to just turn the knob from hot to cold, or whatever. It's really not a big deal. I have found the automatic climate control to be nice on longer drives. I dont know. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My preferred way of taking it out of "auto mode" is by adjusting the fan speed. Then, i'd recommend pressing a/c to make sure it is off. And, as someone else said, also turning off the recirculation.

This is my first vehicle with the automatic climate control, and I'm not sure how big of a fan i am. I guess it never bothered me to adjust an "old-fashioned" one. Several times with this new one the a/c has been on without me knowing it. My biggest annoyance is like this morning, it was 46 degrees. I get in for my 10min drive to work, and the temp is set to "low." I know it is a first-world problem, but for some reason it's a P.I.T.A. to adjust it to "high." Then, this afternoon, i get in to come home, and it is 80 degrees and hot inside the vehicle, and the temp setting is on "high." It just seemed more convenient with a non-automatic system to just turn the knob from hot to cold, or whatever. It's really not a big deal. I have found the automatic climate control to be nice on longer drives. I dont know. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Not sure what you are referring to with low and high? We are also getting cold mornings and hot afternoons right now. I set mine to 72 and it runs the heat in the morning and the ac in the afternoon at the appropriate fan speed.

·
Registered
2020 USDM RTL-E Pacific Pewter
6 Posts
That only takes those things out of auto mode. Each function that is not manually overridden remains under automatic control.

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
Even with the AC Off, the compressor will run occasionally in cold weather. That is done to keep the compressor seals lubricated.
If you manually set the A/C to "OFF", the compressor will not run unless windshield or windshield/floor is selected and the temperature is above freezing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hum....that makes more sense. Never owned a vehicle that would occasionally cycle the compressor when it was manually turned off.👌

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
I've heard the recommendation for years to run the compressor periodically to help prevent the compressor shaft seal from leaking, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen that printed in any owner's manual or service information dating back to my grandmother's '76 Monte Carlo. My grandfather was a mechanic who also worked on MVAC systems and I don't recall him ever doing or recommending this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts