Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
IMO these brake boosters don't hold enough vaccum for more than 1 power assist, with the engine off.

Are you guys on the brake pedal while turning your truck off to park?

I tried this and sure enough next start brake pedal was hard for me.
I always hold the brake while putting it in park and shutting the truck off. I’ve never had the hard brake issue. If I remember, I’ll pump the brakes with the engine off and see how many pushes I get before getting the hard pedal.

Edit: I started the truck after sitting for a couple of hours. On the third push of the brake pedal, it did not go down as far, it stopped and would not go farther. I did not dare try a 4th push. It did start when I hit the start switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2018 Ridge gets the hard brake pedal syndrome whenever the temp goes below 35 degrees F. It happened last winter and it's back now that the temps are falling. The pedal will be stiff but not so much that I can't get the beastie started. I've read that there is a check valve in the vacuum line between the engine and the brake booster. The line has apparently been updated since it has an "A02" part number. Mine's not bad enough to fool with but if anyone does the swap let us know how it goes.

Master power tube PN 46402-TZ5-A02 (about $25)

·
Registered
485 Posts
My 2018 Ridge gets the hard brake pedal syndrome whenever the temp goes below 35 degrees F. It happened last winter and it's back now that the temps are falling. The pedal will be stiff but not so much that I can't get the beastie started. I've read that there is a check valve in the vacuum line between the engine and the brake booster. The line has apparently been updated since it has an "A02" part number. Mine's not bad enough to fool with but if anyone does the swap let us know how it goes.

Master power tube PN 46402-TZ5-A02 (about $25)
Happening on the Passport also, which most likely has the A02 valve. Seems to be a seasonal problem when winter arrives. I don't think Honda is spending much time on solving this problem which has been happening for several years. Probably in the same file cabinet as the hood flutter problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO these brake boosters don't hold enough vaccum for more than 1 power assist, with the engine off.

Are you guys on the brake pedal while turning your truck off to park?

I tried this and sure enough next start brake pedal was hard for me.
Negative. I have had starts with the problem in one hour and others at 12 hours. In the beginning no issues. I always shut down the same way and a brake pedal is not involved. Mine is back in for the second go-round. First fix lasted about 3,000 miles. I too expect a faulty booster issue. Some work others don't. That is my thought. My mechanic (neighborhood not Honda mechanic) agrees.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts