Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you might have seen my other thread, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1179225

Well, here's my best attempt at an install tutorial. It was below freezing so I forgot to take pictures of some steps. I'll try to explain the best I can.

What's in the box?

1 - LED Bar (I bought an extra one for a friend)
1 - Wire Harness (some sellers don't include this)
2 - Brackets
4 - bolts
2 - Allen keys
2 - Rubber Feet

Initial Test

I wanted to make sure the LED bar wasn't DOA. I simply hooked it up to the battery. Was BLOWN away by the brightness.

(These pictures don't do it justice)

Removing the bumper

Read:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2395&highlight=Front+Bumper+remove

And:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/frontgrille.pdf

Basically pop off the 7 plastic tabs, five 10mm bolts on the bottom, and two philips screws in the wheel wells. Pull gently on each side until the bumper pops out of the clips.

The bumper is extremely light and can easily be carried by one person.

Cutting the Bumper

First lined up the light to see if it would fit. It does :)

Using a Dremel with a Cutting Wheel, I cut out the vertical posts and trimmed the black plastic up to the steel blue paint. (about 1/2 inch on all sides)

I used a file to clean up the edges.

Modifying the bracket

I drilled a hole 1 7/8" from the bottom of the bracket. These holes will be used to mount the light and make it the perfect height to shine through the newly trimmed hole.

Drilling into the bumper - fail

In the previous picture, you might have thought... "wtf is that strip of metal for?"

Let me explain.

At first, I planned to drill a hole straight through the metal bumper. Then securing it with 5" bolts, locking nuts, and washers.

I was unable to even make a dent into the bumper's reinforced steel... so... that was the end of that.

Maybe if you have nicer drill bits or a press, you can get through it. I don't so I moved to plan b.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Plan B: Ghetto but sturdy

I went to Home Depot and purchased a strip of metal with holes pre-drilled every inch or so.
($5 - I don't know the name of it, can someone chime in?)

Using a hacksaw, I cut two - 10" pieces.

Using a vise, I bent both strips 45 degrees, about 4 inches from the end.

I also picked up a set of Rubber Fender Washers to prevent the light from spinning.

I first mounted the strips to the light, then I bent each strip accordingly, until it reached one of the bolts that secure the radiator. Making sure that it wouldn't rub up against or bump anything. Finally, I bolted the strip on.

(light is salty because I took these photos a few days after the install)

Breaching the firewall

Read:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176988&postcount=18

I used a flat screwdriver to pry open the gasket. Then I simply fed the harness inside. Attached the switch to the harness, then mounted it to my dashboard.

Finishing up

Feed the harness through the chassis.

Attach the harness to the battery. Red goes to Red. Black goes to black or ground it on any metal surface in the car

IMPORTANT: TEST THE LIGHT BEFORE PUTTING ON THE BUMPER!!!!

Tighten all the bolts. Line up the bumper and make sure the light is positioned nicely.

Put the bumper back on and GO OUT AND TEST DRIVE IT!

Final Results

Before:

After:

Animated comparison:

Here's a picture of my Honda Ridgeline with the light off/on:

And here's a picture with the light super-imposed over my truck.

All-in-all, I LOVE THIS LIGHT.

Took about 2 hours from start to finish. (minus driving to home depot)

Sturdy. Definitely not going anywhere. No one will be able to steal this unless they take off your bumper. (can't be yanked off, since it isnt mount to plastic)

Thanks for looking and good luck with your mods!

-

Reactions: NYbiomed

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Nice....

It's called perforated strapping, / perforated hanger iron. ( At least that's what we call it here ! ).

:act030:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Interesting... Not sure we could do the same here in Cali. The front license plate would almost hide the middle third. No plate equals ticket here.

However, might be worth a single row rather than the dual row that you have. Not only would this not be blocked by the plate, but air flow wouldn't be as restricted and would still get more light then there is currently.

Loosing the lower row would also need an adjustment as to how to mount. Will have to ponder this a bit

·
Registered
55 Posts
got my bar ordered and will install soon. did you consider mounting in in the lower long vent below the plate frame? thats where im looking for mine if there is enough clearance.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
sick
i don't know why i would need this.
is it because i'm getting old?
i want it though!
but i don't drive through areas where i need that extra light.
sick sick and bright!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about doing the same setup on my ridgeline but have some concerns about the location of it. Did installing the light bar there effect your running temps at all?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Definitely looks good, thanks for taking the time to draft the post. After following a Ram with a roof mounted light bar down ID 55 in the Payette River gorge, I decided I have to have some more light up front! I like where you mounted your, but like an earlier poster commented, in OR and ID we have a front plate. Will have to look at how to make this work / move the front plate, etc.

Gives me something to think about!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just want to say it was totally inspiring. I installed one a few months ago and finally got around to posting stuff. The light has saved my bacon more than once from deer and moose down the grid roads. I used well nuts to attach it, which are basically rubber expanding bushings installed in two holes on the bumper, and it has survived extreme temps so far. The light bar I used is the 198W Auxbeam 30" off Amazon, 81 bucks CAD shipped, well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Thanks for sharing I was able to do the same thing with minor differences on my 08 I will attach some photos!
For Completeness:
1) It looks like you went behind the existing "grill".
2) Which model light bar did you go with?
3) Size (length/width)?
4) Any heat issues (i.e. dissipation from the light or to the transmission cooler)?
5) What would you do differently if you did it again?
6) Any issues when you went to screw into the hardened steel bumper?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts