Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all I have the RTS model and it does not come with the LED DRL. I wished hey did so I went on a mission to figure out how to install them.

I scoured eBay for headlights to make the install easy. Any 2016-2017 Honda Pilot or 2017 Ridgeline will work. I found two separate Pilot headlights for $45 and $55 shipped. You have to be careful most are $200 or more for good units and many or damaged. Mine had minor damage on the bottoms that didn't affect the headlight at all.

Ok install. You have to remove the front bumper. Not too hard but here a great link to follow.

http://www.hondapartworld.com/image/data/2017 RIDGELINE/2017 INSTRUCTIONS/08F21-T6Z.pdf

Once you get the headlights out you can swap in LEDs or HIDs. The difference in the DRL lights and the non-DRL are two wires. Here's a pic of the harness that has DRL.

The gray and yellow wires are missing. I custom installed a pin and wire in those locations ok the OEM harness and ran those to an ACC switched relay and voila you have LED DRL.

My next goal is to get LED high beams and eliminate the OEM halogen running lights. It looks terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
I definitely give you kudos for taking apart a brand new truck and making it the way you want.

Nicely done!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
Wishfulhunter, quick question, where did you run the wires to? To the ACC Relay, or the Automatic Cruise Control Relay, or to an Accessory Relay. Maybe a pic would help, because I'm not sure. If it was to the cruise control relay, on the G1, that is a spare switch that I rarely use, would be perfect.

Have to give you major props for tearing into a brand new vehicle, you've already opened up more than I have with an 11 year old vehicle.

Also seems like a pic is missing here.
Once you get the headlights out you can swap in LEDs or HIDs. The difference in the DRL lights and the non-DRL are two wires. Here's a pic of the harness that has DRL.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wishfulhunter, quick question, where did you run the wires to? To the ACC Relay, or the Automatic Cruise Control Relay, or to an Accessory Relay. Maybe a pic would help, because I'm not sure. If it was to the cruise control relay, on the G1, that is a spare switch that I rarely use, would be perfect.

Have to give you major props for tearing into a brand new vehicle, you've already opened up more than I have with an 11 year old vehicle.

Also seems like a pic is missing here.

Fixed thanks. I ran to the ACC fuse up under the dash. Very easy to follow the hood latch cable under the fender since the wheel wells are already open.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wow, the bumper has to be removed to change out headlights? Depressing.
That's nothing, I have to remove the bumper to change out headlight bulbs in my ladys Pontiac G6. Its no wonder they are not in business anymore... :act064:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well done. I know that for the 13-15 Accords, you could buy the lights but required a harness modification. There was someone who would make and sell the harness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done. I know that for the 13-15 Accords, you could buy the lights but required a harness modification. There was someone who would make and sell the harness.

You do have to modify the harness...there are 2 pins missing on each plug.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow @Wishfulhunter you did a ton of work and that PDF you posted is super helpful, too.

So, I hope this is not depressing...however, I ended up talking with Jeff who is the main guy at www.HardTopGuy.com who has engineered several LED Conversions (and access to Honda Tech stuff)...Anyway he now has wiring harnesses that do shut off the High Beam DRL...the only draw back right now (that he hopes to solve soon). Is that the High Beam Flashers do not work during the daylight (if that makes sense).

Other wise for the rest of...below is a link to get his $99.95 wiring harness (but I did also end up buying brand new genuine Honda Headlight Assemblies from him, too). I just did not want to take any chances with "used" head lights. But very glad that it worked out for you.

Thanks again for the great post!

BIG News for those that want to Upgrade their RT, RTS, Sport, or RTL to the LED "Swoosh" DRLs or even the Honda "Stock" LED Projectors that come on the RTL-E or Black Editions.

The www.HardTopGuy.com just came out with a Plug & Play wiring harness solution to make it happen!

He also offers Genuine Honda RTL-T or RTL-E Headlight Assemblies...that are real Honda Parts for sure with no chance of eBay or Craig's List weirdness. :)

So with this new plug & play solution...I decided to go ahead and buy the RTL-E Headlight Assembly (which also has the Honda LED Low Beam Projectors)...so now I'll be taking out my beloved PIAA Performance LED bulbs to put them into my daughters Civic instead. ;)

Below is the review that I just left on www.HardTopGuy.com web site...enjoy!!! :)

I have to say this is an AWESOME upgrade for any RT, RTS, Sport, or RTL owner who is looking to MASSIVELY improve both their "Cool Factor" and Safety Factor with the LED DRL "Swoosh". Plus, the MUCH improved Honda LED Projector Low Beams, too. I have an RTS that has gone from night to day. Just like the CBS Evening News, and Consumer Reports also featured this same Headlight Assembly and the Ridgelines that have these head lamps.

Next, I'm going to put some PIAA LEDs in the High Beam spot so a person can light up the night when nobody is around (of course). :)

Jeff was super nice via email and even on the phone. It's always fun to talk to someone who also really appreciates making detailed things simple for others with Professionally Engineered Mods that are Plug and Play rather than some home hack job. ;)

So, I highly recommend this!!! You will not regret getting this upgrade!!! Far as I'm concerned worth every penny to satisfy my wife who wanted the simpler feature set of the RTS, but still get the safety and cool of the RTL-E or for those that don't want the LED Projectors...they can get the less expensive RTL-T lights that still have safety and cool factor with the LED DRL Swoosh. :) Either way is a WIN!​

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, you might have been thinking of the www.HardTopGuy.com ...that's how I found him...just kept researching and researching. ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Awesome Tek. Are you using his harness? And the PIAA LED....are they noticeable when turned on meaning will it throw light on top of my current HIDs?
Let me clarify...as I wrote my "review part" early for RL, but Jeff checked it all out...and it is identical to the Accords systems (that he's already built...it's just that 8 pin rectangular on the side).

So with it being identical, which I have the PIAA 17201 in my Accord and OH MY GOODNESS are they impressive. Seriously the best lighting I've had in any of my 33 rigs including the '97 Dodge Cummins where I'd put on the PIAA Pro 90's (which was about a 9" Aluminum and Glass Projector and Driving Light) For High Beams I don't think a person could get anything better than the PIAA 17201 (HB3).

So back to the RL...Jeff already put the part up on his website (soon as he saw it was the same as the Accord he was like oh yea I'm excited to help people with that)...and he will have it done by the end of the week. But I might be a while since the bumper has to come off. Gotta wait for a dry day in Oregon. ;)

Sure have appreciated all your posts they are great...and inspired me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me clarify...as I wrote my "review part" early for RL, but Jeff checked it all out...and it is identical to the Accords systems (that he's already built...it's just that 8 pin rectangular on the side).

So with it being identical, which I have the PIAA 17201 in my Accord and OH MY GOODNESS are they impressive. Seriously the best lighting I've had in any of my 33 rigs including the '97 Dodge Cummins where I'd put on the PIAA Pro 90's (which was about a 9" Aluminum and Glass Projector and Driving Light) For High Beams I don't think a person could get anything better than the PIAA 17201 (HB3).

So back to the RL...Jeff already put the part up on his website (soon as he saw it was the same as the Accord he was like oh yea I'm excited to help people with that)...and he will have it done by the end of the week. But I might be a while since the bumper has to come off. Gotta wait for a dry day in Oregon. ;)

Sure have appreciated all your posts they are great...and inspired me!

Glad to help. But I'm taking it his harness will replace everything I did if I get it? I'm fine with that cause I want to get rid of that fugly halogen high beam!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow he charges $38 to ship a harness? That's a bit of a rip off.
Mmmmm...wondering where do you live? And or was he thinking you were getting Headlight Assemblies too...maybe?

I had checked at 6 different online Honda Parts and my local Parts Manager that my wife's Honda Master Tech grew up with (that always gives me killer deals with no shipping). My local was the least expensive for the Lamps, but not by much...and then the HardTopGuy.com was next least expensive in line. Shipping for the Lamps and Everything was $60.17 (but that is a business address too...which is a lil' cheaper).

I might just double check if you hadn't done so already...worth asking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mmmmm...wondering where do you live? And or was he thinking you were getting Headlight Assemblies too...maybe?

I had checked at 6 different online Honda Parts and my local Parts Manager that my wife's Honda Master Tech grew up with (that always gives me killer deals with no shipping). My local was the least expensive for the Lamps, but not by much...and then the HardTopGuy.com was next least expensive in line. Shipping for the Lamps and Everything was $60.17 (but that is a business address too...which is a lil' cheaper).

I might just double check if you hadn't done so already...worth asking.

I didn't select the lamps on his site so I'm hoping it's a glitch. I emailed him asking. I'm in SC.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I didn't select the lamps on his site so I'm hoping it's a glitch. I emailed him asking. I'm in SC.
Yea, being a Systems person...I'd guess it is a glitch with the shopping cart. When an Admin enters new products into a shopping cart there are all kinds of settings and "Weights"...especially with as many options as he has with harness only or harness with RTL-T lamps or RTL-E lamps etc. ;) Plus you are closer to him than I am. :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts