Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to install resistor on rear camera power line

This regards a previous post regarding a possible power surge when power is initially turned on for a rear camera. This could decrease the life expectancy of the camera. It was recommended to add a 8.2 ohm5% 1/4 resistor. The resistor I ordered was from frys.com part number QW8D2-25. My question is how do I hook this up to my camera power line? The resistor looks like it should be on a circuit board. I'm thinking of cutting the wires down on the resistor and hooking to the power line with crimped wire couplers. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't quite understand how a resistor will protect against a voltage surge. Yes, it would reduce the voltage to the camera at start up but the voltage reduction would be constant and remain even after the initial start.
Personally, I'd be more comfortable using a capacitor to smooth any voltage spike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got this information from Elkhunter, regarding the installation of a backup camera. A number people posted that they were going thru cameras like crazy and he said that the cameras could not handle the initial spike above the 12volts. He mentioned the resistor as I mentioned from fry's.com. If this info is incorrect, what can I install inline to my power source (backup taillight)? I have installed everything and the image on my navigation system is fantastic. I was going to do this to protect my camera.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
What voltage spike? Never heard of one in a vehicle with a functioning voltage regulator and battery, though it occurs regularly with household electrical supply (due to startups of any appliance with a motor, line voltage surges, etc.). The battery in particular would buffer any voltage above normal, about 14.5 volts. The first thing I would check is the 12vdc supply voltage. And, as DaveG55 said, a resistor would provide little protection.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thank you for the info. I'm not going to do anything. Everything works fine as I said.
What type of camera are you using? If it is OME (Honda made) it works off 8 VDC. You have to buy a voltage reducer and put that in line from the back-up light. This could be the reason why cameras are going bad from so called power surges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts