Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have downloaded Fuelly and have used it for the majority of my fill-ups. I plug everything I can when I log on a refuel. However, I can't help but feel this app can't be 100% accurate (or much more accurate than what the computer says) because I don't know exactly how the process should go.

Would it be best to wait until the moment E hits to refuel? Or a certain amount of miles left in the tank (ex. 50mi range)? If so, aren't those not going to be dead-on all the time depending on driver perception and driving style? Like if it says 50 miles are left, would the truck calculate this based on how you drive? Or is it assuming a certain mileage is constant? Still, it would be hard to refuel only at the 50 mile range mark. Maybe I am overthinking this but it's been a constant thought every time I fill up.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Fuelly question of the day? Since 2010 I have tracked 185,503 miles with Fuelly. I burned 11,007.37 gallons of gas since 2010. What is my mpg?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Feetdry's answer first: 16.85261783695832 mpg's (miles divided by gallons)

Fuelly calculation are based on how much fuel you add, so if you drive 300 miles and add 1 gallon you will get 300mpg. If you drive 300 miles and add 15 gallons you will get 20mpg.

I top off my tank every time I fill up. After the first click I round up to either the next dollar or gallon. Therefore I should be filling up the Ridgeline to the approximate same level every time and the calculations should be reasonably accurate.
I think the RL's calculations are more of a time versus distance thing. It I sit idling while waiting for someone my mpg's indicate a bigger drop.

I bet with Feetdrys 16.9 mpg his Ridgeline is indicating about 17.5 mpg's. I always notice that the truck shows almost 1 mpg higher than actual.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Feetdry's answer first: 16.85261783695832 mpg's (miles divided by gallons)

Fuelly calculation are based on how much fuel you add, so if you drive 300 miles and add 1 gallon you will get 300mpg. If you drive 300 miles and add 15 gallons you will get 20mpg.

I top off my tank every time I fill up. After the first click I round up to either the next dollar or gallon. Therefore I should be filling up the Ridgeline to the approximate same level every time and the calculations should be reasonably accurate.

I bet with Feetdrys 16.9 mpg his Ridgeline is indicating about 17.5 mpg's. I always notice that the truck shows almost 1 mpg higher than actual.

Err, yeah, with our prehistoric '08 RTL's you don't get all that stuff that came with the next gen warp speed Ridges. We just have to use Fuelly.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
fuelly question of the day? Since 2010 i have tracked 185,503 miles with fuelly. I burned 11,007.37 gallons of gas since 2010. What is my mpg?

I am surprised at the amount of people that do not know how to calculate mpg and depend on fuelly, like it is a secret formula.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
[QUOTE I am surprised at the amount of people that do not know how to calculate mpg and depend on fuelly, like it is a secret formula.[/QUOTE]

There are more reasons to use fuelly than just tracking mpg's. It tracks Cost Analysis for all Time in a vehicle, City vs Highway Driving, Avg Price per Fuel-up, Avg Price per Mile, Total Spent on fuel etc. You can add city v highway, Fuel Brands, tire pressure etc, and look back later to see how any of these variables may have contributed to mpg's.

I could have a lead foot, but Fuelly encourages me to slow down and be a little more economical. We don't all get 100MPG :)

My 2014 SE at 29,496 miles:

$2.32
Avg Price/Gallons

$45.02
Avg Price/Fuel-up

$0.130
Avg Price/Mile

$3,827.10
Total Spent

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am surprised at the amount of people that do not know how to calculate mpg and depend on fuelly, like it is a secret formula.
For me, it's not knowing what the 'formula' is. It's more of what people do to try to keep the calculation as accurate as possible. Refer to the OP for further explanation. Like when do you fuelup, the moment it hits E or at a certain mile range left? Is everything 'ruined' if you fillup at 1/8 tank as opposed to E?

I guess what I am saying is, how do you accurately gauge how much gas you used?

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I don't think it matters much regarding at which mark you fill up. You will add X amount of gas for X amount of miles you traveled since the last time you filled up. The small variances, such as whether you are filling up that last pint or not, are essentially eliminated over time (they become very small variances with a higher number of refills....sorry, my minor is in statistics, not in explaining things :) ).

If you tend to idle a lot, whether in traffic or sitting in your vehicle at work, grocery store, etc., you will have a pretty substantial hit to MPG....that will make a much bigger difference in MPG figures than any refueling variances. Also, MPG will be poorer during the cooler winter months as the vehicle will be running in a richer fuel mode loop until the engine is warmed up.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Like Longboat said. If you fill at half a tank or at E it doesn't really matter as long as you fill it up every time.

Fuelly requires your current mileage every time you log a fuel purchase. All the site is doing is asking how many miles have you travelled since your last fuelly and how many gallons did those miles burn.

So if you always fuel till the first click off on the pump, we could assume you would be filling to pretty much the same level every time.

On Monday morning with a half a tank of fuel I was indicating 22mpg from a few days back and forth to work on the highway. After driving around town for 4 days and maybe 60 miles I'm down to 16.2mpg. :-(

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clarification guys, I guess I was looking too much into it and will just keep doing what I've been doing.

According to Fuelly I am averaging 19.5mpg mostly city. Not too shabby

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Fuelly question of the day? Since 2010 I have tracked 185,503 miles with Fuelly. I burned 11,007.37 gallons of gas since 2010. What is my mpg?
It took me all of 3 seconds to come up with the correct answer---my 2008 RTL always got 17 mpg so that was my educated guess, and I must say I was pretty close.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like Longboat said. If you fill at half a tank or at E it doesn't really matter as long as you fill it up every time.
Fuelly deals quite well with partial fill-ups. Say your tank's about empty, and you manage to pick one of those pumps that is putting out 1/2 gallon a minute. After three or four minutes, you're ready to quit and go elsewhere to another station. in that case, you just stop wherever you want, the record the distance and gallons you pumped in Fuelly, but before you finish, INDICATE IN FUELLY IT IS A PARTIAL FILL-UP. When you fill the tank completely and enter it into Fuelly the next time, it will calculate the correct mileage since the last complete fill-up. The Android version of the Fuelly text app has a flag to check for partial fill-ups, I would guess the IOS version does, as well.

If you forget to flag the transaction as a partial fill-up, you can log into Fuelly and edit the transaction to set it as a partial fillup.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
For me, it's not knowing what the 'formula' is. It's more of what people do to try to keep the calculation as accurate as possible. Refer to the OP for further explanation. Like when do you fuelup, the moment it hits E or at a certain mile range left? Is everything 'ruined' if you fillup at 1/8 tank as opposed to E?

here is an example. On monday, you drove 200 miles and used 10 gallons of gas. 200/10=20mpg.
on tuesday, you drove 200 miles and used 11 gallons. 200/11=18.18.18.18.18 (I did not plan that lol
but on wednesday, you drove 200 miles and used 9.5 gallons. 200/9.5=21.0526
So, the amount of gas you put in the tank on every fillup does not matter as much as you might think. it all works out in the end.
If you only checked your MPG's on one tank for the life of the vehicle, it could come up with a wildly inaccurate number, but in the long term, it doesn't matter. Weather, road conditions and even your attitude at the the time will affect you MPG more than the little difference in the little bit of gas you put in the tank.
and this, coming from an MPG nut...

ok a little more clarification.

total of those 3 trips, 600 miles. total gallons 30.5
600/30.5=19.6mpg

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I don't think it matters much regarding at which mark you fill up. You will add X amount of gas for X amount of miles you traveled since the last time you filled up. The small variances, such as whether you are filling up that last pint or not, are essentially eliminated over time
yeah, what he said!
(they become very small variances with a higher number of refills....sorry, my minor is in statistics, not in explaining things :) ).
LOL.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm new to Fuelly and I'm wondering about a few things.

Starting with the first fillup and information input into the app. How does it handle that first fill? Not every fuel fill is actually going to stay in the tank - every vehicle has different fuel systems with charcoal vapor canisters, overfill purge valves, and other new things i don't even know about, lol. and the input fuel number may change season to season depending on what the fuel system does to the stored fuel. I think Fuelly just relies on the distance you drive and the amount of fuel the gas station pump tells you. What happens to that amount of fuel between fill ups may be affected by what goes on between the tank and the injectors. Those are two related data entries but are distanced by several degrees of separation.

Where as, I hope the computer in the truck is measuring the real time fuel flow rate from the pump vs rpm from the engine, data from the fuel level float, and the distance on the odometer? - I hope. I don't know... no system is perfect, heck my computer tells me I get awesome mileage at the beginning of resetting the trip computer... only after I put on a few hundred clicks does it give me more accurate reading from more data it receives (at least the readings I believe is right).

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Hosel, My 2014 probably isn't a technically advanced as your 2017. I wonder if when you top off the '17 and drive for say 300 miles, then top it off again, and do a hand calculation (miles/gallons), how does the mpg's compare to what the truck is indicating? My '14 and my '11 always indicated about 1 mpg high.
How about adding Fuelly to your ROC signature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hosel, My 2014 probably isn't a technically advanced as your 2017. I wonder if when you top off the '17 and drive for say 300 miles, then top it off again, and do a hand calculation (miles/gallons), how does the mpg's compare to what the truck is indicating? My '14 and my '11 always indicated about 1 mpg high.
How about adding Fuelly to your ROC signature.
Yup for sure I'll do that :) I got the app on my phone yesterday but I'll post the results once it's done.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts

FYI: in tank pumps (like our trucks) use fuel as coolant and lubricant. There are varying opinions about "safe levels" but most folks agree allowing the tank to fall below 1/4 (or so) risks pump starvation and momentary heat spikes as fuel sloshes around the tank - which effectively shorten pump service life. Makes alotta sense cuz depending on design, sunk pumps can spin 3 to 7 K RPM.

After learning that sometime ago, I began targeting the range between 1/8 & 1/4.

And I've always wondered if a pump mounted in a windage tray would experience longer service life.

BTW: Fuelly don't care about 1/10th mile trip ODO readings because it doesn't matter. Over the long term average, the delta between dead nuts accuracy and whole number trip calculations is nil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts