Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,017 Posts
So I make videos, mostly BMW and autocross videos, documenting my car hobby and decided to do one on the Ridgeline. My first time touching a bolt on the Ridgeline and I do like working on it, as long as it doesn't get more rusty. My 20 year old BMW has (just barely) less rust on its bolts!

How to replace Honda Ridgeline 06-14 Brake Pads DIY
Nice video, but you left out one important step. You mentioned how "Hondas like to rust". Those pads shouldn't have been so difficult to remove. It's likely your caliper pins are starting to freeze. Honda grease tends to dry up especially in the snow belt. Ungreased floating caliper pins are probably the most common reason for brake noise and premature pad wear. If I were you, I'd drop those calipers again, pull the pins, and lube them with synthetic brake grease.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice video, but you left out one important step. You mentioned how "Hondas like to rust". Those pads shouldn't have been so difficult to remove. It's likely your caliper pins are starting to freeze. Honda grease tends to dry up especially in the snow belt. Ungreased floating caliper pins are probably the most common reason for brake noise and premature pad wear. If I were you, I'd drop those calipers again, pull the pins, and lube them with synthetic brake grease.
Nothing was hard to remove, I was just making note that I saw more surface rust than on my BMW!

But that's a good point on the slider pins. I'll definitely go and lube those up since that's easy enough. Didn't know that's how you service them.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Nothing was hard to remove, I was just making note that I saw more surface rust than on my BMW!

But that's a good point on the slider pins. I'll definitely go and lube those up since that's easy enough. Didn't know that's how you service them.
I wasn't trying to be critical, but that little detail can ruin your otherwise perfect brake service. Believe me, I speak from lots of experience. Thanks for the video! There's nothing like that to help people, who have never tackled the job before, attempt to do it.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
I generally remove the lower slider pin bolt and swing the caliper up while I check/replace my pads. As a consequence, I also get to check the slider pin action too, and if need be, pull the top one and grease it as well as the bottom one. I've never seen pads that difficult to remove. 'Course that may be a consequence of NJ salt.

I'm reminded of the video I've seen where the guy with no arms does a brake pad job on his vehicle by using his feet. Incredible!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't trying to be critical, but that little detail can ruin your otherwise perfect brake service. Believe me, I speak from lots of experience. Thanks for the video! There's nothing like that to help people, who have never tackled the job before, attempt to do it.
Criticism is good! I don't want to be spreading misinformation on DIY videos anyway!
I generally remove the lower slider pin bolt and swing the caliper up while I check/replace my pads. As a consequence, I also get to check the slider pin action too, and if need be, pull the top one and grease it as well as the bottom one. I've never seen pads that difficult to remove. 'Course that may be a consequence of NJ salt.
It's my parents truck that sits outside 24/7 since it doesn't fit in the garage. It barely gets washed too. I only wash it when I'm home from college (summers) and this was the first time I had to do maintenance on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.