Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to move some 12 foot long 2x4s - turns out you can put them through the rear window and then through the moonroof. Hehe.

I taped them together and bungied them down, and it was pretty stable. I wouldn't recommend it for long highway rides, but for the occasional trip home from the hardware store it should be fine.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got my eye on the Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender.
It's $89 usd and can support up to 350 lbs. and very adjustable.....Link.

Other similar types available if you have a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Have either of y'all considered a tow behind utility trailer? They are very versatile and quite cost effective.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Drop the tailgate, lay them down, use the front cleats to synch them down. I carried a 16' airplane wing in the bed by laying two 12' 2x6 on edge down the same way, synched down, and laid the wing on top with a couple of foamies.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,347 Posts
My Ridge is used for renovation work as well as family duties. I have a heavy duty roof rack that I use for heavy long items. If its just a few lightweight pieces of long stuff (pipe, trim, a few 2x4s etc etc) I will put them through the rear window. If the 2/3 portion of the rear seat is up, they will rest on the seat rather than on the window weatherstripping. I actually have a piece of 4" PVC pipe sliced in half to lay over top of the seat to protect the fabric. The rear portion is supported by the upright tailgate. A rachet strap LOOPED AROUND them and then cinched down will firmly hold, keeping them from shifting forward in an accident.

No room for a trailer at my house and no where to park it in the city where I do much of my work. Very few city contractors use trailers. For less populated areas, I can see a trailer being more practical but honestly I can haul just about any building material that I need in the Ridge safely and efficiently. Huge loads will be delivered to the job site. . . People seem to be afraid of using the Ridge as a truck. Mine is working perfectly after 10 years of punishment.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have either of y'all considered a tow behind utility trailer? They are very versatile and quite cost effective.
Absolutely, but the Extend-A-Truck is just another tool in the toolbox.

He who dies with the most toys wins!!....lol.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,347 Posts
I wish I had a picture to back this up but . . .

My "favorite" idiot home center shopper experience involved someone trying to transport about 30 sheets of drywall on a flat bed cart (belonging to Home Depot) tied to the back of their car with about 10 feet of distance between the cart and the car. They made it about 100 ft from the Home Depot exit when they had to slow down and the cart immediately rear ended them, smashing the back of the car and sending drywall all over the road.

Safely transporting materials requires good common sense which seems to be frequently absent in home center parking lots.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The bed extender works really well hauling a 14 foot canoe and beats having to fool with the trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts