Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Honda fan. My 2003 Element w/ 230,000 miles got rear ended in Denver. The insurance company failed to see the immense value left in my car and game me a tiny check and sent me on my way :crying: I know the thing had another 100k in it.

After buying a lemon 1998 "Honda" Passport I decided it's time to shell out and take the opportunity to upgrade to the truck I've always wanted. Currently in the process of test driving used Ridgelines. My top pic is a 2008 RTS with 120,000 miles. Just trying to negotiate the right price.

My initial question is on timing belts. As I understand it, the J series engines (and most Hondas for that matter) are interference so letting the belt fail is just not an option. Unfortunately, I have no maintenance history available for the truck I'm looking at. If anyone has any tips on figuring out how old your timing belt is, I'm all ears!

I suppose a second question would be regarding known 2008 issues. I've already dug around the interwebs and know paint is a common complaint. I also know the 2006s have a problem with cylinder #4. Hoping that doesn't continue into the 07 and 08s!

Cheers and looking forward to becoming an official Ridgeline owner!

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,591 Posts
The dealership recently replaced my trimming belt and said it's a combination of miles and time that dictate when it needs to be replaced; mine came due at 7 years/70,000 miles. If that 2006 Ridgeline's timming belt hasn't been replaced, it needs to get done.

I would also ask about and/or look for signs of towing. --Lots of towing puts extra stress on the transmission.-- If used for towing, inspecting the transmission fluid. If dirty, replace the fluid using the multi-drain and fill method recommended my Honda. Also, checkout the engine mounts. --Towing puts the engine through l lot of torque-twisting when accelerating, stressing the engine mounts.-- If cracked or otherwise damaged, replacing the engine mounts will be an expensive repair, but a little cheaper if you do it at the same time as the timing belt.

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Welcome to the ROC! You know how to take care of a vehicle as evidenced by your 230k Element. If the truck feels 'right' to you and there is no evidence of unusual wear, abuse or serious accident, I'd say go for it. Once it's yours, inspect the radiator fittings, replace the spark plugs as well as the timing belt/waterpump replace all fluids and start racking up the miles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, spark plugs look pretty new so I'll let those ride for a bit. Thinking I'll do the timing belt before my cross country move.

Random forum related question, any idea why I'm not getting notifications when I get replies to a thread I started? I figured I would be automatically subscribed to that thread but perhaps I need to do this somewhere else? If so, where is the option to subscribe?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,591 Posts
On the same page where you type a response, if you scroll down you will come across the "Additional Options" section. There you will find a pull-down menu under "Thread Subscription." That's where you can signup to get email notifications.

Text Font Line Screenshot

If you forget or come across a page you've not responded to but want to get email notifications when someone responds, there is an option at the top of the page under "Thread Tools" where you can subscribe to that thread.

Text Font Line Screenshot Document

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Thanks everyone, spark plugs look pretty new so I'll let those ride for a bit. Thinking I'll do the timing belt before my cross country move.

Random forum related question, any idea why I'm not getting notifications when I get replies to a thread I started? I figured I would be automatically subscribed to that thread but perhaps I need to do this somewhere else? If so, where is the option to subscribe?

Thanks!
Not sure how you checked the Spark Plugs, if you pulled them be sure to torque them back down on a cold engine to 13ft lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.