Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just some pictures of a HRV that stopped by the dealership today. In typical Honda fashion they squeezed a lot of room out of the inside. The cup holders have cool flip down things for shorter cups.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Interesting they provided access to the almost "lost" space under (below & in front of) the "console" shifter. If that space ends up being awkward to access, they'll probably get more complaints than complements. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

FYI, that's why I like the column shifter on the Ridge.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting they provided access to the almost "lost" space under (below & in front of) the "console" shifter. If that space ends up being awkward to access, they'll probably get more complaints than complements. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

FYI, that's why I like the column shifter on the Ridge.
Yep, there's storage there along with a USB, HDMI and 12V power plug.

Column shifters are really underrated.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dealer expects to receive their first ones in the next week. I believe most all of them are already sold. While I was in getting an oil change for the S2K last week, I was talking to a couple looking at a CRV and Fit. They were waiting to check out the HRV as they thought it would be just the right size for them.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So can someone explain just where this new model fits in the line-up?? Is it to replace the Crosstour.... a more car-like version of CR-V??? Between Fit & Civic? I really don't have a concept of what this new HRV is.
Help??

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It's a modification from the FIT platform. Positioned between the CRV and the FIT.

The Honda HR-V is a subcompact crossover vehicle that is joining the Honda lineup as a 2016 model in the U.S. Derived from the Honda Fit hatchback, the new HR-V is built alongside the Fit at Honda's newest factory in Mexico.

The HR-V is a smaller sibling to the best-selling CR-V. It will compete with several other new vehicles, including the Mazda CX-3, Chevy Trax, Fiat 500X, and Jeep Renegade, as well as more luxurious offerings like the Buick Encore and Audi Q3, at least in size. A version of the HR-V is already being sold in other markets under the Vezel nameplate. Honda has also used the HR-V name in the past; about a decade ago, the badge was used on another small crossover vehicle, although that model was not available here.

Although based on Honda's space-age-looking Fit hatchback, the HR-V doesn't share that car's styling ethos. It is instead a more rounded interpretation of the current CR-V, with some very obvious Mazda-inspired design elements thrown in. Honda calls the lines coupe-like, which can be seen somewhat in the profile, and the designers have hidden the rear door handles to suggest a two-door vehicle as well. The high beltline, strong wheel arches, and wide stance give it a squat appearance. The interior is neatly organized and skips the dual-monitor clutter seen on larger Honda models; upper trim levels will get a central touch screen for infotainment.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It's a modification from the FIT platform. Positioned between the CRV and the FIT.
OK.... thanks. Sounds like it's the old "grow & back-fill" routine that happens a lot. The CRV gets larger & gets "backfilled" with one closer to it's original size (HRV). Like the Fit did for Civic, the Tercel did for Corolla, etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
OK.... thanks. Sounds like it's the old "grow & back-fill" routine that happens a lot. The CRV gets larger & gets "backfilled" with one closer to it's original size (HRV). Like the Fit did for Civic, the Tercel did for Corolla, etc. etc.
We're taking a look at it to replace our 03 CRV, but the Subaru Crosstrek is also in the running, and buying a first year model seems to always be a bad decision.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
We're taking a look at it to replace our 03 CRV, but the Subaru Crosstrek is also in the running, and buying a first year model seems to always be a bad decision.
You might want to read this comparison, Subaru Crosstrek vs Honda HR-V

Executive Summary
Already sold in world markets as the Vezel, we expect to see the 2016 HR-V appear in Honda showrooms in Spring, 2015. The HR-V slots right under the CR-V in price and size, just as the Subaru Crosstrek takes up a little less space in your garage and budget than does the Subaru Forester.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The Hond HR-V looks better/more mainstream than a Crosstrek or CRV.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I liked the looks the first time I saw it. I think it 'fits' in the Honda lineup better than the Fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2014 Subaru Impreza hatchback. The CrossTrek is the same vehicle lifted an additional 3 inches. If I had to buy again, given the HRV, as a choice, I'd go with the Crosstrek.

We have a 2014 Ridgeline & 2013 Pilot. Have also owned a CRV, and an MDX. In comparison, I am very impressed with the Subaru Full Time Symmetrical AWD system.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
We have a 2014 Subaru Impreza hatchback. The CrossTrek is the same vehicle lifted an additional 3 inches. If I had to buy again, given the HRV, as a choice, I'd go with the Crosstrek.

We have a 2014 Ridgeline & 2013 Pilot. Have also owned a CRV, and an MDX. In comparison, I am very impressed with the Subaru Full Time Symmetrical AWD system.
Especially in the East Coast a better drive system might well prove beneficial.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Yep, that's where we're leaning as well. We have a 2007 RL and a 2003 CRV. I think 2016 will be our year for the Crosstrek. We're hoping for a boost in HP, but we're also considering a Hybrid Crosstrek as well.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
I had absolutely zero interested in the HR-V when I first heard about it. I started watching it closely after learning a bit more about it. Now that they're here and I've seen a few in person, I became very interested. It is larger and roomier than I expected and the price seems low to me. The interior is a nice surprise - particularly the design of the center console. Early reviews and owner reports seem to have two primary complaints: 1) It is underpowered - specifically, it doesn't deal with hills or passing very well. 2) Lots of road noise.

As far as being underpowered, well, that's no surprise given the 1.8L Civic engine is being asked to pull significantly more weight. The real killer for me is road noise. I realize this is an entry-level vehicle, but why does Honda continue to ignore this issue? Do they think people won't notice the roar of the tires on the pavement transmitting into the cabin? Ugh. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I saw a MotorWeek review of the HRV on youtube and they claimed the road noise was somewhat lower than what they typically experience in some Hondas.

Either their expectations were different or else it had a different brand of tires. Another thing (to a lesser extent) would be tire pressure. Some cars come from the factory with psi set very high.

I like the design too, kind of a downsized CRV but good interior room for it's size.

I was concerned it might be light in the power department also, but have not been behind the wheel of one yet.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
I saw a MotorWeek review of the HRV on youtube and they claimed the road noise was somewhat lower than what they typically experience in some Hondas.

Either their expectations were different or else it had a different brand of tires. Another thing (to a lesser extent) would be tire pressure. Some cars come from the factory with psi set very high.

I like the design too, kind of a downsized CRV but good interior room for it's size.

I was concerned it might be light in the power department also, but have not been behind the wheel of one yet.
MotorWeek stated the "cabin noise is also more subdued" [compared to the Honda Fit] and that "the HR-V feels quite peppy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=184&v=6VGXlql8VrU

Consumer Reports said, "On the road, the engine has to work pretty hard getting the HR-V up to speed and it makes a noticeable racket when doing so." They hated the "lousy", touchscreen-only radio that also appears in the Fit, Civic, CR-V, and Pilot. Since this unit appears to be Honda's new "corporate" infotainment system, we'll probably see the same system in the Ridgeline and other models.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/driving-the-2016-honda-hr-v/index.htm

My local dealer has a few HR-Vs on the lot. I'll try and test drive one soon and form my own opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
My local dealer has a few HR-Vs on the lot. I'll try and test drive one soon and form my own opinion.
Sounds like the best way to go.

From Edmunds:

"There is talk of a sportier, turbocharged version to follow the launch of the standard model, and a hybrid model is possible for the U.S. if initial sales are strong."

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/hr-v/2016/?sub=suv.

But consider for around the same price (without turbo) you can get a KIA Soul with a 2.0 liter engine and 164 hp.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
The "MSRP unavailable" and "1.5L" engine size mentioned make me question the validity of the other information in that article. I read somewhere that the new 1.5L turbo engine expected to appear in the Civic later this year will also make its way into the HR-V. I'd rather see a naturally aspirated 2.0L tuned for a bit more torque and a little less horsepower in the HR-V, but that's going the wrong way as far as fuel economy numbers go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts