Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone ever calculated how long a factory ridgeline battery would last on a parasitic draw of 25 mA? Ever looked up what the capacity of a factory Ridgeline battery was? That's what the Honda engineers designed! Here's a great question..what would be the draw if you left your door ajar and the interior lights were left on? I'm not going to answer that question for you because if I did...you'd just say....WTF!!!!

These vehicles have such a high parasitic draw compared to battery capacity that every one should have come with a battery charger/trickle charger. Similar to a block heater...plug in your block heater when cold...plug in your battery charger when not in use. Honda missed the boat in this department. They did it on purpose...and by doing so screwed their customers...you know...you and me.

·
Administrator
13,324 Posts
Slow down there, bubba.

Most vehicles made in the last few decades have higher parasitic power draws than those those from the 1980's and earlier that has far less electronic equipment including "body computers" that must always be "on" for various purposes such as receiving remote unlock requests.

Most vehicles these days also include some form of battery rundown protection which shuts off interior lights if you leave a door open.

The capacity of flooded lead-acid batteries hasn't changed significantly over the decades.

With a healthy battery, you don't want to let any modern vehicle sit longer than about two weeks without being driven or charged. After about two months, the battery probably wouldn't be able to start the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK...I said it..now upper scale cars are coming with trickle chargers! Good thing you learned it here first. No charge! There she is, the permanently mounted trickle charger in my Ridgeline!
It's silicone mounted to my air cleaner box. I plug it in and can leave my truck for months.
UPAR5104.jpg

Battery Tender 800 solved my Ridgeline starting problems. Work great for other stored batteries too.

OK Bubba.....where does it say any of that in the owners manual! It's the manufacturers who are ******** the consumers and then trying to screw them even more during the warranty period with this parasitic draw line of BS. Why not be honest? If your vehicle can't last two weeks in rest mode...why not be honest? This entire subject is revolving around manufacturers dishonesty and lack of education. If Honda had been honest and they were not!
BUBBA....they would have told consumers their vehicles needed to be started every two weeks..maybe less in colder climates.
Don't insult me with your BUBBA routine...I've already been insulted enough from Honda Motor Company! You would think if these parasitic draws have become "a standard of the industry" they would be included in owners manuals. You won't find a mention of them in MY 2008 BUBBA OWNERS MANUAL!

BTW..I've owned this vehicle since new! NOT one person from Honda advised me to start it every two weeks because of parasitic draw. NOT one person from Honda advised me to install an AGM battery in it to mitigate that problem. However, when my truck went dead time after time...they had no problem charging me to tell me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle!
NOT one person from Honda suggested installing a trickle charger in it until my warranty expired and then that was a profit for them.

My name isn't BUBBA and I'm not a hick that just fell off the turnip truck!

Mr. zroger73...why is this purported common knowledge not shared with us dumb bubbas in some way via the owners manuals or owners orientations with Honda? If it's not, that's Honda's failure isn't it?

How come Honda didn't tell me my windshield would crack three times for no reason other than their crappy way of manufacturing and handling?
How come Honda didn't tell me my rear shocks would knock annoyingly?
How come Honda didn't tell me my headlights would leak water incessantly?
How come Honda didn't tell me my door locks wouldn't work in below zero temps?
My truck only has 30,000 miles on it and it's spent way too much time in the shop!
You want to call me BUBBA and ask me to slow down? THAT'S INSULTING!
You sir(zroger73), are an insult to this forum!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I must say that I too drive an 08 and "run down battery" has never been an issue. Mine doesn't sit. In a couple of months it will have 300,000 miles and I have to say in my 60 years of driving, this Honda is the best vehicle I've driven and that's over 2 million miles.

·
Administrator
13,324 Posts
I must say that I too drive an 08 and "run down battery" has never been an issue. Mine doesn't sit. In a couple of months it will have 300,000 miles and I have to say in my 60 years of driving, this Honda is the best vehicle I've driven and that's over 2 million miles.
I think we can all agree that vehicles driven less frequently than once per month or even once every two weeks are an extraordinarily rare exception and fall outside of normal, intended, and expected usage patterns.

For the first time in my life, I fell into that crack a couple of years ago after buying a Civic Si that I started driving daily while my Ridgeline sat collecting dust for months. I had the foresight to disconnect the battery and keep a battery maintainer on it. After a while, I started driving the Ridgeline at least once per week during the weekend and no longer used the battery maintainer.

There are few reasons for a vehicle to sit more than a week or two, but there are some: Car collectors, museums, extended stays at an airport, military leave, health restrictions... Most everyone else drives their vehicles once a day or at least once a week to church and the grocery store. :)

Manufacturers ship new vehicles with specific fuses removed to reduce/eliminate parasitic power draw during the weeks it takes for a vehicle to move from the factory to the dealer and have the PDI performed.

Batteries die in new cars sitting on lots all the time. Dealers have porters that rotate stock, charge batteries, and jump-start dead ones all day long. Visit any dealer and they'll have at least one of those portable battery boosters on hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep talking..... cause after reviewing your responses it appears you kicked yourself between the legs. You've basically proved my case and complaint. Gee..maybe the first time my truck showed up at a dealer with my complaint...they could have helped me? They only helped empty my pockets until my warranty was about to expire and they saw an opportunity to make some more money by offering to install a trickle charger!
Like I said before...my manual says nothing about my battery going dead if it were not run every two weeks. If you're knowledgeable about batteries (lead acid) and how weak these Ridgeline batteries are from the factory...you'd be able to calculate how long one would last with the Ridgeline factory parasitic draw in below zero temps? Healthy discussions help to teach others some of these basics? You act as an expert...can you teach us how to calculate how long our batteries will last at different temps with the built in parasitic draws of our modern day vehicles?

If it were 0 degrees F at my house? How long would my battery last before it wouldn't start my truck? How long would my battery last in 60F temps if I pulled up with my sleeping grandson and left my stereo on low volume so he didn't wake up? These are questions that someone who knew a lot about batteries and Ridgelines could easily answer?
How many people know how long it will be before they start their vehicle? It would be nice if Honda told us we needed to start it every two weeks! I'm going to keeping saying this....agm batteries and trickle chargers are your friend!
I know someone is asking WTF is an AGM Battery? Cause it might be something I need?!

Let me ask this question? Why doesn't every one know about AGM batteries?
You pay for them every day! AGM batteries are used in most police and emt/fire vehicles...funny how "they" can afford them but you can't?
zroger73...can you weigh in here?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.