Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Trying to find some aftermarket wheels for my '07 Ridgeline. The ones I have now have been causing me issues. I discovered that the OEM wheels and truck are hub centric and the wheels I have are lug centric. And NO, centering rings don't help the issue. So before anyone goes ahead and says that I need rings, I have them, tried several and they don't work. To do it properly, hub centric wheels (like the oem ones) are required. This is where I am running into problems. It seems that all of the aftermarket wheels I can find have the "acorn" style lug nuts which makes them lug centric and won't work correctly. As I spend a lot of time on the highway, I do not want a shimmy coming out of a wheel at any speed. I see lots of ridge owners running aftermarket wheels, so tell me where do you get them that are hub centric? Need to know!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...it does and doesn't at the same time. I have the same sized rings for my aftermarket wheels and they don't help. I've actually went through several sets. The issue isn't the wheels (have access to measuring equipment...their runout is nill and they are as good as the OEM wheels) the issue is the lug nut style combined with everything else. Need to find wheels that aren't lug centric and having a bitch of a time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pack, my understanding is that almost every wheel sold today is hubcentric. Certainly both the BMW wheels and the stock wheels I run on my Ridgeline are hubcentric, and they both work fine - with centering rings on the BMW wheels.

We also run aftermarket wheels on 2 other cars in my family - both are hubcentric, and both use centering rings.

Flymo

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the lugnuts are "acorn" stylem then the wheels are NOT hubcentric. You can need centering rings with hub centric wheels, especially aftermarket ones as they make the wheel center opening large enough to accomodate multiple vehicles an duse the rings to adapt. The biggest thing is finding wheel sthat do not use the "acorn" style lugs...thats the issue.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't understand. Can you clarify what you mean by "acorn" style lugs? Do you mean that the lug has a tapered (cone) seat, rather than a ball or mag seat?

Flymo

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand. Can you clarify what you mean by "acorn" style lugs? Do you mean that the lug has a tapered (cone) seat, rather than a ball or mag seat?

Flymo
Yeah, another term is conical. And Mag style would be like what is on the OEM Ridgeline. SO, aftermarket wheels that utilize OEM style lug nuts is what I am searching for.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah, another term is conical. And Mag style would be like what is on the OEM Ridgeline. SO, aftermarket wheels that utilize OEM style lug nuts is what I am searching for.
I could be wrong, but I don't think all "OEM" RLs share the same type lug nuts. If I remember correctly, the steel wheels are different (use conical vs. stepped edge lugs?) than the alloy premium wheels?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pack, my understanding is that almost every wheel sold today is hubcentric. Certainly both the BMW wheels and the stock wheels I run on my Ridgeline are hubcentric, and they both work fine - with centering rings on the BMW wheels.

We also run aftermarket wheels on 2 other cars in my family - both are hubcentric, and both use centering rings.

Flymo
I believe that might be every OEM wheel is hub centric. Aftermarket wheels pretty much aren't because it opens them up to many more vehicles to sell to. Thats what they say the rings are for.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could be wrong, but I don't think all "OEM" RLs share the same type lug nuts. If I remember correctly, the steel wheels are different (use conical vs. stepped edge lugs?) than the alloy premium wheels?

You are correct...the steel wheels (and I do believe all steel wheels from all or at least most manufacturers) utilize the conical lug nut. Aluminum wheels for the Ridgeline use the stepped lug nut. How they are using the different nuts while still using the same hub and not having centering issues is beyond me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that might be every OEM wheel is hub centric. Aftermarket wheels pretty much aren't because it opens them up to many more vehicles to sell to. Thats what they say the rings are for.
No, not all OEM's use hub centric wheels. My '94 S-10 had aluminum wheels and was NOT hub centric. It utilized conical wheel nuts. The conical wheel nuts are a throw back to the USA manufacturers origins. The stepped nuts are from the European manufacturers and are actually better (from an engineering standpoint)...IE they are easier to manufacture. But, I am not here for a history lesson. I am here for information on where to buy wheels.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pack, you are needlessly restricting yourself if you are considering only wheels with mag-style lug nut seats.

The later Ridgeline alloy wheels (the stock ones) use a ball-seat lug nut. And many Ridgeline owners, including myself, run BMW wheels, which use a conical-seat lug nut, with good results. I use centering rings, and have no discernable vibration at any speed with my BMW wheels.

What that probably means is that even though the Ridgeline is a hubcentric setup, the lugs are centered as much as they need to be.

My wife's CX-5 uses conical-seat lugs, even though the stock wheels appear to be hubcentric - that is, the wheel hub has a centering lip that mates with the wheels. We use aftermarket alloys, with a centering ring, for the winter setup - again, no vibration or other problems, with either the stock summer wheels and tires or the aftermarket winter ones.

So long story short, find the wheels you like, and don't stress over the lug nut seat style. Just get the correct centering rings, and lug nuts to match the new wheels, and give them a try - chances are you'll be good to go.

By the way, site sponsor Discount Tire Direct was very helpful in getting the parts for my BMW-wheel setup, and I would recommend them. If you PM the rep on this site they'll typically get right back to you.

Good luck!

Flymo

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
RLs sucks for tryin to find wheels for. In todays age why cant it be simple. Cars have this, SUVs have that and trucks have whatever. Just go by weight sport, utility, truck ect..Wonder what the new RL has in store for any aftermarket wheels. After over ten years hardly anyone makes crap for it. Carry on, dont mean to change subject.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts