Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my '06 RTS go through its 60K service. The service included transmission and coolant flushes, oil and filter change, new air filter, and fuel treatment. During the service it was also discovered that oil was leaking into one of the spark plug wells. Honda replaced the gasket under warranty. The spark plugs were also replaced at this time.

Prior to the service I was averaging 20-21 mpg on the freeway and 17-18 around town. After the service my mileage has dropped to about 15-16 on the freeway and 12-13 mpg around town.

Please help! I don't know what could be causing the horrendous decrease in mpg. Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Take it back to the dealer that did the service and ask them why this is happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the exact same problem but I never linked it to the 60K service (although it makes perfect sense since I started observing this issue soon after). I tried the tune up, engine fluid flush, and just recently replaced all my tires but nothing helped. Last month I took it to the dealer, who still can't find anything wrong with it so far. His only advice was to stay away from the Costco and Safeway gas since it doesn't have the "chemicals" or whatever. Can you please share with us what you find out because I am stumped.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
I wonder if the valve adjustment was performed and if it was, improperly.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Wow. This would stump me too. Other than the leaking oil situation, sounds like another good reason to DIY, if able. At least you'd know for sure what had been done.

Have you checked the air filter to make sure it was replaced? Also, there is no transmission and coolant flush, just a drain and refill procedure. And coolant is a 120k mile service, not 60k miles.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=553185&postcount=1

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe they had the battery disconnected and forgot to perform the ''idle learn procedure" when they were finished.

Was you driver's window or your radio presets screwed up as well?

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
I'm sure with all the computer controls an all this might not be a factor anymore, but if they replaced all the plugs, were they gapped properly or just taken out of the box and dropped in. It doesn't surprise me that techs can miss things. I just had my truck in for a minor service A-1 2 and they didn't even refill my windshield washer fluid bottle. The did suggest a transfer case fluid change, which I thought had been done once, but they say their records don't indicate it so I added it on.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
At least your shop knows the RL has a transfer assembly. (that's a plus!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe they had the battery disconnected and forgot to perform the ''idle learn procedure" when they were finished.

Was you driver's window or your radio presets screwed up as well?
Hmmm, I had the battery replaced recently (by firestone) and I remember that I had to call the dealer to get the code for the radio. I'll call the dealer to check if I need to do this procedure again. Other than that, I've replaced the air filter recently, checked the spark plugs, etc. and didn't find anything faulty.

·
Registered
637 Posts
.... if they replaced all the plugs, were they gapped properly or just taken out of the box and dropped in.
Sometimes they get dropped on the floor, then dropped in the engine. You gotta wonder if some of these 'techs' really care when you hear the horror stories that result from the simplest jobs.

I guess the computer would catch the 'misfire on cylinder x' if a spark plug had no gap at all.... On the V6 you might not feel it like a four-banger.

:act018:

·
Registered
442 Posts
What do you mean by they did a fuel treatment?? As far as I know Honda doesn't recommend a fuel treatment of any sort. If they used some sort of fuel injector cleaning that hooks up to the fuel rails they may have just messed up all your oxygen sensors. When they flushed your tranny fluid did they use a cleaner they dumped in your tranny first. Not recommended by Honda. What did you use in the engine for a flush? Nothing is recommended there either. I would see exactly what they did and contact Honda USA directly asking them to fix the problem at a different dealer that actually has trained service techs that follow the proper Honda procedures. I am surprised they didn't get you for the power steering pump flushing & fluid change or a brake fluid change. Other than that I would double check that your brakes and parking brakes are not rubbing.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I had my 60,000 mile maintainence a few months ago and also had the dealer replace my spark plugs with E3 Spark plugs. My gas milage has improved a little bit in town. My last tank was 15.8mpg and I use to get between 13.8 -14.5mpg. Hwy trips are over 24mpg.

What I like the most so far is response appears to be quicker. Have not done any 1/4mile drag races or time anything, but the response is better. I have less than 3500 miles on the new plugs, but like them so far.:act064::act064:

·
Registered
788 Posts
At least your shop knows the RL has a transfer assembly. (that's a plus!)
Very true! Mine did not know you should replace the fluid until I told them. And, I have a great service dept.

Speaking of this however, I have just shy of 60K and I am seeing a drop in mpg as well. I did not have a 60K service done at all. Hmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
CrowMagnumMan said:
Speaking of this however, I have just shy of 60K and I am seeing a drop in mpg as well. I did not have a 60K service done at all. Hmmmm.
CMM? Are you doing your maintenance off the MM or from the scheduled maintenance chart? If the former, there is no 60k mile service (although the shop would like to think there is, and in my area, the shop wants around $500 to do the work.)

I'd be tempted to run a tank with Techron too.. about 2 tanks before an oil change.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks guys.

Good - I will definitely tell the service dept. about that.

Speed - Off the chart. Probably about two weeks out for the 60K chart maintenance - oil/oil filter, air filter, and VTM-4.

I will try some Techron. Sounds like the perfect time to try it. Oil change is upcoming.

I hope that's it. I watch my mpg like a hawk and have always been happy with it.

I will say this...I was in an accident a month ago where I hit a deer and was subsequently hit by a car in the rear of the truck. When going through estimates and the like (the work/estimate is from my dealership) I made sure that they went over the engine compartment area well and they said it looks good (there was no airbag deployment). Maybe the two are related somehow? Does make me wonder a bit.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
The accident proximity to your mileage decrease also makes me wonder if that could be a factor. I don't know how the shop can tell if the driveline has been compromised in any way... out of line in such a way to increase friction requiring more power to turn the wheels. How bad was the rear-end collision?

Got any pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to share my findings with everyone on this thread. Last weekend, I performed the Idle learning procedure (ILP) on my Ridgeline. First I disconnected the battery cable then reconnected it. I let my truck run on idle close to 25 minutes after I switched off everything (Radio, heat, lights, odometer back light, etc.) The result was astonishing: I got my 20 mpg back right after I did this. There's no doubt in my mind now that when the mechanic replaced the battery in my truck few month ago, s/he didn't do this procedure which is required. Thank you guys for suggesting this!

BTW, when you run this procedure, you will need to enter the CD player code afterward to get it to work again. I strongly recommend getting the code from your Honda dealer before doing this.

HTH,

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just wanted to share my findings with everyone on this thread. Last weekend, I performed the Idle Learn Procedure (ILP) on my Ridgeline. First I disconnected the battery cable then reconnected it. I let my truck run on idle close to 25 minutes after I switched off everything (Radio, heat, lights, odometer back light, etc.) The result was astonishing: I got my 20 mpg back right after I did this. There's no doubt in my mind now that when the mechanic replaced the battery in my truck few month ago, s/he didn't do this procedure which is required. Thank you guys for suggesting this!

BTW, when you run this procedure, you will need to enter the CD player code afterward to get it to work again. I strongly recommend getting the code from your Honda dealer before doing this.

HTH,
If your stereo isn't original or in case your dealer asks for it, you can sometimes discover your stereo's serial number (not the security CODE) using the method outlined in these CR-V PDI sheets or from this excellent Canadian site. Don't let the dealer tell you they have to pull your stereo out of the dash in order to get the serial number. That's a cash grab.

Your stereo's security code may also be stored on your Ownerlink site.

You can set up an account with American Honda's Ownerlink site, here: You'll also be able to view any Recalls or TSB's specifically for your vehicle.

:act024:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts