Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1761 - 1780 of 1818 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Does and spikes eat just fine. Backstraps roasted on a Mesquite fire is tasty chow.
Big storm came through last night and we bailed out of our stands around 11. Didn't see any pigs or deer. Must have bedded down preparing for the storm.
Ended up having to get a new A/C unit for the trailer. Works great now!
Got a few more good pics from the game cams so I'll post some when I get back to the metromess.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Went hunting in the hill country here in Texas.

Beautiful place.

My brother's friend has a sizable chunk of land and invited him and me over to knock down a few hogs.

I got a nice boar and two sows.

Outfitter, I forgot just how bad they smell

Also got a water moccasin on the move.

TONS of deer on this guys property.

Now, I am hankering for another chance at an Axis buck.

Hopefully we will be invited back down :nerd:

·
Registered
629 Posts
MikeT, its funny how some pigs stink and some don't. To get invited back, stop taking cheap beer!

AG8, looking good buddy, time to add some backstraps to the freezer! You have any Mesquite trees over there? Not sure how you could roast them without it. LOL

4 days and a wakeup for me! Taking my oldest grandson out with me on Fri and I will catch this boy his first fish!
Menu is set, gear is staged and I have packed and repacked multiple times as the weather forecast has been changing dramatically.
This week I will be cooking/making some specialties. Venison Chili for Sat night, Breakfast Burros to take to the stands in the mornings, home made salsa. Will have the old favorites also, including biscuits and venison sausage gravy, Brats, steak night and new for this year will be a pot of red beans and rice with sausage and served with cornbread.
We also have a new little restaurant/bar that just opened up a couple miles away and will hit it a couple times. The beer is ice cold and most of the waitresses even have teeth so that's a bonus!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Nice deer Oitfitter & the food sounds awesome.

Youth Hunt this weekend in TN. My son finally had a weekend he was able to get to the woods some. Friday night we looked at our trail cam pics. He was excited by some of the deer.

Saturday morning we are in a blind & a doe comes by at 5 yards. He said I'm not shooting a doe today. Then a few minutes later a 3 pointer comes by at 5 yards. I hear the safety click off & I figure it's a done deal & he's shooting. Then he says I'm not shooting anything small today. I was actually surprised because I have always given him a green light to shoot what ever he wants to. We had a baseball thing for Saturday afternoon so we called it day after the morning hunt. When we were leaving our baseball get together he asked if he could sleep in & do an afternoon hunt Sunday. I told him no problem we will go to the place where the a couple of bucks are showing up on camera between 5 & 6 pm.

Sunday we sleep in, he really sleep in to almost 11am. I made eggs, bacon & biscuits & gravey. With full bellies we head to the woods. He looked at the tail cam pics on my phone on the way & said that didn't help. I planed on shooting the 1st thing that comes by but now I'm going to wait. A like after 5 one of the deer on our trail cam came & my son made a prefect heart shot with his 7mm08. This is his personal best. I could see his leg shaking while he was aiming at the deer & I was a nervous wreck.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
AG, congrats to you and your son! Great buck and well done on your part for not pushing the young fellow to hunt the morning hunt. I had the same issue of wanting to sleep in with my son when he first started out.
Is that buck the same one as the pic up stream in this thread?
I'm so excited about hitting the woods with my grandsons this coming weekend. Too young to hunt but it's time to share the great outdoors with the next generation. Lots of activities planned, fishing, 4 wheeler riding and the oldest will get to shoot my 50 year old Daisy BB gun!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
No, it's not one in the pic above but it is one we have on camera and he actually wanted that deer because of the kicker to make it an 11 point.

The coolest thing about this hunt is it actually started Thursday afternoon. I took half day at work and met my buddy for an afternoon bow hunt. We went to this location I had picked out a week ago to see what was in this area. We haven't hunted this area yet in the 4 years I've been hunting this land with my hunting buddy. I made a mock scrape and hung a drip scrape to see what we could get on camera. Thursday we went to it to pull the card and check. There were 3 nice bucks visiting the mock scrape between 5 and 6 pm daily. Cliff said, "Well, I know where you are hunting this afternoon. It's 1pm and you have plenty of time to get set up for one of those bucks." I told him believe it or not I'm not hunting here today. I'm leaving it for Noah, my son, this weekend. I'm giving him 1st crack at these deer. He was like that will be awesome if Noah can get one of these deer. Lets back out and see what happens this weekend. Well, the planned worked. It's the 1st time we have had a deer on camera and harvested it.

This is the second year in a row Noah was the 1st to take a deer off our land and he made sure he let of know. Cliff's wife said, "You two just need to let Noah hunt. He's the real hunter." Cliff and I have hunted hard with our bows the last few years but haven't had any shooters come in range or does. I had 10 different button bucks, spikes and 3 pointers with in 10 yards of my stand last weekend. If a doe would've come by I would have let an arrow fly.

·
Registered
629 Posts
No, it's not one in the pic above but it is one we have on camera and he actually wanted that deer because of the kicker to make it an 11 point.

The coolest thing about this hunt is it actually started Thursday afternoon. I took half day at work and met my buddy for an afternoon bow hunt. We went to this location I had picked out a week ago to see what was in this area. We haven't hunted this area yet in the 4 years I've been hunting this land with my hunting buddy. I made a mock scrape and hung a drip scrape to see what we could get on camera. Thursday we went to it to pull the card and check. There were 3 nice bucks visiting the mock scrape between 5 and 6 pm daily. Cliff said, "Well, I know where you are hunting this afternoon. It's 1pm and you have plenty of time to get set up for one of those bucks." I told him believe it or not I'm not hunting here today. I'm leaving it for Noah, my son, this weekend. I'm giving him 1st crack at these deer. He was like that will be awesome if Noah can get one of these deer. Lets back out and see what happens this weekend. Well, the planned worked. It's the 1st time we have had a deer on camera and harvested it.

This is the second year in a row Noah was the 1st to take a deer off our land and he made sure he let of know. Cliff's wife said, "You two just need to let Noah hunt. He's the real hunter." Cliff and I have hunted hard with our bows the last few years but haven't had any shooters come in range or does. I had 10 different button bucks, spikes and 3 pointers with in 10 yards of my stand last weekend. If a doe would've come by I would have let an arrow fly.
Great job!
Love it whenever a good plan comes together, especially for a youth hunt. He will have these memories forever.
Our weather forecast keeps getting warmer, dang it. Sitting in a box stand at 90 degrees is not much fun.
Friday I will do the last minute checks and preps. Check game cams, fill pig pipes, test feeders and swap lies with everyone gathering for our opener.
Will you be switching to gun or staying with stick and string?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Our muzzleloader season starts this weekend. I haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning toward my bow. This could easily change because it looks like I might have to deal with rain on Saturday.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Best ever opening weekend for me.........had my 2 grandsons out, my son and DIL and bride. Weather was hot but all survived. The boys had a blast, caught a couple fish with the oldest ( 4) and both loved riding the ATVs and SxS.
Bonus...my son took his best ever buck, a 9pt with 18" spread!
I'm heading home tomorrow and will head back out here Thur after doing some Honey Dos at home and reloading provisions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That's a nice buck for sure. Congrats to your son.

We didn't have any luck this weekend. Our temps went back up & the bucks stayed away.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Have not seen anything that tempted me so far, deer wise. But any hog is going down and this big boy came in last night and he did the bang flop dance.
Bigger than the picture makes him out, around 250-275#, over a 1/2" of fat on his back. He didn't stink and wasn't covered in ticks so I thought I'd try taking his back straps to test out the Traeger grill with a couple recipes and maybe a crockpot version of Carne Guisada.
Did get a chill when I hauled his carcus to the gut pile. My sons deer remains were not visiable from Sat which I thought strange, got a weird feeling and looked closer...the remains were covered in grass. That's a first for us and we now have proof of a cougar hanging around

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
The last couple days have been pretty exciting for my clan.
I scored this guy this morning. Never had him on my game cam but another guy caught a pic of him in velvet at a protein feeder in Aug. he is an 11 pt, 17" wide and weighs 177 which is a really big free range deer for us.
I set up a game cam today at the gut pile to see if I can get a pic of the mountain lion. That would be the icing on the cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
He is a nice one. Do you have a mountain lion season?
Thanks, really wasn't expecting this one to show up at this stand as he had only been seen at the 2 protein feeders in the "creek bottom" section of the ranch and I got him on a transition area to our "Mesquite flats" section.

Open season year round on Mountain Lions in Texas as they are considered to be just another predator. We have seen a couple over our 20 years on this ranch but just quick glances. They are like ghosts and really difficult to get a shot at.

All the predator numbers are way up following the weather cycle. Since the 7 year drought ended and then having had good amounts of rain the last 4 years all the mice, rodents, rabbits etc numbers have exploded giving rise to the number of Bobcats, Coyotes, Fox and Hawks etc.

If I get some pictures, I'll look at putting a tripod stand I have down wind from the gut pile area and may set up at night with my thermal and night vision equipment. It would be a long shot but I have never wanted to hunt them with dogs/ treeing them.

Heading back out tomorrow so we shall see what the camera picks up. Just like Xmas and opening presents when I check my cams.

·
Registered
629 Posts
To my disappointment, I didn't have a mountain lion on the game cam, just buzzards.

Did whack another good sized pig and will be doing some cooking this week. Pulled pork with a front shoulder starting Monday morning. Had over 20 pigs come in this morning and 3 less left the arena.

Saturday morning I was watching a bobcat hiding behind a feeder thinking it would go after a rabbit or dove. A doe and 2 fawns start coming in and I see that this cat had a bigger meal in mind, sorry kitty, not on my watch. So many predators this year. Had "Yotes" Fox and this cat all hanging around.

Also including a view from one of our stands. An afternoon matinee, a cold beverage and a snack. Life is grand!

Weather was great, food was delicious and evening cocktails were wonderful with my fellow hunters.

Attachments

1761 - 1780 of 1818 Posts