Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1801 - 1818 of 1818 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Very nice bucks & that hog is massive.

Unfortunately the land we've hunted the past 12 years isn't an option anymore. Time for new hunting adventures on the next property when we find one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very nice bucks & that hog is massive.

Unfortunately the land we've hunted the past 12 years isn't an option anymore. Time for new hunting adventures on the next property when we find one.
I'm really sorry to hear you lost your hunting property and hope you find some where else soon so you and your son can continue to bond in the great outdoors.
We have plenty of hogs over here that I would be glad to put you guys on if you want to take a road trip!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear you lost your hunting property and hope you find some where else soon so you and your son can continue to bond in the great outdoors.
We have plenty of hogs over here that I would be glad to put you guys on if you want to take a road trip!
Thanks, Outfitter for the offer.

We are going to look at some public land this weekend that we will probably hunt. We might have to bring back the Brown is Down motto.

My hunting buddy is headed to Texas in a few weeks to eliminate some hogs. His boss has a place he allows him to hunt and he goes out there 4 or 5 times a year. I don't have the time with all the sports my son plays. My son always has something going on with baseball or basketball every time my hunting buddy goes to Texas.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had another amazing trip to the Lodge at Chama in NM for their Cast and Blast package. I did an extra day this year since last year was so enjoyable. They do this for a 2 week period in August before Elk season opens in September which is what they are really famous for. The ranch is owned by the Apache tribe and is on 32,000 acres.

They had a new chef this year who just won the Food Networks "Chopped" competition. This guy can flat out cook! Dinner is a 5 course affair and I had Marinated Buffalo Short Ribs, Quail, Salmon and a Ribeye for my main course items this year. He had a new item, at least for me, Tempura Broccoli that was amazing.

The Lodge is spectacular with all kinds of game on the lawn. We saw Deer, Turkey and Bears while enjoying cocktails before dinner. The Lodge is at 7,400 feet and we hunted and fished up to 12,000 feet with views that are breathtaking. We hunted Grouse in the mornings and fished for trout in the afternoons, limiting out on both everyday. We got our same guide as last year which we had requested as we enjoyed him so much last year.

Just a couple pics of the Grouse, Trout and our guide Terry setting up for our lunch which consisted of Fried Chicken, Steak sandwiches and BBQ over the 3 days we were in the field.

I'm already planning next years trip and I am going to take my son as a bonding and motivational lesson, work hard, save your money and enjoy the fruits of your labor later in life.

Attachments

Reactions: Last Train

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gave the G2 a workout in the mud this weekend getting camp and stands ready for our deer season opener in a couple weeks. I did a bit of scouting and hog hunting and while I was sitting in a stand I had a bachelor group of bucks come by with some really nice mature ones. This pic was taken with my phone shot through my binos, a trick I'm not very good at but managed this shot. A really pretty buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
The opener is this coming weekend in N TX and if we don't get washed away it should be a great time with friends and family. Fish fry Fri night and Venison chili and trimmings Sat night.
Game cams showing too many hogs and also some nice deer.
Here are a couple pics, I thought the 2 bucks sparing in the morning light was cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Opening weekend has been great despite the mud from recent heavy rains.
Got a couple nice bucks and about 15 hogs between the 7 hunters.
We took the tenderloins from one big sow and seasoned and tossed them on a new pellet cooker one of the guys got for camp and they turned out excellent. Did some medallions and cut some into strips and served on tortillas with grilled onions.
Seeing lots of nice bucks and it appears the rut is kicking off good.
Had a nice group of Sandhill Cranes make a landing in the are I was hunting but their season doesn't start till later this month. That's some fine eating, Ribeye from the Sky"
Hated seeing my grandboys head back home with my son, DIL and wife. Those boys had a blast riding the ATVs and UTV.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Opening weekend has been great despite the mud from recent heavy rains.
Got a couple nice bucks and about 15 hogs between the 7 hunters.
We took the tenderloins from one big sow and seasoned and tossed them on a new pellet cooker one of the guys got for camp and they turned out excellent. Did some medallions and cut some into strips and served on tortillas with grilled onions.
Seeing lots of nice bucks and it appears the rut is kicking off good.
Had a nice group of Sandhill Cranes make a landing in the are I was hunting but their season doesn't start till later this month. That's some fine eating, Ribeye from the Sky"
Hated seeing my grandboys head back home with my son, DIL and wife. Those boys had a blast riding the ATVs and UTV.
Well, @Outfitter2 if you ever need someone to help clean up some of those hogs give me a shout. My 30.06 and/or 12 ga. pump will be my tools. I actually would love to take home a little one or two . . . maybe 30lbs or so. They do great on my smoker.

And that travel trailer you saw on the other thread makes for a great dry camping hunting base station if needed.

Love the pics and experience in Chama. Never been through there. Though some RV friends of ours stay every year for a while across the border in Pagosa Springs, and they always go through Chama. So much beauty to behold up that way!

Thanks again for the pics and stories.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, @Outfitter2 if you ever need someone to help clean up some of those hogs give me a shout. My 30.06 and/or 12 ga. pump will be my tools. I actually would love to take home a little one or two . . . maybe 30lbs or so. They do great on my smoker.

And that travel trailer you saw on the other thread makes for a great dry camping hunting base station if needed.

Love the pics and experience in Chama. Never been through there. Though some RV friends of ours stay every year for a while across the border in Pagosa Springs, and they always go through Chama. So much beauty to behold up that way!

Thanks again for the pics and stories.
If we are still over run with them come Jan and the end of deer season, drop me a PM and I might be able to accommodate you. I'm taking my thermal spotter and scoped AR out with me 2-3 hours before sunrise and staying a couple hours after dark putting the hammer down on the swine. I had a really big boar run off a big buck I was contemplating taking this past weekend. Boar was dispatched with prejudice.

My kid scored his first this morning.
Congrats to your son on his first! That's a magic moment to share with offspring. Man you have huge bodied deer up north and nice heavy racks. Give us some more details of his hunt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats to your son on his first! That's a magic moment to share with offspring. Man you have huge bodied deer up north and nice heavy racks. Give us some more details of his hunt.
Yep, I'm mighty proud of him. He saw the buck walking at a right angle to him across a field, about 90 yards away. Unfortunately his first shot was high and hit it in the base of its antler -- you can see how we tried to hold it in place for the trip with some duct tape. That must have have stunned the buck because he only took a few steps after that, giving my son a chance to redeem himself with the second shot through both lungs. I was actually close by heading towards him when he shot. I didn't see the deer drop but I heard all the excited yelling right afterwards, very cool to be there for it.

Now I have to find a good taxidermist who can put humpty dumpty back together again!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was able to harvest this nice 4 1/2 year old mature buck this past week. Really looking forward to restocking the freezer with steaks, bacon burger, breakfast sausage and smoked link sausage.
Our rut has really kicked in and bucks are running everywhere. Pigs have gotten a bit wiser, but we did eliminate 35-40 since Nov 3rd.
Spotted a huge Bobcat but had no shot at it, lots of pics of them on game cams. Need to take a few so the Turkey and Quail have a chance to reproduce.
Love this time of the year.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
One of my hunting buddies was asked to stay in camp and babysit, well I'm betting that won't happen again.

IMG_0435_rotated.jpg

·
Registered
630 Posts
This hunting season has pretty much come to a close and as in the past we did our duck hunt last weekend. 4 of us got about 20 birds and I used my portion to do a batch of Gumbo with Duck, Shrimp and Crab.
I was able to take 2 turkeys with a single shot in late December that made a great Turkey ala King recipe.

Had a couple Pterodactyls buz my stand and land at the feeder, turned out to be Sandhill Cranes. I would have loved to take another one but not legal to shoot at a feeder or with a rifle so they got a pass.

We ended up with 59 +/- hogs taken from 11/4 - 1/1 and have not made much of a dent in them. Will continue to pursue as time/weather permits.

Have a new friend in camp that we are crediting with a big reduction in mice. We have a Grey Fox hanging around and doesn't seem to mind being in camp when we are. He is on a "Protected" list as long as the mice stay away.

Always sad to have another season pass but looking forward to next year when my oldest grandson will get to be a bit more involved with the activities and we had a bunch of good young bucks that should look great next year.
I believe that a 3 1/2 year old buck was the youngest we harvested this year so we are in good shape for next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
This hunting season has pretty much come to a close and as in the past we did our duck hunt last weekend. 4 of us got about 20 birds and I used my portion to do a batch of Gumbo with Duck, Shrimp and Crab.
I was able to take 2 turkeys with a single shot in late December that made a great Turkey ala King recipe.

Had a couple Pterodactyls buz my stand and land at the feeder, turned out to be Sandhill Cranes. I would have loved to take another one but not legal to shoot at a feeder or with a rifle so they got a pass.

We ended up with 59 +/- hogs taken from 11/4 - 1/1 and have not made much of a dent in them. Will continue to pursue as time/weather permits.

Have a new friend in camp that we are crediting with a big reduction in mice. We have a Grey Fox hanging around and doesn't seem to mind being in camp when we are. He is on a "Protected" list as long as the mice stay away.

Always sad to have another season pass but looking forward to next year when my oldest grandson will get to be a bit more involved with the activities and we had a bunch of good young bucks that should look great next year.
I believe that a 3 1/2 year old buck was the youngest we harvested this year so we are in good shape for next year.

Attachments

Reactions: Royaldee

·
Registered
630 Posts
Had.the good fortune to be able to spend some quality time with my son at the Lodge at Chama in NM. We did the Cast and Blast, hunting Grouse in the mornings and Trout fishing in the afternoons. We saw tons of Elk, Mule deer and even saw 6 Bears, 2 were cream colored. The first pic is at 11,500’ and man did we ever enjoy the cool weather up in the mountains in Aug after all the Texas August heat we were “used” to.
Had a great fish fry already and will be doing the birds soon.
This was a celebration event as my son will be taking over our company on Oct 1st and I wanted to do something special to mark the “changing of the guard”.

67E50D5B-CB26-4B7F-804F-FA7510E0C3CE.jpeg
67E50D5B-CB26-4B7F-804F-FA7510E0C3CE.jpeg
D34DEB08-594C-40A4-A3E6-1C3E407FE249.jpeg
545298D3-17E0-4E84-BB6B-7B43E7873AA8.jpeg

Reactions: Farther
1801 - 1818 of 1818 Posts