Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week or so with my Ridgeline ('11 EX-L Nav) I've noticed a thing or two that I'm not sure is "normal" or not.
One is air movement coming from the dash diffusers, with the HVAC off, and only under acceleration. Air lightly blows from the vents when the vehicle is in motion, come to a stop... it stops. It seems to remember the last position of the temp as well, AC is cool, HEAT is warm, as long as this was the last used function of the controls.
Curious if I have a valve hanging open etc, I hear nothing unusual coming from the dash, l can hear the valves and doors doing their thing, but nothing alarming.
Any input or experience?

The other is a very noticeable clunk when shifting from forward to reverse, but I suspect it's because the vehicle is in (slow rolling) motion.

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
After a week or so with my Ridgeline ('11 EX-L Nav) I've noticed a thing or two that I'm not sure is "normal" or not.
One is air movement coming from the dash diffusers, with the HVAC off, and only under acceleration. Air lightly blows from the vents when the vehicle is in motion, come to a stop... it stops. It seems to remember the last position of the temp as well, AC is cool, HEAT is warm, as long as this was the last used function of the controls.
Curious if I have a valve hanging open etc, I hear nothing unusual coming from the dash, l can hear the valves and doors doing their thing, but nothing alarming.
Any input or experience?

The other is a very noticeable clunk when shifting from forward to reverse, but I suspect it's because the vehicle is in (slow rolling) motion.
When the system is "off", outside air is allowed to push itself in to help keep the air in the vehicle from becoming stale. Vehicles have been like this for decades, but some only allow the air to flow from the floor vents, so you might not notice it. Also, the blend door actuators are still working to control cabin temperature at the last setpoint even when the system is "off".

I haven't had nor read about a "clunk" on the G2, although the G1 was known for some driveline clunk.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Does it clunk if the vehicle is completely stopped before shifting? Shifting from forward to reverse or from reverse to forward while the vehicle is in motion will cause unnecessary wear on the tranny.

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
Does it clunk if the vehicle is completely stopped before shifting? Shifting from forward to reverse or from reverse to forward while the vehicle is in motion will cause unnecessary wear on the tranny.
I've been guilty of doing that a few times, even if it was at very slow speeds. My father, however, practically never takes his foot off the accelerator when shifting from reverse to drive - something he's done as far back as I can remember. He's yet to loose a transmission. He also only changes oil if it's been a year or two and it occurs to him. And, he was a mechanic and parts salesman for many years! Kinda reminds me of heart surgeons that eat mounds of bacon every day or skin doctors that bake in tanning beds. :|

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the system is "off", outside air is allowed to push itself in to help keep the air in the vehicle from becoming stale. Vehicles have been like this for decades, but some only allow the air to flow from the floor vents, so you might not notice it. Also, the blend door actuators are still working to control cabin temperature at the last setpoint even when the system is "off".

I haven't had nor read about a "clunk" on the G2, although the G1 was known for some driveline clunk.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm not used to it flowing through the dash vents and figured it was an issue, just have to remember to set it to the floor, and heat when it's hitting negative temps up here in the Great White North.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts