Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed more outlet temperature difference in my 2017 Ridgeline than any other vehicle with automatic climate control that I've ever owned. The exception was a '99 Buick Regal that later in its life was always warmer on the passenger's side due to the blend door motor. For example, this morning on my way to work it was cool and sunny outside. All three zones were set at 68°F. For the duration of my commute, the driver's outlets blew cold air, the passenger's outlets blew cool air, and the rear outlets blew very warm air. For many years, various Honda/Acura models with navigation (including the Ridgeline) use the GPS to report solar angle to the climate control so it can tweak settings to compensate for sunlight entering the cabin. However, I notice the driver's side outlets are always cooler than the passenger's side no matter where the sun is or which direction the vehicle is traveling. The vehicle has no problems cooling off. The air conditioning system seems to work just fine, but it bugs me that every outlet blows a different temperature, which is most noticeable once the cabin has reached setpoint and the system is maintaining that setpoint.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i noticed the same z, this was on my list of "improvements" when another honda rep called me and we had a nice hour long conversation :) so even if i sold my RL and will never purchase another honda, i took the time to express my concerns to honda so that the future models will be improved :) maybe they should hire me? i hear there's a district rep position opening soon LOL.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I notice my RL blowing air that is about seven degrees cooler when the compressor is engaged compared to when it isn't. It isn't noticeable that much when the temperature outside isn't above 90°, but when it's really hot, I can really detect the difference in temperature. It is rather annoying, because, at times, the air is only semi-cool coming out of the vents.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I notice my RL blowing air that is about seven degrees cooler when the compressor is engaged compared to when it isn't. It isn't noticeable that much when the temperature outside isn't above 90°, but when it's really hot, I can really detect the difference in temperature. It is rather annoying, because, at times, the air is only semi-cool coming out of the vents.
any chance you are using ECON mode ?? I've never used it, but my understanding is ECON moderates your AC ...etc.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Perhaps take it out of SYNC (I assume SYNC was on) and set them to 68 or same temp and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
any chance you are using ECON mode ?? I've never used it, but my understanding is ECON moderates your AC ...etc.
No, I'm not using Econ mode. I've tried every different setting to no avail. When idling, the temperature change is very slight, but when cruising it is very noticeable, especially when it's really hot outside.

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2017 Ridgeline does have a relatively wide band for the evaporator temperature which results in noticeable oscillations in discharge temperature at certain times. This is likely due the system's ability to control humidity. If you notice, the 2017 stays in recirculation mode FAR more often than most other systems. Recirculation mode is much more efficient than fresh air mode, but can result in the interior becoming too dry in the summer and too humid in the winter. Decreasing the compressor duty cycle during cooling mode will allow for efficient operation without over-drying the interior, but it will result in greater outlet temperature oscillations for systems with on-off compressors (all Hondas) vs. electronically-controlled variable displacement compressors (some newer vehicles and many older GM vehicles).

·
Registered
328 Posts
This sounds par for the course. Honda does everything they can to eek out efficiency in the secondary systems of the vehicle. On my '15 Accord, the engine cooling fans cycle on an off at an alarming rate . According to many others this is completely normal.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The 2017 Ridgeline does have a relatively wide band for the evaporator temperature which results in noticeable oscillations in discharge temperature at certain times. This is likely due the system's ability to control humidity. If you notice, the 2017 stays in recirculation mode FAR more often than most other systems. Recirculation mode is much more efficient than fresh air mode, but can result in the interior becoming too dry in the summer and too humid in the winter. Decreasing the compressor duty cycle during cooling mode will allow for efficient operation without over-drying the interior, but it will result in greater outlet temperature oscillations for systems with on-off compressors (all Hondas) vs. electronically-controlled variable displacement compressors (some newer vehicles and many older GM vehicles).
You must have posted this elsewhere, because I remember reading it. The operation of the Honda HVAC seems completely counterintuitive (and idiotic) for semi-tropical climates. Having too little humidity is never a problem here in the New Orleans area. In addition, the RL takes much longer to cool off when heat-soaked than the 2015 Durango I had previously. When cruising, the compressor duty cycle is probably about 70%. I've timed the temperature change intervals, and it is maddening when the compressor cycles, discharging warm air, when the temperature is in the mid-nineties. There must be some way to change the duty cycle. I had a Honda tech I know take a look at it, and he said that was "normal" operation. Normal for the RL, I suppose, because it isn't "normal" in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts