Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed the passenger side vents blowing cold air when set to heat. Driver's side works normally. I ran the HVAC self diagnostic routine and I got a result where the lower right segment of the third eight is the only segment visible. According to the images I've seen on this site and others that segment doesn't have a known error value.

Anyone know what the issue is?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked that link and the image I saw shows that segment as "Q". "An problem in the passenger's air mix control linkage, door or motor"

Any suggestions on how I narrow down on the component in that list that is having the issue?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is interesting! Thanks for all who helped track this down.

I'm working through the repair manual diagnosis steps for the "N" code on the ridgeline code list. My guess is that I need to replace the passenger blend door motor (79170-SHJ-A41).

· Registered
728 Posts
Hope you're right. $100 is a lot of money to replace a part without knowing for sure if that's the problem. However, it's still cheaper than the labor you'll get charged by a Honda dealer for a diagnostic.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
That is interesting! Thanks for all who helped track this down.

I'm working through the repair manual diagnosis steps for the "N" code on the ridgeline code list. My guess is that I need to replace the passenger blend door motor (79170-SHJ-A41).
Don't forget to check pertinent fuses first. And if it was me, I'd get the motor to have on hand, but would then go in & see what's what, including a direct check of the old motor to see if it has actually failed. You might find something else is amiss (broken door, etc.). You can always return the motor to the dealer if you didn't really need it. (ask if they have a restocking fee... if they do and they are close by, maybe you just make sure they have one in stock that you can pick up if/when you need it after you're in there)

All of this presumes you're talking DIY. If not, then no worries...

· Registered
2009 RTS
805 Posts
Do the recirc check and then the sensor test before you replace.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally had time to get into the hvac system this morning and started the diagnostic tests in the service manual on page 21-136. After removing the mode control motor and quickly realizing it wasn't the passenger air mix control motor I got working on the correct part. I removed the motor, connected it to 12v on my bench and everything worked fine. I manually manipulated the mix door and it worked fine. So in the end the linkage most likely got disengaged or stuck and I didn't notice it. It's all put back together now and works fine. $0 fix is great!

· Registered
2009 RTS
805 Posts
Good, lube the grooves or moving parts while you're at it.
I need to get some more Shin-Etsu Grease come to think of it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.