Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I bet everything Honda will offer in 10 years or so will not have a stand alone internal combustion engine. The performance will be difficult to deny. We will find it easy to accept this as all of the top exotic performance cars currently have or will have this technology. When you see the performance of a Tesla, it's hard to complain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would buy one in a flash as long as it had similar capabilities. We are planning on getting a Accord hybrid went the 18s come out, so that would fit right in in 3 years or so.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I'd expect capability to be improved, as there should be better power/torque odd-idle with an electric hybrid.

Joe had said something about Honda really wanting a hybrid drive in the Ridgeline by 2019.

As far as what engine is mated to the electric motor, I'd prefer to see a two-stroke in lieu of a diesel. It can be much smaller/lighter than a diesel, yet still have optimum power output in a narrow powerband that would work well with electric. Honda has been doing some work on two-strokes recently.

Ideally, the hybrid powertrain would offer generator capabilities in and out of the truck. That would be great at the campsite, works items or at home when the power goes out.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If this would eliminate the VCM it would make me take a second look at the gen2. Now only if they would get rid of those minivan arm rest that I had on my dodge caravan in the 90's and put the leg room back in the rear seat. Honda would be going in the right direction then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd buy one in a heartbeat assuming the MPG was worth it. My wife has a 2014 Accord Touring Hybrid and I LOVE that car.

Never thought there'd be a day I said that. but I love it. Still not getting rid of the S2000 though.....lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd expect capability to be improved, as there should be better power/torque odd-idle with an electric hybrid.

Joe had said something about Honda really wanting a hybrid drive in the Ridgeline by 2019.

As far as what engine is mated to the electric motor, I'd prefer to see a two-stroke in lieu of a diesel. It can be much smaller/lighter than a diesel, yet still have optimum power output in a narrow powerband that would work well with electric. Honda has been doing some work on two-strokes recently.

Ideally, the hybrid powertrain would offer generator capabilities in and out of the truck. That would be great at the campsite, works items or at home when the power goes out.
The biggest problem with 2 strokes is that they are a lot harder to make run cleanly. You're always burning oil, which isn't the cleanest burning. Plus, now you would have to buy oil every time you bought gas, increasing hassle and cost.

I would love a hybrid Ridgeline. As long as they don't get stupid and decrease the size of the gas tank or anything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It will be interesting to see, when I am ready to replace my current 2017 RL in 10 years or so, whether my next truck will be another Honda Ridgeline or a Tesla Truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
I'd take a Hybrid Ridgeline. The take-off speed might rival that of a Tesla.:grin: Seriously, the cost will increase another $2,000 IMHO. I took those figures from the current Accord EX-L w/navigation and the Hybrid version.

Reactions: Andrew Diamond

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
The biggest problem with 2 strokes is that they are a lot harder to make run cleanly. You're always burning oil, which isn't the cleanest burning. Plus, now you would have to buy oil every time you bought gas, increasing hassle and cost.

I would love a hybrid Ridgeline. As long as they don't get stupid and decrease the size of the gas tank or anything.
I think they're working on two-stroke engines with direct injection, wet sump and supercharged intake, with lube systems similar to four-stroke engine design. I'll have to see if I can dig up that Honda patent...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
If it would get the MPG in the 30's and maintain the same fuel tank size (Standard in Accord Hybrids), add generating capabilities and maybe the Turbo 4 from the Civic, I'm in

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think the next big change in the RL powertrain is the Honda "designed and manufactured" 10-speed auto transmission. It is available now in the new 2018 Odyssey. Maybe the RL can get to 30mpg highway with that trans? Ford is aiming for 30mpg with their 10 speed and V6 diesel in the F150.

A fuel cell powered RL with 4 electric traction motors would be cool, and would eliminate the increasingly complicated and unreliable internal combustion engine. Honda already has some FC powered Clarity vehicles in the USA.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Here is the article that got me thinking it could be a two-stroke:

https://www.google.com/amp/newatlas...-fuel-injection-patent-filing/38529/?amp=true

OR just Google "patent honda two stroke"

According to the article, the patent indicates the design is geared toward industrial work, such as driving a generator.

May be far-fetched, but we can hope. Although Honda stumbled a bit on the G2 engineering, we've seen what they can do when they put some effort into their product (e.g. - new Civic, new Odyssey, light truck chassis design).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the next big change in the RL powertrain is the Honda "designed and manufactured" 10-speed auto transmission. It is available now in the new 2018 Odyssey. Maybe the RL can get to 30mpg highway with that trans? Ford is aiming for 30mpg with their 10 speed and V6 diesel in the F150.

A fuel cell powered RL with 4 electric traction motors would be cool, and would eliminate the increasingly complicated and unreliable internal combustion engine. Honda already has some FC powered Clarity vehicles in the USA.
Fuel cells are still at least 10 years from being practical. Fuel cells are far more expensive to make, and hydrogen is significantly more expensive than an equivalent amount of gas. Not to mention more complicated to refuel. And good luck finding a fueling station.

GM has already proven that the Extended Range EV design (Volt) is practical, and allows the vast majority of driving to be done on electricity, with extended trips using the gas engine.
I think an electric motor at the rear, and a hybrid drive up front would work great. You get AWD and no drive shaft losses.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
It will be interesting to see, when I am ready to replace my current 2017 RL in 10 years or so, whether my next truck will be another Honda Ridgeline or a Tesla Truck.
It's all about a Frunk! The Tesla will be pretty neat. I'm secretly hoping my lifetime sees an affordable 4 independent electric motor solution but I'm pretty sure it won't.

So far, hybrid trucks haven't been that great, if Honda can pull it off... I'm listening, I like the idea.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
I'm hoping to get another 3-5 years out of my 06 Ridge. At that point I would seriously consider a new Ridgeline with hybrid technology. . .

Honestly the GenII in its current form isn't quite enough for me to plunk down the $ yet. One piece of the equation is the limited gain in fuel economy. Sure, its better but particularly in the city type scenario that I spend most of my driving time in, the gains just aren't that much. . .

A hybrid powertrain has the potential to do some good things in the Ridge. Most obvious would be the fuel economy improvements, particularly in the ctiy type cycle. Also the immediate torque of the electric motor could give the Ridge a boost where it is a bit lack luster (particularly so in the GenI but also in the GenII) in engine performance. Less obvious would be the potential gains from doing away with the transfer case, rear driveshaft and rear differential while still maintaining the benefits of AWD. A battery pack would need to be packaged but Honda could certainly use some of the space to either increase rear cab size, trunk size or perhaps lower the bed height (gaining a deeper bed) Of course Honda didn't do squat with the wasted space in the 2wd versions of the GenII so they might not bother but that would be a shame. Basically a "built as hybrid" rear section could open up some interesting possibilities

A Tesla truck would also get my interest, particularly if it was sized at least as large as the Ridge. Who needs an under bed trunk when you can have one in the front of the vehicle? This would leave the rear open to a wide range of possibilities but would certainly allow for a straight forward conventional pick up rear with a deep bed. Cost might be crazy but not too crazy if they actually want to sell em.

As a minimum, I am hoping that Honda's 10sp showing up in the Odyssey is a sign of things to come for the Ridge. Hopefully it will live up to it's specs and will get all the bugs out in time for a Ridge intro in a couple of years. A well executed stop start system with the added efficiency of the 10 sp and maybe some paddle shifters could really get me out of my GenI. . . .Oh and butch up the front styling just a bit and dump the armrest while your at. . .

·
Registered
101 Posts
For the Tesla truck to work for me:

Front Trunk
Towing capability up from 5000 to maybe 7000
Tesla touchscreen/nav (of course)
Supercharger network (of course)
Tesla would have to smart enough to do magic seats, in bed trunk and two way tailgate.
Not get too fancy with doors, seats or sunroofs. Keep it functional.

Would be the best of both worlds, IMHO.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
Towing capacity is likely going to be the real challeng for Tesla. I personally could care less but for a truck to be successful, it does seem to be a basic requirement.

Give me a tough vehicle that can haul my tools and supplies around during the week and then haul the family on the weekend. The Ridge does this well and I have hopes that Tesla might follow this angle.

The Ridge's in bed trunk and dual action tailgate are well engineered features but they most certainly add to the complexity and cost of the vehicle. The trunk has also pushed the bed height up which means the bed itself is on the shallow side. In a Tesla with a good size FRUNK, I don't see the need to add to the cost, complexity by including a Ridgeline like trunk or doing the dual action tailgate (which is mostly there to make the trunk accessable). The Ridge has spoiled me and I will never give up some sort of trunk requirement for my next truck but I can't see the need for an underbed trunk on a Tesla with a good sized Frunk. . . .

That said having some well engineered Rambox like compartments could be a good compliment. There's not likely to be enough space for things like luggage but thats what the Frunk would be for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts