Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some EVs actually produce more emissions than some vehicles using so-called "fossil fuels". Here we have a Tesla that produces more total emissions than a diesel Mercedes. Even though I don't believe CO2 is anything more than plant food, it has garnered a "demon gas" reputation among greenies.

Tesla vs. Mercedes

·
Registered
124 Posts
Two issues for me, #1 there will never be a charging grid that reaches Canada fishing spots.

#2, no one ever talks about the e-waste of all these batteries, you can't just dump them in landfills. This is like the push for florescent bulb usage, ignoring that most people just throw them out, contaminating our ground water, lakes, streams, and fish with mercury. Also like nuclear, nuclear energy is clean, efficient, and sustainable . . . Except for the fact that we need to store very dangerous waste for all of eternity. It seems we like to exchange one problem for another.

·
Super Moderator
4,717 Posts
I have 35 panels on my house and an inverter so when the grid goes down I'm good to go.
Also been daily driving an electric vehicle for over 5 years now. Guess how much I have spent in fuel powering it? $0. I would have already bought a powerwall or something equivalent to cover me at night but the battery storage for solar is still in in its' infancy for residential use.
I am not sure how your system works, but I have 34 solar panels and when the power goes out, so does my electricity. I would have to install a power wall or other battery backup system to have electricity during a power outage.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Typical household arrays shut down when the grid fails because they’re tied to the grid, and we can’t have ‘stray’ voltage being put to the failed grid from multiple random directions when power crews are trying to find and repair the failure and restore the grid.

This is typically accomplished by having a very fast auto-disconnect switch that requires a sine wave from the grid in order to keep your array working. So long as that sine wave is there, your array stays online. If the sine wave disappears (grid fails), the system rapidly disengages your array.

One could arrange a disconnect switch to separate one’s home from the grid, and then put up a single small panel and inverter that generates the necessary sine wave. If done correctly, one could then safely and surely lock one’s home out of the grid, but have the array power the house. One would want to ‘lock out’ that disconnect switch so that no one could accidentally re-connect your array to a failed grid. I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER YOUR POWER COMPANY WOULD APPROVE THIS IDEA, SO DON’T GO TRYING IT AND BLAMING ME OR THE INTERNET IF YOU GET IN TROUBLE OR HURT SOMEONE. I’m simply telling you how it could be done safely.

If you have an array that stays online during a grid failure, my guess is you already have an automated version of what I described. That or a couple other possibilities...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts