Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
It will keep running, at least in my experience so far. When launching my boat, a friend usually backs me into the water and then drives the truck up to the parking lot. The system will beep, but the truck keeps running and he goes and parks it. The key fob is in my pocket in the boat while this is happening.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will keep running, at least in my experience so far. When launching my boat, a friend usually backs me into the water and then drives the truck up to the parking lot. The system will beep, but the truck keeps running and he goes and parks it. The key fob is in my pocket in the boat while this is happening.
hmmm... makes it easier to steal. That would be a nice anti theft feature.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
My last car, a Volvo, would keep running, I haven't tested it out with the Ridgeline yet.
But keep in mind, if the take it, they can't turn it off, or they won't be able to start it again.

I personally have never worried about being car jacked, I would think car thieves would prefer to do it when no one is around.
Too many places have cameras now adays.

· Registered
56 Posts
It is my understanding that the truck will keep going until it runs out of gas and/or is turned off. I believe that this is a safety feature for all of those times that the person with the key fob gets out and forgets to give it to the (new) driver. That happened once to my wife and I with her Pilot. That scenario is a lot more common than a car jacking.

· Premium Member
87 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will turn off. I'll have to test it to see it myself though and have 100% certainty. My reasoning...

I was about to pull out of the driveway with my family and realized we forgot something. I took my whole key set cause I needed to unlock the front door. Halfway to the door (just about 15 feet) my truck turned off. I looked around and my wife had turned it off. I asked her why she turned it off and she said it said "it said it was going to turn off soon anyway". I didn't get clarification on what that meant - just assumed something displayed on the infotainment.

· Registered
64 Posts
With any smart key system I have ever had, the key must be inside the vehicle in order to start. If the key is in your pocket and you are outside the vehicle pumping gas, it will not start. If you leave the car running, however, it will not just turn off either. Just ask all the valets I have forgotten to give the keys to when they drive off with my car.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
This is why I like the aftermarket solution. If the vehicle was running but no key, as soon as the thief hit the gas or the brake the vehicle dies.
I had anti carjacking features with my aftermarket alarm system that use to be on my 2000 Acura TL. You needed to enter code when any door was open when engine was running or when you started engine and pulled off. If you did not the car would shut off if it was going at low speed alarm would sound and lights including brake would flash.
Would not go most likely 200 feet if code was not entered with key in ignition.
Had to disable system after 10yrs when something went wrong with ignition lost many good features never replaced it.
But this is a good question because one of the reason when Acura was new was carjacking were high and it still happens now. Elderly man was shot and killed for his new Dodge Charger last week in PG County Maryland. This was at gas station while refueling his car. Carjacker shot man stole car then set it on fire. Cameras caught him at station before put on TV tipster phoned in to police they got him in DC. Was out at time awaiting trail on similar crime of truck in DC.
So does the horn honk or vehicle beep if you get out with key Fob in pocket and engine running. I had the 2017 RDX loaner last month and I got out I think this thing chirped but I got back in and turned engine off kinda quick.
But in my back yard where I park it's in an alley way I have room enough for two vehicles to park. A luxury for many DC neighborhoods if you have this. When they sell homes they refer to it as off-street parking private space or garage. So I need to open my gates to go in or out so this is why I got anti-carjacking feature for my car the alley use to have a lot of undesirable foot traffic. This is thief/ crackhead type but it's better now.
I always don't like to turn off car when opening gate to back in or closing when going out. I use to travel early in mourning 3-4AM or late night 11-1AM. But whenever I get G2 Ridgeline BE I will adapt and actually it may be better not needing to insert the key or take it out of ignition every time. Just pushing the button prevents the hassle of the key. So does the G2 Ridgeline give alert warning if engine is running and you get out with key fob on your person? Also on higher trim like RTL-E/BE not sure about others can you have the door preset to lock/unlock? can it be preset for only drivers door to door? The auto lock is a feature that was on my aftermarket alarm systems on Acura & Accord would be a joy to have that back. Also auto-start will help out my situation when cold. I don't like to start cold car then turn it off after pulling out of gate. I most of time leave it running while I shut gate. I am in middle part of alley and cut thru was fenced off.

· Registered
132 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will turn off. I'll have to test it to see it myself though and have 100% certainty. My reasoning...

I was about to pull out of the driveway with my family and realized we forgot something. I took my whole key set cause I needed to unlock the front door. Halfway to the door (just about 15 feet) my truck turned off. I looked around and my wife had turned it off. I asked her why she turned it off and she said it said "it said it was going to turn off soon anyway". I didn't get clarification on what that meant - just assumed something displayed on the infotainment.
That's a relatively new feature of push button start vehicles. If it's driving, it will continue running. But if you put it in park, and don't touch anything, it will shut off after a set period of time.
It's there because too many people weren't paying attention when the got out of the car and it kept running until it ran out of gas.

· Registered
151 Posts
Soo... If I need to go into a store for a few minutes and want the vehicle to run my choices are...
1- lock it with the key and it will run
2- turn it off and remote start it

Is this correct or is there a way to get the remote start status without turning off the vehicle first? Is choice 1 secure? ( apologies in advance if this has been covered or I'm breaking rules/etiquette, this is all new to me.)

· Premium Member
87 Posts
That's a relatively new feature of push button start vehicles. If it's driving, it will continue running. But if you put it in park, and don't touch anything, it will shut off after a set period of time.
It's there because too many people weren't paying attention when the got out of the car and it kept running until it ran out of gas.
Well, in my case it had been parked for 15 seconds when I got out so it wasn't that.

However, just now I tested this out... I parked in my driveway when I got home, then left it running, got out with the fob, and put the fob in the garage.

The truck beeped at me when I got out of car notifying me that something was up (e.g. i have the fob in my pocket). When I got back to the truck the dash screen also showed a "fob not detected" or something like that. I then put it in reverse and drove around the block without any issues. The message about the missing fob stayed there.

So, I have no idea what my wife was talking about when she said it was going to turn off automatically. :)

· Registered
4,166 Posts
There are two beeps if you walk away with the fob while the engine is running.
Thanks the loaner 2017 Acura RDX I had last month was the first vehicle I ever drove that had push button start and smart key. I had it for 4 days but with the parking in the back off the alley.
I was going to leave key inside while I open gate because I already started RDX. I then thought keep in pocket because I might forget it when I got to store. When I got out with key I thought it did beep something but I was quick to turn it off. It did not have owners manual in the vehicle only window sticker as it only had 2,000 miles on it. Since RDX would have some similar features as G2 Ridgeline I tried to familiarize myself with some of this stuff.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I have no idea what my wife was talking about when she said it was going to turn off automatically. :)
Maybe it look like it could be the first step in a series of message that lead to something shutting off so she thought that is what was happening.

So judging by MOST answers to a HYPOTHETICAL question, the truck does NOT shut off when driven away from the key fob.

To those that want to turn me in to the gas station police, loosen up.
Did you know they use to make cars without seat belts, air bags and alarms? I survived.
You would be very surprised how how many unnecessary laws there are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.