Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally "tripped the trigger" and got my RTL E!
Stopped at a local dealer in Round Rock TX about a month ago when I thought they had a scarlet in stock...... Of course they didn't.

They did have a modern steel with grey interior coming in which wasn't spoken for. They expected it near the end of November. After a series of "NOs" to the price and as I got up to walk out, they magically agreed to my terms. I got about $2,000 off sticker, but I didn't feel that they valued my trade as high as they should. I got a sales agreement signed by the dealer and headed out for the long wait.

Last week I decided to run my car (Ford C-Max Energi) through CARMAX to see if I could get a better deal. Their price was $1000 worse than the dealer! Sooooooo I ended up with $2K off sticker, $1K in a "generous" trade-in allowance, and $750 in sales tax savings due to the trade.

I was pleased with a dealer that I didn't think that I'd like and a good salesperson who gave me weekly updates.

Monday night I was out for a drive and swung through their "back lot". Yep, My new truck was there..... I wondered why I didn't get a call.
Gave my salesperson a ring and didn't hear back, so I went to the dealership Tuesday afternoon. Sure enough, the salesperson took the week off! I was quickly assigned to a new salesperson, we took a test drive and I was ready to sign for my already agreed-to deal.

The new salesguy ran back and forth a few times, there seemed to be a bit of a disconnect with the "old deal," but we got to the point that the car was out for final cleanup, I'd pulled everything out of my old car and was standing-by for finance. Then (wait for it), it happened...... "Sir, It has been a month since we appraised your trade-in. You have driven it several hundred miles and it has depreciated $536.xx. We need to adjust the price on your deal." Welllll let me just say that lit me up a bit and the dealer's rating went from "5 Stars to barely 3 Stars." I could tell from the expression on the salesguys face that he wasn't buying it either, but had to do what the Sales Manager told him to do. I clearly and concisely explained that we had a written "out the door" agreement, I expected the deal to be honored and, if not, they wouldn't want to see the social media fallout. The salesman went back and somehow "managed" to get them to agree to the already agreed-to price.

The finance manager was fairly easy to work with. He pushed the exteneded warranty a bit. I told him no thanks. If I got one, I would order an OEM online. He said, they "couldn't beat his price." I indicated that when I was ready I'd get my online price and then see if he could match or beat it...... suddenly he got quiet and moved on to the next piece of paper.

Overall the dealer was doing great until they tried to knock down the price of my trade after we had a firm agreement. That's the crap that gives dealers a bad name!

I'm lovin' the truck. I did my ham radio install yesterday. Body side moldings and mud guards are on the way from Bernardi (no shipping charges this weekend). When it is all done, I'll post some pictures.

Happy Holidays All!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well done and great that you held your ground. I can't believe that the whole process stops when the salesperson is out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had negotiated a deal with a prior stock unit, and we danced around until there was an RTL-E in the dark grey inbound. The deal didn't change, total of $1k off sticker and no dest. Unit arrived week of the 7th. I didn't do a trade, instead sold my old beater full-size work van on craigslist (which took a week total including bad weather) with cash in pocket.

Aside from wanting all the canuck features, I love this thing. Already put in LED fog, LED high beams, LED dome and doors, tonneau, wide drivers side mirror, rails and crossbars. Wheel and tire upgrades are next...

Enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Super thankful to have dealt with a Dealer that didn't feel like they were jerking us around Ever.

And we're no novices to car buying lol.

Glad you got what you wanted Scooter!

Reactions: ScooterS

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy it. I've had mine for 5 months and I still get excited at the prospect of driving it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts