Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested in carrying canoes on the top of your truck I was able to modify the Honda roof rack to carry two canoes. I lashed two long 2x2 boards to the rack, tied the bows of the canoes to the tie hook under the front bumper, then tied the sterns of the canoes to the bed extension brackets in the bed of the truck. It worked like a charm.

If someone helps me post a picture I can show you. The picture size I have is too big to attach to this post.

Regards, Ted

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does this mean if you ever flipped over into a river your ridge would float? Maybe you can retro the tailgate to act as a rutter !! :D ;) ( PontoonRidge )

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
tedridge said:
If someone helps me post a picture I can show you. The picture size I have is too big to attach to this post.
Under the section where you type in the text, there is a section that talks about Manage Attachments, this allows you to post pictures. You will need to make sure that you have resized the images to 640x640 max and no more than 170k in size. This is fairly easy by doing a resize to 640 on the large side and then saving at 85% image quality in jpg format. 640x640 at full 100% quality is still too large for the limit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached is a picture of my Ridgeline with the two canoes on top. Thanks for the help on posting the attachment.

Regards, Ted

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Nice picture. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
tedridge said:
Attached is a picture of my Ridgeline with the two canoes on top. Thanks for the help on posting the attachment.
I know I wouldn't drive far with that setup, but my uncle did something very similar and drove over 900 miles (mostly highway) without any issues until he was driving through the woods at the other end of the 900 miles. Glad it worked for you though.

I am still hoping Yakima will come out with a rack adapter for the Ridgeline that will take their longer round bars to do something very similar to what you did.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My canoe trips are just a couple of miles from home and mostly highway driving. So my jerry-rigged setup worked for me. If I was planning on a 900 mile trip like your Uncle I'd probably modify my utility trailer to tow the canoes instead. I may end of looking into the Thule bars and brackets if and when they make them for the Ridgeline.

I've never heard of Yakima.

Regards.

L

·
0 Posts
Wow..that's great. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I use to canoe the 'MadHatter" here in NE Ohio every year for many years. I still try to get to Loudenville to do the 9 mile. Makes me feel like I should have a feather in my hair. :p
Have fun.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's nothing like a relaxing canoe ride, feather in your hair or not. I'm glad you like the picture. Regards.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
tedridge said:
I've never heard of Yakima.
Yakima is another company that makes a lot of roof racks. They actually have a few accessories that will snap around the rack bars on the Honda rack. But nothing that accepts their bars. I am still hoping to hear from them regarding future plans to build something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts