Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in a rush to get to work ( afternoon shift )... started rolling out towards the main road...started to hear a little noise in the wheel well area, thought to myself...there is no way the tires are rubbing ( checked thoroughly and been driving for the last 3 months !! :nerd: )

as I drove to work ( about 10 KM )... noise got worse and sound more and more like the sound when your brake pads are totally worn down to the metal..:frown::surprise: ( but they operates fine without pulsing and I only got 5K on the thing ) :crying:

got to work...kinda dark outside and almost time to start..etc.

So just parked and went in....boy was it ever a long day not knowing the problems. :frown::frown: ( even called the dealership to tell them I'm coming in 1st thing they open in the morning. )

after work...got a friend observed things with flashlight while I rolled slowly....guess what we found inside the wheel and resting next to the brake caliper housing ??

a freaking peach pit !!! :surprise::surprise::frown:

as the wheel rolled...it get wedge in there and grind..etc. ( see a little scored marks )

There were some maintenance done around the building this morning with the leaf blower ( weekly yard works )...at first I'd thought maybe somehow they blew some gravel inside the caliper but that is next to impossible..etc.

what do you think?
stupid jealous neighbors or them squirrels ?? :|

anyway...glad I found the culprit...it's not fun hunting for phantom noises.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Squirrel Stashed Nut!:surprise:
I knew that..but thought the squirrels might have play with the pit as a nut and realized it wasn't and left it there. ( maybe this thought was a result of me hoping it's not sabotage from human )

Maybe somehow the force of the leaf blower got this thing ROLLING and hopping inside ?...feasible ? as a rolling object can really end up in mysterious places ? :|

so now I gotta play detective ?? :surprise:

·
Registered
163 Posts
When stuff like that shows up under the hood or in the wheels, it's almost always mice or squirrel. Those score marks you're showing look like teeth marks, at least in that pic.

Pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
BTW, first thing I did when checking out the RL was look under the hood to make sure the problem I had with my 05 pilot (open gap leading to blower) was not present. Appears to have been addressed. I park outside year-round and we live in a wooded neighbor. Doesn't help that the neighbor feeds the birds, so we get a TON of mice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychlist1972/albums/72157665096955272

Not for the squeamish, but I can also confirm the answer to "will it blend" is yes, when you're talking about a mouse (or a mouse nest) and the squirrel cage fan. Went through several of them (mice and fans).

Pete

·
Registered
741 Posts
BTW, first thing I did when checking out the RL was look under the hood to make sure the problem I had with my 05 pilot (open gap leading to blower) was not present. Appears to have been addressed. I park outside year-round and we live in a wooded neighbor. Doesn't help that the neighbor feeds the birds, so we get a TON of mice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychlist1972/albums/72157665096955272

Not for the squeamish, but I can also confirm the answer to "will it blend" is yes, when you're talking about a mouse (or a mouse nest) and the squirrel cage fan. Went through several of them (mice and fans).

Pete
I hope we don't have any RL owners on here who are full-on PETA members!! >:):grin::wink:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Check your harnesses and engine bay for nests. My brother in law just had to get his harnesses fixed, not cheap. Honda sells something called rodent tape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my Pilot blower filled up like that, what a pain.

What was worse was when a "rodent" ate my anti-knock sensor on the pilot. That was expensive to fix because it was under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
that is great story an I have had and having long day and still going working from home. I needed that tonight it made me laugh thinking how crazy that is for sure

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Critters, just trying to survive (just like us humans), especially up here in the freezing north... I know they can damage our very expensive machinery & homes.

We've had a few... a little mouse trying to survive winter in our brand new shrink-wrap winterized $38K boat at Cabelas - he chewed up nuts all over, another mouse snuck into our 1985 Alfa Romeo in our garage, a chipmunk chewed thru the single gap in our siding and got into our basement, a stray cat camped out in my old sailboat in freezing Minnesota winter, and a family of birds got into our dryer vent (our pest control guy amazingly fished them all out alive with a gizmo that looked like a golf ball water trap retriever, then fixed our vent).

Try to keep them out as best you can, maintain your weatherstripping on car/home doors, put some outside food when sensible to decoy them away, trap them (humanely whenever possible) instead of poison (nasty for kids & pets), get a dog or cat to chase them away (our Scottie is an absolute beast in doing that - few critter problems since we got her), and thus spread some good karma when possible.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
get a dog or cat to chase them away (our Scottie is an absolute beast in doing that)

She's a terrier beast, loves boating, fishing, and chasing all critter intruders from our vehicles and boat away ?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1481254822.024266.jpg

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Squirrel Stashed Nut!:surprise:
we cracked open the thing...it IS actually a walnut ! >:) (so my friends said...)
I always thought them nuts are smooth on the outside not rough looking like a peach pit.

I was surprised too as the dried up object looks just like a peach pit. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Depends on the walnut. English walnuts are smooth, but black walnuts are rough, like a peach pit (they are also extremely difficult to crack). Or if the husk dries up on either one, they look like prunes.

We have quite a few black Walnut trees around here. Most folks don't mess with them because they are too messy (the black stain used to be used as ink). Folks who do harvest them usually dump them in are parking lot and run over them with a heavy truck to break the husk off. Then to crack the shell off the nut, you need a heavy-duty nutcracker, one of those stainless steel jobbies with a two-foot-long handle. I'm sure commercial growers have a much more efficient way of processing them.

The wood itself from black Walnut trees is highly prized, often used for making rifle stocks.

Ridgeline content: I don't think a Ridgeline is heavy enough to efficiently remove the husks, and you'd definitely need more aggressive tires!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Looks more like a black walnut than a peach pit. I am thinking peach pits are poison to animals so I doubt a squirrel would be wintering those. But! I'm not a squirrel. And I may not know my peach pits from my walnuts either. If you have the patience to crack and pick out the meat. Black Walnuts make a very tasty pie. Just substitute or mix with pecans in a pecan pie recipe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got my Pilot blower filled up like that, what a pain.

What was worse was when a "rodent" ate my anti-knock sensor on the pilot. That was expensive to fix because it was under the intake manifold.
From talking with may other Pilot owners over the years, it was pretty common. It had nothing to do with food in the car, it was just opportunistic shelter due to the shape of that air intake. I screened some off with wire mesh and epoxy, but I could never get that one spot under the hood. I considered epoxying the mesh from the inside of the blower housing (I had that thing off as much as on), but just never got around to trying it.

mouse nest in blower motor - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
https://consumerist.com/2011/10/04/how-do-i-stop-the-mice-from-sneaking-into-my-honda-pilot/

People would tell me to get a cat, but I don't want any outdoor pets, and I like the birds we have around here. Also, an owl tried to fly away with a neighbor's cat some years ago. Big friggin owl! :)

My father in law started up my Snow Blower a couple weeks ago when I was traveling. A bunch of mice ran out from inside it. Last year, it was a snake...out the chute...in chunks.

Pete

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
.... People would tell me to get a cat, but I don't want any outdoor pets, and I like the birds we have around here. Also, an owl tried to fly away with a neighbor's cat some years ago. Big friggin owl! :)

My father in law started up my Snow Blower a couple weeks ago when I was traveling. A bunch of mice ran out from inside it. Last year, it was a snake...out the chute...in chunks.

That brought back a memory from growing up in freezing Minnesota.... One cold night our neighbor started up his big old Dodge pickup, and heard a snarl. Turns out his cat was laying on top of the radiator (probably to get its warmth from earlier use), and his tail got chopped off from the fan blade. They took the cat to the vet, other than a newly docked tail, he was fine. He said his cat never did that again....

·
Registered
163 Posts
That brought back a memory from growing up in freezing Minnesota.... One cold night our neighbor started up his big old Dodge pickup, and heard a snarl. Turns out his cat was laying on top of the radiator (probably to get its warmth from earlier use), and his tail got chopped off from the fan blade. They took the cat to the vet, other than a newly docked tail, he was fine. He said his cat never did that again....
My mum had a 1984 Mustang back in the day. One day, she started it up, and it turns out a stray cat was under the hood. We couldn't figure out what was up at first because there was a knocking noise, and no animal sounds. Then some fur got sucked into the air intake and came out the vents.

The stray cat was torn up from the belts and had to be put down. The belts and a few other parts (alternator, as I recall) were all torn up as well.

My mother wouldn't let me look under the hood. I understand it was...nasty.

Pete

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Moral of the story is cats and engines don't mix. However, another good reason to buy a Ridgeline ?.... ain't no way any cat can crawl up into its engine ... with its packed mass of mechanicals, and cladding underneath...

·
Registered
973 Posts
In Central Oregon it is the damn desert pack rats. Before we converted our carport into a garage two years ago, we had the damn things in my old Tundra and my 06 RL. What worked really well was one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM859OA/

The nice thing is that they work better than snap traps and you don't wind up with a smelly dead rat in your truck like with poison. In fact, I still keep one in the garage just in case one of the little jerks manages to get in there.

The worst thing is that once you have had a rat in a vehicle, no matter now well you wash and clean, they can detect the smell from the last one and you are more likely to attract another.

Stupid thing chewed thru sensor wires on the Tundra and had to pull the manifold to fix them. $400 back in 03.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts