Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added Sirius to my Ridgeline. I had Best Buy install it so that all of the wires are hided and the power is wired internally.

My question: Is there a way to hard wire the Sirius tuner directly to the Ridgeline stereo? Best Buy said that it would require some sort of adapter? Currently it is using the FM modulator (wireless).

Thanks.

David
St. Louis, MO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you BamaRidge. I think that I will try it.

For someone not too mechanically inclined, I wonder if it is a difficult install to do. I currently have my Sirius receiver located to the right of the stereo and immediately above the glove box. I can always go back to Best Buy to have them do it if needed.

Also what is a Radio Shack GLI?

David

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's really not too tough. The scariest part is removing the dash. You can see the instructions for this by going to the H and A web page and and looking at the MP3 Player instruction PDF. Follow steps 1 thru 4.

A GLI (Ground Loop Isolator) stops alternator whine noise from being added to your system. Some vehicles need this, some don't. I added one just because I didn't want to have to go back behind the dash in if the noise showed up. Radio Shack makes a good one at a cheap price.

If you decide to have Best Buy do your install, take a copy of that H and A PDF with you.

The difference in fidelity is like night and day after you install the Snhond3.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Bama

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bama. I ordered the adapter. I am having a power issues with the Sirius, so I am going to wait until the adapter comes in. Best Buy will look at the power issue and install the adapter for me for free.

David

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night I added the Soundgate Snhond3 and the Radio Shack GLI. It sound great. The Sirius system is the way to go! Much better than XM.

Thanks for your help.

David

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The Sirius system is the way to go! Much better than XM.
I'm glad to hear that. My nephew was the project engineer for Lucent that developed the software for Sirius. There were 120 engineers working on that project.
Before that he was involved in the software for tracking nuclear subs. Since the project was classified, we never did know exactly what he did, but I once asked him if the movie "Hunt for Red October" was a fairly accurate depiction of the subject and he said that it was. His field of expertise is sound packet transmission.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, I found an adapter made by Audiovox..... found it at a car stereo/radio place (about $20.00). I assume your Sirius unit has a female jack port labeled "FM." If so, you plug one end of the adapter in there, then fish the other end up through the dash to where your AM/FM antennae connects.

I've done this on a Ford Explorer and Jeep Wrangler (will be purchasing a Ridgeline in the next few weeks and plan to install one there too). Both of the installations I've done were fairly easy to do.

If you cannot find one, e-mail me and I'll see if I can help out ([email protected]). Let me know the brand of your Sirius receiver/shuttle. My reciever is an Audiovox SIR-PNP2, and my vehicle shuttle is part # SIR-CK1.

It does make a BIG difference, especially when you are in a major metro area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks BassBud. I took BamaRidge's advice and bought the adapter that hooks into the AUX output. I also added the GLI from Radio Shack.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
go4bal -- Out of curiosity, what kind of SIRIUS receiver do you have (PNP or in-dash)? I have the XACT Stream Jockey (love it) but I've got my eye on the new ST2 Starmate Replay. I finally saw one up close and personal at Radio Shack and it really looks nice. Much smaller and just looks sweet. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Starmate Replay. I bought it at Best Buy. I really like the small size. I have it mounted just above my glove box to the right of the Honda in-dash receiver. It works well with the 3 wires that go into the dash. The quality of the music is great with it being hardwired.

At Best Buy they said that it was covered by the $30 rebate. When I found out it was not covered, they refunded me $30. -- Good service there.

David
St. Louis, MO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts