Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned Honda's since 1994. One Acura Integra, two Accords and one Ridgeline. Unfortunately Honda has completely failed to capitalize on the Accord and Ridgeline. They priced themselves out of consideration on the Acura line for what you get. I totaled my 2006 Ridgeline RTL in December 2015 and have been looking different vehicles to meet my needs / wants. The GM products use plastics that are cheaper (Or appear so) than some of the plastic toys my youngest gets from the dollar store. The Ford F-150 Sport and Lariat 4x4 wallowed terribly (Felt supremely top heavy, especially in crosswinds) to the point I pulled over and checked tire pressure on both trucks (3.5L turbo and the 5.0L Coyote V8) However, I was very impressed with Ford's 3.5L Turbo'd Eco-boost, it is a VERY STRONG motor!. The Ram Limited was impressive, but WAY TOO MUCH $$$. My wife and checked out the Toyota Tundra Limited Crew Max 4x4. She hates the idea of spending $$$ almost as much as I do, but the truck was the most appealing to her and me. I will surely miss the handling of my Ridgeline, I am dreading the though of not having the in-bed trunk for the storage space for all of the crap I tend to carry with me (Tools, Axe, Window Breaker, Jack, Disabled Car Kit, ect). I am already dreading climbing in and out of the bed (Scared of heights :grin:). I will really miss the fuel economy. Funny thing about all of this is my wife said, in the beginning of the search, that a full size was just too big. After sitting in the Canyon / Colorado, Toyota Tundra, and other, my wife looked at me said that she was REALLY going to miss the Ridgeline and we were getting a full size truck. The reasons i am not considering the new Ridgeline are: Smaller trunk, no real interior storage space, no center console arm rest, and uglier styling (Did not think this was actually possible). Sorry guys, but Honda has let me down across the board. I have no plans to leave the forum, but i will no longer be a Ridgeline owner as of next week.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
I completely understand. Since my first of what would eventually become 5 new Hondas, I've been impressed with the reliability and resale value of each one. They aren't the quietest or have the most features, but they've been a smart choice. It appears that I, too, will be leaving the Ridgeline family this week as I swap my Ridgeline for a new CR-V Touring. As "bad" as Honda has become in some respects, I still can't find a "better" brand. Almost two years ago, I paid $35K for my Ridgeline and have been offered $31K for it. I never used the back seat or 4WD and rarely used the bed or trunk. My fuel bill is almost twice that of the CR-V. So, while I'm staying with the Honda family for now and will still hang around here, my Ridgeline days are numbered as well. I have zero interest in the new Ridgeline. There's really not a need for me to even test drive one at this point. The looks and interior alone killed it for me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
:( :( :(

Sorry to hear Mike. You know..... if you're coming from a 2006 (the one that died in Dec?), then you might not be terribly disappointed if you were to find a 2014 with sub-20K miles on it? Especially a Texas or Southwest truck..... you could probably find one that is in near-new condition if you shopped around.

I can't tell you how many former RL owners have come up to me in parking lots etc., ruminating over how they wish they never sold their Ridgeline. How's that song go?.... "you're gonna miss, you're gonna miss, you're gonna miss ....."

I'm just sayin'.......

·
Registered
682 Posts
not that anybody from honda is listening or would chime in if they were, but i think they are going to be sadly disappointed with the sales of the next gen RL.

for me i'm not getting one, i'm not a fan of the chopped off cr-v look

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
You know..... if you're coming from a 2006 (the one that died in Dec?), then you might not be terribly disappointed if you were to find a 2014 with sub-20K miles on it? Especially a Texas or Southwest truck..... you could probably find one that is in near-new condition if you shopped around.
Holmes Honda in Shreveport, LA is about to have one exactly like that Saturday. I'm guessing they'll ask about $34K for it, but might take $32K. :wink:

·
Registered
246 Posts
The reasons i am not considering the new Ridgeline are: Smaller trunk, no real interior storage space, no center console arm rest, and uglier styling (Did not think this was actually possible).

Mike,

no disrespect, but after reading your post... I'm lost. The midsize market obviously is a fail in comparison to your G1 RL.

You don't really want a full size, yet understand to get similar room it's your only choice. You mention serious negatives with all the full size trucks mentioned.

Your reason for disqualifying the G2 is over a missing console arm rest (G2 has armrests and a console, just not together), a smaller trunk (I don't know that it's really smaller, just shaped different and likely more volume), less interior space (again, not a fact.. rear seat should be identical and console is bigger than G1) and the 'look'.

If you don't like the look, than that's a good reason. But you'd really give up the great driving, F/E, smaller footprint with full size cabin space over a look that may grow on you? The G1 was no hottie, but in my recent Taco comparison, I think the G1 actually looks a lot better than the Taco, and it's not ugly next to a Twin.

Again, no disrespect... but are you sure of your choice?

Reactions: S.T.U.V

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Did the Edmunds appraisal on my '13 RTL the other day and was amazed at how the value is holding on the RL. Been with Honda since 1981 with 18 new ones. Had a hiatus between 88 and 92 when Honda was too independent to deal with and bought a couple of Mazdas 626's then back to Honda in 1994. Doubt if you will ever hear from Honda Mike, I never have. At my ripe old age we will most likely be going to one vehicle along with downsizing to a smaller home. We will probably be selling the wife's '14 CT and trading my '13 RTL either for a GEN II RL or an Acura RDX. Past time to slow down, I will be 79 this summer.

Reactions: S.T.U.V and xrdad

·
Registered
682 Posts
34k for a USED 2012? wow, i paid 25k for my 07 NEW! (rtl no nav)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Mike,

no disrespect, but after reading your post... I'm lost. The midsize market obviously is a fail in comparison to your G1 RL.

You don't really want a full size, yet understand to get similar room it's your only choice. You mention serious negatives with all the full size trucks mentioned.

Your reason for disqualifying the G2 is over a missing console arm rest (G2 has armrests and a console, just not together), a smaller trunk (I don't know that it's really smaller, just shaped different and likely more volume), less interior space (again, not a fact.. rear seat should be identical and console is bigger than G1) and the 'look'.

If you don't like the look, than that's a good reason. But you'd really give up the great driving, F/E, smaller footprint with full size cabin space over a look that may grow on you? The G1 was no hottie, but in my recent Taco comparison, I think the G1 actually looks a lot better than the Taco, and it's not ugly next to a Twin.

Again, no disrespect... but are you sure of your choice?
Im pretty sure the trunk was getting alot bigger? I just like how all the opinions are coming out before the vehicle has even been seen in person,sat in, or driven around.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Been with Honda since 1981 with 18 new ones.

Past time to slow down, I will be 79 this summer.
The only thing it's past time for is updating that user name to "35 Year Honda Owner"! :)

We have a sales guy that comes by our office who is in his 7th decade - he runs wide open from sunrise to sunset. Every. Single. Day. If he's ill, he works. If he has surgery, he's back at work as soon as the procedure is finished.

My step-dad is in his 7th decade as well and I guarantee he can run circles around me in both strength and endurance (and, unfortunately, the number of childhood and war stories he repeats over and over and over - haha!).

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
The only thing it's past time for is updating that user name to "35 Year Honda Owner"! :)

We have a sales guy that comes by our office who is in his 7th decade - he runs wide open from sunrise to sunset. Every. Single. Day. If he's ill, he works. If he has surgery, he's back at work as soon as the procedure is finished.

My step-dad is in his 7th decade as well and I guarantee he can run circles around me in both strength and endurance (and, unfortunately, the number of childhood and war stories he repeats over and over and over - haha!).
Too many miles on my clock, finally catching up with me. As far as the name change, I had no idea the ROC would last this long.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Too many miles on my clock, finally catching up with me. As far as the name change, I had no idea the ROC would last this long.
I was fashionably late to the ROC, which was already fairly well established by the time I bought my first of three Ridgelines in 2007. No other forum has brought about so many emotions from joy to anger to sadness as this one. There is definitely an air of change around here as many key members leave and a new generation of Ridgeline appears whose success remains questionable. There will no doubt be many years of life left in the ROC - likely with a new demographic of owners and new topics to discuss. Although my Ridgeline ownership is ending once again (I've been here before in 2008), I'm just outright bored with the G1 and have no interest in the G2.

All good things must come to an end. :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I pretty much agree with you Mike. I think they focus group'ed a bunch of folks who don't have trucks, who imagined how they might use a truck, and then Honda took that info and applied it to a Pilot, and asked "now, how can we get a bunch of money out of this thing?"

They took away the functional arm rest and replaced it with a purse holder, replaced easily-gripped knobs with small electronics, and added shiny higher-end, dust magnet surfaces prone to scratches, and light-toned leather seats prone to showing dirt.

A lot of people who watched the superb bowl ad thought the singing sheep was the un-realistic special effects part. What was more unrealistic was a sheep farmer using that top-trim-line with the built-in speakers and the light grey leather seats to tend to the cattle. I bet he won't choose the G2 RL on marking day.

The in-bed electricity is appealing, but who is going to pay the top dollar to get it, and then risk ruining the top-end interior throwing tools around at the end of the day?

Three word critique of the trunk space: "full size spare."

The beauty of Gen 1 was it could work all day and then go out on the town.

Gen 2 is all about going out on the town, if you have money left in your wallet to go out on.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well I have to say that as a guy in his 70's that rides a bike 20+ miles 3 times a week and drives the RL 35,000 miles a year, I can't wait for the Gen II to be released. After 2-1/2 million miles in a lot of different cars and trucks, this RL is hands down the most reliable vehicle I have ever driven, and I have to say the most fun, I'm eager to drive the gen II over the next mountain in snow, ice, rain and dirt roads.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Well I have to say that as a guy in his 70's that rides a bike 20+ miles 3 times a week and drives the RL 35,000 miles a year, I can't wait for the Gen II to be released. After 2-1/2 million miles in a lot of different cars and trucks, this RL is hands down the most reliable vehicle I have ever driven, and I have to say the most fun, I'm eager to drive the gen II over the next mountain in snow, ice, rain and dirt roads.
Now we're talking! Much the same here. 70-something, still ride my motorcycle about 15k miles a year, drive my 4 wheeled vehicles about 20k miles a year. Not sure how many miles I have driven/ridden in my lifetime, but I'm pretty close to the 100 mark on how many 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled vehicles I've owned.

I miss my Gen 1 RL and from what I have seen and read so far, I have every reason to believe I will enjoy the Gen 2 just as much. I for one do not see all the negative of the commonality to the highly successful Pilot. I've owned both an '03 and a '10 and loved them both. Most all of what I see on the Gen 3 Pilot is for the positive.

I don't want/need a truck-truck (Tacoma/Tundra/Colorado/F150/Ram/etc). I want a SUT - as in the RL or comparable. As of now, there is nothing comparable, so a RL it is!

My .02

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Mike,

Did I miss your thread about the accident? I sure don't remember it. I must have missed it as no one else in this thread asked about it.

Link please?

colorider? I think I remember your user name from the old SabMag listserv. Or am I also not remembering correctly?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
colorider? I think I remember your user name from the old SabMag listserv. Or am I also not remembering correctly?
I was never on SabMag, but knew several members. Many eventually moved on to ST's and STOC, which I have been part of for a VERY long time.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Folks, I am more than aware of what I will miss. Very much so. However, I have looked at the 2016 Pilot, spoken to more that just several current owners. I was not impressed with what they had to say. Nor am I paying new car $$$ for a vehicle I do not know the records of. At least I will have a warranty with the new truck I am buying. I am surprised by the fact Honda has simply turned their collective backs on the Ridgeline and now want to make it a car interior with very little storage space. The console may be the same size or a tad bigger (For a purse), but the dinky arm sticks are in the wrong place to offer any support that is comfortable. The trunk will be smaller, take time to look at the pics out there. It will be smaller. Fuel economy is no different than a full size truck (But better than the Tundra), however, I can haul an RV trailer without concern (Other than fuel cost). If I have the chance in a year or two, I just may buy a used Ridgeline for my youngest to drive. I have to move forward and Honda is no longer the brand for me or my family for now. If Honda starts to show they care about the consumers wants, well, they may win me back. Heck, even my wife told me she wants to check out the Nissan Titan XD.

Reactions: larryr

·
Registered
246 Posts
The trunk will be smaller, take time to look at the pics out there. It will be smaller. Fuel economy is no different than a full size truck
Good luck to you Mike.. sounds like you know what you want.

For others reading the thread though, don't be confused by these statements: The trunk is not confirmed smaller to my knowledge, and in fact, I understand it to be flat bottomed and be slightly larger.

The fuel econ comment is completely wrong. The G2 will be significantly better than any full size truck and is actually expected to be the leader of ANY truck on the market.

It is also expected to be in line or better than most in straight up acceleration and will easily out handle anything with a box. True torque vectoring is ONLY available in an RL, and the only fully independent suspension 1/2 ton available! If you don't know why that's important, just google it. Straight axles have a place - in cheap econo cars and in heavy duty applications.

Granted, towing is confirmed to be same at G1 - so if you are going heavy duty and the G1 wasn't enough for you, the G2 will not be for you either.
But buyer beware - none of the midsize trucks, regardless of the towing spec is really a great hauler. Big trailers require big trucks, and the more you tow, the bigger the better. You should be shopping 2500 series for a safe and reliable long term hauler.

Reactions: colorider
1 - 20 of 49 Posts