Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea of getting a new vehicle only hit me about three weeks ago.

I was going to just drive my 99 Dodge Ram extended cab deisel untill the wheels fell off. It's mostly a work truck and doesn't need to go very far. My wife's car we trade in about every three years and it's the trip car or out to dinner car. Right now it's an Epedition which I don't like much but it suffices.

But then diesel went over three dollars. Heck it used to be less than regular by a substantial amount!

So I started looking at what's out there. Read all the articles and being a subscriber to Consumer Reports dug out the July issue and gee .... I had breezed right by it when it came out. What a suprise! CR loves the Ridgeline. I've also read about half of all the posts on this board.

I've test driven an RL and it's major competitors. None of the competitors come close. I'm absolutely fixated on the RL. Worries me actually. I hate it when I get like this. I've never liked the obsessive side of my personality. ;)

How could Honda get something so right and nobody else even be in the ball park?

I recognize the RL is somewhat a niche vehicle. It will never satisfy the dyed in the wool truck enthusiast ... which I USED to be. Age has changed my view of things. It is not a rugged off road vehicle but only a young fool expects a luxury vehicle to also be a true off roader. The type of 4 wheel drive the RL does posses however is actually better for most drivers. Getting out of the occaisional mudhole and being safe on snow covered roads. Should do fine on the beach too but very few folks get this oportunity.

I have to admit to myself that what I like most about the RL is that it's more car than truck .... but it is still quite a bit truck. The interior room is huge compared to any of it's competitors. I can't stand the cramped feeling of the small trucks. I love airbags too. The extra protection of the RL gives me a very good feeling.

I think Honda is going to sell a hundred thousand of these things next year. It takes a while for something this new and revolutionary to catch on. It went right over MY head untill I just happened to be in the market and I was in the market when it seems most other Americans have their heads pulled back into their shells pretty snugly. When they stick their heads back out they will see the Ridgeline. It may not be a gass sipper but it's much more frugal than any V8 and their are millions of folks looking to get shed of those.

Not being much of a true 'enthusiast in general' ... I mean I don't pay much attention to the industry ... is there something else out there I might be missing? Even in the luxury category for substantially more money?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been a truck owner, a luxury car owner, a sports car owner and an SUV owner. I can honestly say the Ridgeline Nav is as much vehicle as I have ever wanted.................take the plunge.......................... :) Get a Silver one !!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
sfleming said:
The idea of getting a new vehicle only hit me about three weeks ago.

I was going to just drive my 99 Dodge Ram extended cab deisel untill the wheels fell off. It's mostly a work truck and doesn't need to go very far. My wife's car we trade in about every three years and it's the trip car or out to dinner car. Right now it's an Epedition which I don't like much but it suffices.

But then diesel went over three dollars. Heck it used to be less than regular by a substantial amount!

So I started looking at what's out there. Read all the articles and being a subscriber to Consumer Reports dug out the July issue and gee .... I had breezed right by it when it came out. What a suprise! CR loves the Ridgeline. I've also read about half of all the posts on this board.

I've test driven an RL and it's major competitors. None of the competitors come close. I'm absolutely fixated on the RL. Worries me actually. I hate it when I get like this. I've never liked the obsessive side of my personality. ;)

How could Honda get something so right and nobody else even be in the ball park?

I recognize the RL is somewhat a niche vehicle. It will never satisfy the dyed in the wool truck enthusiast ... which I USED to be. Age has changed my view of things. It is not a rugged off road vehicle but only a young fool expects a luxury vehicle to also be a true off roader. The type of 4 wheel drive the RL does posses however is actually better for most drivers. Getting out of the occaisional mudhole and being safe on snow covered roads. Should do fine on the beach too but very few folks get this oportunity.

I have to admit to myself that what I like most about the RL is that it's more car than truck .... but it is still quite a bit truck. The interior room is huge compared to any of it's competitors. I can't stand the cramped feeling of the small trucks. I love airbags too. The extra protection of the RL gives me a very good feeling.

I think Honda is going to sell a hundred thousand of these things next year. It takes a while for something this new and revolutionary to catch on. It went right over MY head untill I just happened to be in the market and I was in the market when it seems most other Americans have their heads pulled back into their shells pretty snugly. When they stick their heads back out they will see the Ridgeline. It may not be a gass sipper but it's much more frugal than any V8 and their are millions of folks looking to get shed of those.

Not being much of a true 'enthusiast in general' ... I mean I don't pay much attention to the industry ... is there something else out there I might be missing? Even in the luxury category for substantially more money?
You know, I looked and looked for alternatives too. It came down to a Toyota Sequoia or a VW Tourareg. The first cost more and wasn't going to be as utilitarian and the mileage was about the same or a tad worse. The Tourareg was a very technologically advanced vehicle, rode better, etc, but was much more expensive and too darn small. The Avalanche rode rough and guzzled gas so it wasn't even considered.

I tried. I just couldn't find an alternative that had everything I wanted and needed. When I get my tonneau cover or maybe a topper. I'll be in high clover with the Ridge.

Keep looking my friend. Best of luck to you. But my suspicion is you've found your new vehicle.

My only regrets are that I didn't get XM.

Embo

PS. How's that for fixing the technology question?????

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've owned moe trucks than most but the Ridgeline just hit's the nail on the head. I've worn the new off mine (22125 miles) and I still think like I bought it yesterday.

Tiger

·
Registered
257 Posts
First of all Sflemming, you must be in the writing/author/editing world because your story was extremely well written. Nice job.

Moving forward, your feeling are about 99% the all of us feel, which is why we're here. The RL is the only truck that excited me. There are soooo many cool little nick knacks and features and **** that I can hardly stand it.

There is nothing out there, period 2 spaces that compairs, your 100% right. I looked and looked. The ONLY thing I was going to buy ( Cause I am A HUGE BMW fan, talk about quality in craftsmenship) was a new X5. LOVE'm!!!!

I have a loaded 528i w/ sportpack, badass vehicle, LOVE IT and I was gonna get the X5. but, practicallity set in and we too have a " Dinner Vehicle" which is the beamer

·
Registered
84 Posts
"How could Honda get something so right and nobody else even be in the ball park? "

That was the worst part about getting a Ridgeline. I got so angry at Ford, et al. that I really couldn't enjoy the Ridge for a while. I've been driving Ford trucks for thirty years. I was so pissed that the Honda was generations ahead of the American crars (crap+car). The American business model, with an eye one quarter ahead, really has let us down as consumers, and as a culture.

I got over it. Am enjoying the Ridgeline more than any vehicle I've ever owned. My favorite part is the ride, followed by the motor, transmission, and XM radio.

How can the Tourag possibly be significantly advanced over the Ridgeline? Stability control? Four channel brakes? Variable torque? Variable valve technology? Boxed frame on unibody? Independent suspension? 5 star front, side, offset rating? Lowest tendency to roll over of any SUV/Truck? Counter balanced engine? I have always liked volkswagens, but I don't understand that comment.

I used the bed in my trucks occasionally. I figure, if you own a house, you need a truck occasionally. The opportunity to buy something on sale and bring it home has always paid for the trucks I've owned in the long run. But, I really don't neet to haul 3/4 ton on manure every weekend. I just need truck that will keep the house running.

The Ridgeline IS my dinner vehicle.

If you can find a better vehicle, buy it!!! :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Get the Ridgeline, you won't regret it. But don't get silver, get the green. Everybody knows the green ones have more horsepower! :D

L

·
0 Posts
zero said:
Get the Ridgeline, you won't regret it. But don't get silver, get the green. Everybody knows the green ones have more horsepower! :D
Hey now Doc..lets not try to talk people into buying a color other than Silver. We all know everyone really wants Silver.
And as far as more horse power...the saying goes..
"Hi Ho Silver..AWAY!!!!"
NOT..
"Hi Ho Amazon Green..AWAY!!"
:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
ladyridge said:
Hey now Doc..lets not try to talk people into buying a color other than Silver. We all know everyone really wants Silver.
And as far as more horse power...the saying goes..
"Hi Ho Silver..AWAY!!!!"
NOT..
"Hi Ho Amazon Green..AWAY!!"

What only one pony... I prefer SUPERMAN!! The man of STEEL dressed in BLUE!! Hyper Speed!! :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you really want to be noticed, including by the men/women in blue, get Red ;).

Green is certainly an understated color, it looks nice but doesn't jump out at you. This is good if you want to go fast and not get caught ;).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Zeros right --- the Horse Power on the green is better and the 4WD drive is much better too, not to mention interior sound quality on the stereo is a whole notch up. I guess the folks at Honda really like the green.

Just a thought :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Redridgerock said:
captmiddy said:
If you really want to be noticed, including by the men/women in blue, get Red ;).

The captn's right. Red looks fast just sitting there.
Oh yeah. Red baby! RED!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you don't want a lemon, or creaky steering wheel, or leaky window or wind noise, the Silver is th e only RL that has none of these problems. i would go Silver

;) :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts