Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, So i need your honest opinion from people out there. I'm 26 single male. I was thinking of getting the rdigeline went to the dealer and BAM ! 28k for a new RT. I also went to different dealers and BAM a little bit too high for my budget. So I'm still thinking about a used ridgeline. I own a accord 4 cyl 99 rims19". Everybody wants a new car from the dealer with 0.0 miles. SO i keep thinking what about if i get a mustang 2014 for $22k and save a lot of gas while at it. 19/29 vs 17/21.i'm kind of sporty run, mountain bike pretty fit dude. But i can't make up my mind. new vs used and miles, mpg. !! If i do buy a ridgline i'm already thinking of lifting it because is too low and might even go hiking. if it floods i got 2 inches extra and maybe rims/tires. I do have a budget $350 per month max with $4k of downpayment. maybe 5 yrs that's my budget. What do ya'll think i need some help on making up my mind so far i'm a little more with the ridgeline but mpg is making me think. plus financing for ford is okay. and then again mustang anniversary 2014/2015 new mustang. Ford trucks suck..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I bought a used ridgeline 103k and I have put new spark plugs and many maintenance and more that needs to be done. I like it because its a good ride like a car compared to my dads Tundra. I got to say that the ridgeline does get attention while driving it, don't know if its a truck that people don't really see that much or it's because I'm 20. Gas could be better but the trunk is great no other truck has a trunk. Honda makes good reliable vehicles so you will love it

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hello and welcome to the ROC.

You are right to take fuel costs into account. That said, pretty much everything in your post drove me batty! I mean that in the nicest possible way. :) I just don't want to see you getting in over your head. From your writing, I can just about see you running down the street, waving sheaves of cash, begging for someone to tell you what to do with it. The dealers are looking at you with hungry predator eyes.

That's enough hyperbole. My responses to the details of your post:

1. Given that you let the dealers control the conversation, I think that you could use some skills with automobile shopping. Please check out http://beatthecarsalesman.com, especially the "Car Buyer's School" section.

2. I recommend narrowing down the class of vehicle that you want to target. The Mustang isn't going to take you to places that you seem to want to go, though it will fail to get you there with better fuel efficiency. If you want light off-roading with better fuel efficiency, you might want to look at small SUV's such as the CR-V or RAV4. Look at the Ridgeline if you need a pick-up truck and excellent all-around versatile vehicle. Look at the Tacoma or 4Runner if you want a more serious off-road vehicle. Look at any reliable car if you just need to fasten your bike to a rack and get to the trailhead via well-maintained road.

3. Your budget doesn't look like you are ready for something in the 20-30K price range. You should look at a used vehicle in the 10-15K price range, as long as it has good expectations (subscribe to Consumer Reports for this), has a good maintenance history and passes a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic whom you've paid to represent your interest. Spending less now will free up thousands of dollars to spend on future interests that I predict will crop up before you hit 30. Don't overcommit when you are young and the automobile market is moving so fast. You'll want something different sooner than you think. Besides, that first scratch or dent won't stress you out when it's used.

4. If you take a Ridgeline and change it with a lift and aftermarket tires, expect fuel efficiency to go down. Expect a 10-15% hit. You'll be changing airflow and rolling resistance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think you need to take your time, step back, and focus on what you need or want, be it a truck, sports car, or whatever. The RL is a nice, comfortable, versatile suburban utility truck that should handle most tasks in most weather conditions. I am satisfied with these capabilities. Before you pull the trigger, make sure it will fulfill your needs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
To add to the advice above (repeating some).

1. Set your budget. Regardless of what type/style of vehicle you want, determine what you can afford. Cost of maintenance, fuel and insurance should absolutely be factored into this number. You're 26. You don't want to be car poor. If you get in over your head, you'll be feeding the finance beast at the expense of going places, doing things, and generally enjoying your 20's.

2. Once you've determined your budget (and don't cheat to inflate it to fit what you want), determine what fits your lifestyle and needs. You describe either a Ridgeline or Mustang. Ummmm . . . . Each of these are at different ends of the spectrum. Figure out what you really want/need, completely exclusive of what your budget is, then begin shopping.

3. It sounds like you have been bitten by the new car bug. A car is only new once. It also becomes "used" VERY quickly. What I'm trying to tell you here is that that new car feeling is very fleeting and will be gone LONG before your monthly payments. New car smell is a seductive bitch. Don't be drawn in by her tantalizing scent. Today's used car isn't what it used to be, particularly within certain brands. That said, I'd be far more wary of purchasing a used Mustang from a 29 year old than I would a used RL from a 40 something year old. Chances are the latter had the discipline and resources to maintain and not rag it into the ground. Also, compare used history (i.e., Consumer Reports) across the various makers and models to determine which will provide you a long, reliable life. You have plenty of time to purchase a new car when you are in a position to really buy what you want with the features you desire. Don't be anxious to pay for the first 2 years of depreciation for someone else.

4. So, once you've determined 1 & 2 above, and surrendered to the fact that the best thing for you right now is to purchase used, go shopping. If it's for a Ridgeline, use the inspection/buying advice found here. Don't be anxious for the first thing that looks like a good deal. Read the various threads to see what some of the best used deals have been, then shoot for something in that range.

Like one of the previous posters replied, you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and the car dealership is a dangerous place for you to be hanging right now. Those guys are trained and skilled at separating you from your money to their benefit. They don't care about you or your needs, only how to get the largest margin they can, and they'll look to get you in ANYTHING they have to that end. Take a deep breath, rethink your strategy, make some decisions away from the car lot, then go shopping.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You sound very confused about what you want. Take the time alone or with a trusted family member or friend to decide before visiting dealerships. Sales people can smell doubt and use it to get you into the car or truck they want to sell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
And as they say sleep on it.. Never go into the dealer and buy the same day. Have a reasonable price set and then after going through the steps or whatever listed above ... Stick to ur price! They will try to sell u all kinda extra crap. Don't be fooled. That's like getting different flavors of airfresheners. You never will get your $ for the accessories. Look at the root or the car/truck itself. I had a 2 honda's .. Delsol, civic, then a Mercedes e430 and with the maintenance costs the oil change was 130$ and parts were ridiculous so I know it's a ridgeline, but ridgeline or Honda/Toyota/Acura are all made so that you can yourself do repairs. The "American built tough" cars are made with the consumer taking their cars to dealers... I had a olds alero an boy oh boy.. U have to take one thing off to get the the last bolt that u need to get to In order to replace the original broken part. I will always but reliable an well built cars that the repairs won't bleed me dry

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hello, So i need your honest opinion from people out there. I'm 26 single male. I was thinking of getting the rdigeline went to the dealer and BAM ! 28k for a new RT. I also went to different dealers and BAM a little bit too high for my budget. So I'm still thinking about a used ridgeline. I own a accord 4 cyl 99 rims19". Everybody wants a new car from the dealer with 0.0 miles. SO i keep thinking what about if i get a mustang 2014 for $22k and save a lot of gas while at it. 19/29 vs 17/21.i'm kind of sporty run, mountain bike pretty fit dude. But i can't make up my mind. new vs used and miles, mpg. !! If i do buy a ridgline i'm already thinking of lifting it because is too low and might even go hiking. if it floods i got 2 inches extra and maybe rims/tires. I do have a budget $350 per month max with $4k of downpayment. maybe 5 yrs that's my budget. What do ya'll think i need some help on making up my mind so far i'm a little more with the ridgeline but mpg is making me think. plus financing for ford is okay. and then again mustang anniversary 2014/2015 new mustang. Ford trucks suck..
Easy. Get the Mustang...except...get a used GT. Then go have some 26 yo single male fun. You'll still beat the Ridgeline mpg by 2 or 3.

(My fun car is an 07 Mustang GT convertible)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi, I'm 23 and I bought a new RL 2.5 years ago. Also, I do many of the same things as you.

Homes, you need to Slow Down - seriously. Your post is running 80 miles an hour and is barely legible as to what you want. Here are some recommendations from someone near your own age and lifestyle;

1) The RL is not a pimp mobile. A Ridgeline is a highly functional, reliable, and utilitarian truck for aging men and women. The girls at my college literally call my truck the "Purple Beaver". If that bothers you at all then you just need to jump the gun on the mustang.

2) Your activities lend themselves to the RL more than another vehicle. I can take my truck into any back woods state park in Texas or 60 miles down our coastline and know that rain or shine it will get me home. IMO Camping, mountain biking, hauling ATVs, ect is a pain in the bottom with a regular car or SUV. This is why I bought my RL. No other truck on the market will do those activities and get the mileage the RL has.

3) New or used any RL that has been taken care of as Honda dictates will last a very, very long time. 100K mile for a RL is just breaking in the drive train.

4) You need to figure out what you want. Once you do that or you have some specific questions about our RLs then please post them. The guys here love taking about their trucks like they are family pets. When you do, please slow your thought process down and use some structure to your post.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll make it easy for you

buy a used 07-08 RTL with around 60-70k miles for around $20k
ladies will like the heated leather seats
go enjoy the great outdoors
/End

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I wouldn't say the new Ford trucks suck at all.

If you want a Mustang get it now & enjoy it. Once you start a family it will be harder to have a mustang as a primary vehicle. When you get the Mustang paid for you can start shopping for your next vehicle & use your Stang as a play toy. Who knows what interest you will have by then.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd say get a Mustang, The v6 models put out the horse of an old GT. I'm speaking from regret. I should have bought a car like that when I was young, 2 kids later (and counting) I'll be lucky to buy a fun car in 20 years.

My dad (me 20years later) just picked up a 2011 V6 w/ 12k on it for 20,000, 300hp ain't too shabby for a v6. but in your price range I'd look for a 09-11 GT

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Based on what you've indicated, my suggestion would be to keep driving your current car. If you want change, paint it and install a new interior.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
I bought my truck three years ago to the day. I was 27, but in a different position than you. I drove a 99 Grand Am GT for many years. When I was in college, I did a good bit of performance and aesthetic upgrades to it as well as audio and wheels. It was a quick car that I really liked. It was definitely a single guy's vehicle. However, I got married when I was 24, got a cat and a dog and my priorities changed. I wanted a comfortable vehicle with which I could haul family, friends and animals and one that would also give me great reliability and the ability to do my many weekend warrior projects. The RL fit the bill perfectly.

I knew I couldn't afford a new one and I knew I wanted the RTL, so I started looking. None at the time were anywhere near my price range until I found mine on Craigslist. It's a risky proposition, but the truck was adult-owned in Florida and the gentleman who owned it had passed away. His nephew brought the truck to PA where he was selling it for the family. It was very well maintained and not abused in the least. It had 74,532 miles on it and I was able to purchase it for $16,000 plus tax and fees. I financed just under $17k and my payment at 4.5% for 60 months is $320 a month. I've made bigger payments than the minimum and nearly have it paid off. It now has 128,460 miles and has been great for me.

The bottom line is that to get a $350 payment at 60 months (assuming good credit), you won't be able to finance anything over $18,500 or $19k. I would highly suggest not using ALL of that $4000 you have as a down payment. Hold onto half of it as a maintenance fund and use the other half to pay for your taxes and fees in cash. As long as your current car is in decent running condition, you should be able to get $2-3k from it as a trade-in. You should be able to find a decent 07-08 RTL with 60k miles or so for about $20k. Bolster your negotiation skills and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if you can't make the numbers work. Don't stretch your budget. The last thing you want is to not be able to afford other things because you have such a big car payment.

Being that you're 26 and single, you never know when your situation will change. You could meet the girl of your dreams and be married by the time you're 28. You could have kids by the time you're 30. And if you buy a Mustang, you'll be stuck with a vehicle that doesn't work with that scenario. If you get a good, pre-owned RL, it will allow you to grow into it. Even then, the RL vastly meets your active lifestyle needs better than a Mustang. I highly doubt you'll have to lift the RL. Ground clearance is enough for mild off-roading and it does hurt gas mileage. Just keep a good set of A/T tires on it and you'll be able to go anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to the ROC.

I just don't want to see you getting in over your head. From your writing, I can just about see you running down the street, waving sheaves of cash, begging for someone to tell you what to do with it. The dealers are looking at you with hungry predator eyes.

That's enough hyperbole. My responses to the details of your post:

Good luck.
You took it a little bit over the top. Honestly mann, i look at this as a investment. I do take peoples opinions, I did took your 2nd responce in consideration. Also I checked in 3/4 different dealers and saw the price difference been doing shopping for prices and checking budget, also i know how much is for the insurance. There is a difference when a smart buyer trys to get a new vehicle. The budget that i mention is my medium budget, i can go a few K' more but I really gotta think about it REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. Also i checked resale value KBB for ridgeline and mustang, i was a little amaze not by much, but there is a difference of wat i thought.

Hi, I'm 23 and I bought a new RL 2.5 years ago.
1) The RL is not a pimp mobile. A Ridgeline is a highly functional, reliable, and utilitarian truck for aging men and women. The girls at my college literally call my truck the "Purple Beaver". If that bothers you at all then you just need to jump the gun on the mustang.

2) Your activities lend themselves to the RL more than another vehicle. I can take my truck into any back woods state park in Texas or 60 miles down our coastline and know that rain or shine it will get me home. IMO Camping, mountain biking, hauling ATVs, ect is a pain in the bottom with a regular car or SUV. This is why I bought my RL. No other truck on the market will do those activities and get the mileage the RL has.
This is awesome "Purple Beaver" jaja my first post it was just a thought to see what people think of the ridgelines, your description is cool. Thanks man. That was helpful. I been thinking of buying a USED RIDGELINE 2010/2011 30k-45k kind of my budget.

JUST F>Y>I> I will keep driving my v4 accord I'm more for the ridgeline because of outdoor activities. I will keep thinking about it, it's always important to get feedback from people that own a vehicle that you want to buy. sry for da type OS...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Get a '07 Ridgeline and lift it. Mine's for sale! :act029:

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you're considering both the RL and a mustang then you definitely do not *need* a RL. That said a RL will give you a lot more bang for your buck over the next decade or so of ownership.

Something you could consider (wish I had when I was younger) would be to get a sedan and put a hitch on it (sorry, really won't work at all with a mustang). With a decent trailer you can haul crap all over the place - not necessarily in uber hard to get to places - but you can still get approximate truck functionality when you need it and save big $$$ on gas and such the rest of the time.

Same thing goes for any of the crossovers/SUVs out there. Don't forget about the added functionality a hitch can give you for hauling stuff all over the place.

Ridgelines are still awesome though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trust me a vehicle isnt an investment. You will lose money on anything you buy.... especially new. At 26, I bought a new vehicle and sold it 3 years later for a loss. It was fun, but not worth it.

Best advice I can give you is take that money and pay off any debt you have and then bank the rest. If you got a car thats paid off and runs - drive it till it dies.

That money you will save in no car payment and having no debt will make your life so much more enjoyable.

Save up for a good down payment on a house, less stress and knowing you got enough in the bank to keep you afloat if you lose your job.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So your budget just changed from 22k to 45k? Personally I feel you can only afford a car that you can buy with cash. For example if you have $15k in the bank then you shouldn't buy a car that's more than $15k. That's not to say you should buy a car with all of your cash. You can put down $5k and take out a $10k loan so you still have $10k in the bank as an emergency fund.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts