Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I bought a Amazon Green RTL w/moonroof a week or so ago and hit a hail storm in Amarillo, TX.

I got a estimate on "fixing" the hail damage which was $8,500. With that quote was the "removal of the roof panel and replacement" because there were so many dents on it.

I of course wanted a new truck - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN - but am getting a little bit of a run around from State Farm.

One of the MAJOR reasons I bought this truck was because of the 5 star crash worthiness. My attorney says that if Honda says that if the roof panel is removed it could hurt the crash rating, I might be entitled to a new truck because of that. I AM NOT TRYING TO SCREW THE INSURANCE COMPANY. I have been with them for 16 years with one claim 16 years ago when I hit a deer.

QUESTION: How do I go about finding out from Honda if a body shop removes the roof panel and welds in a new one, if that would affect the crash worthiness of the vehicle. I have to tell you, I have absolutely no idea as to where to even start researching this.

PLEASE HELP. WHERE DO I GO AND WHO DO I SEE?

Anyone know?

Thank you all.

L

·
0 Posts
I can call in the morning to Honda Corp./my Honda Rep. and ask that question for you unless the Kid knows what to do. Compromising the integrity of your vehicle is a serious issue. My work email is [email protected] if you want to email this post to me and I'll get to it first thing in the a.m. I hope I can help.
J.C. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't know how much this information might help, but here it goes...Have the 2006 Honda Ridgeline Body Repair Manual at my disposal and it does show the proceedure on the proper way to replace the roof panel so I figure Honda knows what it is doing...Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ladyridge - I would appreciate any help and CERTAINLY would appreciate your help. Thank you. My email is [email protected] if you want to post me there or post here for all the group to see.

The repair may be fine but I can't help but think not - so would like Honda's take!

L

·
0 Posts
Nick's body repair manual is a good one. I will contact Honda and verify the validity of the repair per the manual and integrity issue. You'll be hearing from me.
Glad to help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Isnt Insurance wonderfull, If they pay your claim which they should then
they will raise your rates and or cancell you.

Only in Texas do we get this royal treatment from State Farm.

I have a Home , 2 auto, boat, personal article policy with them and I have
seen it all over the years. In California they set limits as to what the Insurance companys can get by with, thats why their homeowners rates are like 20 % of ours.

Sorry to hear about your damage. One thing I do is keep an Old U Haul blanket in the trunk and you can use it along with the floor mats to deflect some hail but when it really big like that I dont know what would of helped.

There is one shop in Dallas that does excellent repair work its over off Midway and they use factory parts only. If you need the name and number send me a message and I will get it for you. I would fight for the correct repair if I were you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ridgeman, my Ridgeline was struck by a semi-truck in the left rear quarter panel last Tuesday (June 14th) and if one takes the time you can see that each side goes from the firewall, over the roof, around both doors and to the rear tailgate...all in one piece other then the doors. To do this repair, the rear quarter panel is to be cut about head height on the rear door and on the step plate and replaced with a "new" quarter panel. Believe me, I too am worried how this is going to effect the uni-body but no way will the insurance company replace my vehicle. Honda offers the rear quater panel for a cost of $695.00 so they must be comfortable with this kind of repair...time will tell! Now it's up to the body shop...

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
ridgeman said:
I got a estimate on "fixing" the hail damage which was $8,500. With that quote was the "removal of the roof panel and replacement" because there were so many dents on it.
Have you gone to the dealer with the truck and the $8500 check and asked them to trade? What did they say? How much difference did they want?

I'm thinking a resourseful dealer could do a couple of thousand bucks in paintless dent repair and make some money on the vehicle, but then again I haven't seen it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts