Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my knee when I enter. I noticed that I would find myself driving around with my parking lights on (thank god for the "lights on" dinger). Wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Kind of strange location for lights. I am about 6' and the seat only goes back so far.

Total miles 450, 24 mpg and 18 mpg on first two fill ups! :)

Cal

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: I occ***ionally turn my lights on with...

Yes! I'm glad to hear someone else has that problem too! Seems kinda' silly to me to be puttin a light switch protruding somewhere in a truck that's supposed to be big and roomy! I've hit it so hard that I wondered if I broke it off...I'm just learning to take my time getting in and out. As far as MPG goes, I've got 22 consistantly if I keep it under 60. Worst tank I've had was 18 so far.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

I did that once, but I was doing something else in the truck at the time, not just getting in, so I was sitting at an odd angle and hit it with my knee. The door was open at the time, so it started dinging immediately.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Same here. Also I seem to hit the Cruise control and/or VSA button on occasion when I release the emergency brake. Still haven't gotten over the impulse to "pump" the emer. brake to release, as with the RX-300. Humans, gotta love 'em!

·
Registered
363 Posts

At least they moved the windshield wiper stalk on the Ridgeline. My parents have a Pilot, and they ALWAYS accidentally hit the wiper stalk when they go to shift the Pilot into gear. It really drives them nuts.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

cal said:
my knee when I enter. I noticed that I would find myself driving around with my parking lights on (thank god for the "lights on" dinger). Wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Kind of strange location for lights. I am about 6' and the seat only goes back so far.

Cal
I AM ALSO 6' AND WHEN I FIRST GOT THE TRUCK, I WOULD BRUSH UP AGAINST THE SWITCH AND TURN THEM ON. I FIND IF THE SEAT IS ALL THE WAY BACK WHEN I ENTER THE TRUCK, I HAVE NOT HAD THE PROBLEM SINCE.

ONCE YOU ARE AWARE OF IT, YOU WILL END UP AVOIDING THE PROBLEM, ITS LIKE YOUR KNEE CAP, KNOWS NOT TO GO THERE!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I was wondering how they got turned on the other day:eek: Thanks Yes TG there is a warning bell. I think there is a auto shut off after a few minutes too?:confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts

I hit the VSA and cruise several times but never the lights. Getting into the truck seems to be an odd angle for me - I have had very small cars that I "fell into" but now I slide into the Ridgeline even with the seat. Took some getting used to but the location of the lights seems an unusal spot to me.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I'm 6'1" and I have never hit the light switch, cruise, or the vsa. What does happen is the side of my left foot always hits the plastic on the left front of the seat. It hits it on the outside while getting in, and hits it on the inside while getting out. I hate it cause I find the plastic is starting to get a little scuffed.

I have the drivers seat all the way back, and mostly elevated with the back almost straight up.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts

cal said:

Cal
My only complains after 6 months are the light switch location, door head clearance (I am less than 6' and still bump my head on entry), and bed finish. Good report on the MPG, keep it up.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

With any new vehicle, a new entrance/exit strategy into the drivers compartment should be planned. Every car and truck has different heights, widths, knobs, buttons, protrusions, seat location, etc. When I got my truck back in July, I took a few minutes out in the driveway to familiarize and experiment on getting into and out of my truck. I'm 6'4 @250 lbs. Unfortunately, I can break or bend stuff pretty easy if I'm not careful. ( F=ma or 250 lbs moving at speed into a small knob = broke knob!) I "practiced" for a few minutes a motion, while comfortable and unhurried, that could get me in and out of my truck without hitting and hurting something. Needless to say that few minutes of repetition getting into and out of my truck has resulted in me not hitting my VSA, Cruise, Lights, signal lever or anything else. Try it if you have problems. It soon becomes second nature. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts

cal said:

Cal
Training! cal, After bashing my knee a couple of times I too have "learned" how to climb aboard without any mishaps.:p

·
Registered
803 Posts

That's okay...I occasionally forget that there is only one 's' in occasionally and get asteriked out for trying to write a**.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

I hate being made an a** when I misspell words. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts

I haven't bumped the headlight switch yet....but every now and then I do still turn on the winshield wipers instead of my headlights :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

hiPSI said:
With any new vehicle, a new entrance/exit strategy into the drivers compartment should be planned. Every car and truck has different heights, widths, knobs, buttons, protrusions, seat location, etc. When I got my truck back in July, I took a few minutes out in the driveway to familiarize and experiment on getting into and out of my truck. I'm 6'4 @250 lbs. Unfortunately, I can break or bend stuff pretty easy if I'm not careful. ( F=ma or 250 lbs moving at speed into a small knob = broke knob!) I "practiced" for a few minutes a motion, while comfortable and unhurried, that could get me in and out of my truck without hitting and hurting something. Needless to say that few minutes of repetition getting into and out of my truck has resulted in me not hitting my VSA, Cruise, Lights, signal lever or anything else. Try it if you have problems. It soon becomes second nature. Hope this helps.
In traffic safety school we had drivers get in and out of the car putting on their seatbelt each time for a total of 10 times. Better than 50% learned the habit and now wear their seatbelt all the time. Most drivers will admit it is out of habit they wear / don't wear their seatbelt.
So the habit principle will work. Thanks PSI

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hit the lights-on switch with my knee today for the first time. I'll have to be more aware when I am launching myself into the cab.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
cal said:

Cal
I think all us 6 footers have. I have it down to a technique that when I enter the truck, I don't hit the switch or bang my knees! Just takes a little practice ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Watch out for parking brake too with snow boots...

Though I haven't hit the lights, cruise, or VSA, I have unknowingly engaged the parking brake while wearing my Sorrels (that's snow boots for y'all down south...) :). While the warning lights and beeps will remind you, just be careful.

- theGhost

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a pretty new Ridgeline owner (1/31). I see that what I've encountered quite frequently has already been an issue with other owners. I'm 6'2'' and I hit it alot on exiting the vehicle. I hit it so hard, I thought I broke it as well. With the size of the vehicle, you'd think some other real estate on the dash would have suited the lights on/off switch better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts