Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

I ordered a Tesla Model Y

48594 Views 1433 Replies 83 Participants Last post by  Cbayman
Two weeks ago, I had no exit strategy for either my '21 Ridgeline or '19 Miata. The Miata will probably be with me for a long time and I planned to keep the Ridgeline until the third generation went on sale.

Then, I read about Tesla dropping the price on the Model Y by 20% on the 13th and it qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit. Knowing that my brother-in-law planned to buy a Model Y in the future, I let him know that now might be a good time and he placed an order on January 15th.

I was tempted, but I hovered over the "place order" button for several days before finally clicking it on January 20th.

My original estimated delivery date was "Jan - Mar 2023". This was unnerving because the $7,500 tax credit is only guaranteed until March 1st at which time is may be reduced to $3,750.

The Model Y currently qualifies for the full $7,500 credit because it is made in the US. The Panasonic 2170 cells it uses are also made in the US. What might prevent it from qualifying for the full $7,500 credit as soon as March 1st is if less than 40% of the critical minerals used in those cells are sourced outside the US or a free trade partner. In this case, the credit will drop to $3,750. There is also a possibility that details will be delayed and the full credit will remain in effect.

This evening, the estimated delivery date was updated to "March 3 - March 31" making this even more suspenseful. Since the vehicle is unlikely to arrive before the March 1st, it may or may not qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit.

While the 20% price drop alone may be enough to encourage some buyers to order one, it was the price drop and the $7,500 tax credit that prompted to do so. Without the full credit, I'm less interested in taking delivery. If I don't, the most I'm out is a $250 nonrefundable order fee.

If I end up with the Model Y, I'll likely sell my Ridgeline since I only have space for two vehicles in my garage.

To be continued... :)
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1341 - 1360 of 1434 Posts
Maybe we'll eventually get "low/no emission" tires that will last longer and be biodegradable. :)
Hovercraft use very little power. They do have a steep learning curve, though, especially for high traffic areas. :oops:

They need tethers or bumpers or something....
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Yes and yes. As far as maintenance goes, I believe it is a filter or two, a 12v battery, brakes/fluid, and tire rotations. My stepdad's Tesla Model S just turned 10 years old and the battery degredation is at 4%. He has something like 40k miles on it, so not a ton. With that said, he has never changed the brakes and only had to do tires once and the 12v battery once. And that time, it was less than $200 and a service tech came to their house (car parked in driveway) and swapped the battery out while he was working.

It is A LOT cheaper to maintain a Tesla when looking at routine maintenance.
that is well and good, but most of us have to drive our vehicles so that really means nothing to us.
that is well and good, but most of us have to drive our vehicles so that really means nothing to us.
I am not sure I understand what you mean. Driving an ICE vehicle vs an EV, the EV will always win on lower cost maintenance, regardless of miles driven.
I am not sure I understand what you mean. Driving an ICE vehicle vs an EV, the EV will always win on lower cost maintenance, regardless of miles driven.
time will tell, but I will wave at you when your charge runs out, try to ease off the road for us :)
time will tell, but I will wave at you when your charge runs out, try to ease off the road for us :)
The question I answered was about maintenance for an EV. I don't even have an EV, but you can't deny that maintenance is cheaper on an EV.
A friend of mine has had a Mustang Mach E for two years that he regularly drives between Houston, Dallas, and Tyler Texas. Despite living in an apartment where he can't charge the vehicle and having far less access to fast charging compared to Teslas, he's somehow managed to not run out of charge yet.

If you run out of charge in a Tesla, in particular, it's almost certainly your fault because the vehicle will guide you to the nearest Supercharger along your route well before the battery runs down and also shows you the cost and how many stations are available before you get there.

The number of gas stations is excessive. Even in the tiny, rural town that I live in there are 13 gas stations within a 5-mile radius of my home. There are dozens if not a hundred or more gas stations within a 5-mile radius of the nearest city large enough to have a Walmart Supercenter. Aside from the pumps at Sam's Club or at travel centers near major highways, most of them sit idle most of the time.
Ford and Tesla have reached an agreement to open all Ford vehicles to Tesla Superchargers next Spring.

Also, Ford will be adopting Tesla's charging port design on future vehicles.

This could lead to all EVs eventually using Tesla's charging port design.

• Love
Reactions: 5
Will we soon see odd/even license plate number days for recharging like the gas lines of the 70’s ?
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: 2
I don't know if we'll ever have nearly as many public EV fast charging stations as we do gas pumps - primarily where most EV charging is done at home so far fewer will be needed. On the other hand, EV chargers and their installation are much cheaper than gas pumps and underground storage tanks and over an order of magnitude more profitable.

There's a new Red E fast charging station in my area that charges 45¢/kWh. The electricity for it costs 10¢/kWh. That's a 350% markup compared to gasoline which has about a 5% retail markup.
Reactions: 4
Elon better stick to building cars and stay off Twitter. He is mucking up his platform with self-inflicted wounds.
  • Haha
Ford and Tesla have reached an agreement to open all Ford vehicles to Tesla Superchargers next Spring.

Also, Ford will be adopting Tesla's charging port design on future vehicles.

This could lead to all EVs eventually using Tesla's charging port design.

How much extra will Tesla be charging those Ford EV owners for electricity over their Tesla counterparts?
Elon better stick to building cars and stay off Twitter. He is mucking up his platform with self-inflicted wounds.
That's ok. I'd rather hear him speak his mind than the mindless blather that comes out of a typical politician's mouth.
  • Love
Reactions: 2
That's ok. I'd rather hear him speak his mind than the mindless blather that comes out of a typical politician's mouth.
I was not speaking of his politics at all, but rather his lack of refinement when trying to moderate a broadcast on Twitter. Better left to the professionals.
My thought is that usually it’s better to be thought an idiot than to post tweets and remove all doubt.

Given the amount of intellectual bandwidth Elon is devoting to Twitter, apparently sleeping in the HQ, he can’t be devoting more than 5% of his energy to either Tesla or Space X. That’s probably a good thing. Mature companies often do better without an eccentric founder micromanaging everything.
...he can’t be devoting more than 5% of his energy to either Tesla or Space X.
I think he agrees and that is one reason he chose a new CEO. I'd guess another reason is that running a social media platform is not his idea of fun - I think he did it because he thought it was necessary...or maybe it was a joke that went too far and he got stuck with it. :)
This guy is a bit of a curmudgeon but pretty funny. His experience with FSD:
(Caution - the language is bit rough)
I love watching Bill's videos - been watching them for years. ;)
He sounds like a complete asshole to me. Is he in his 80s or 90s?
  • Haha
I wonder when the power company's will get on the cash train, At some point they will raise the price of their electricity to match the ridiculous price of fuel, why not, going to be used to propel vehicles, then we are not going to be able to afford it for our homes, double edged sword.
1341 - 1360 of 1434 Posts