Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This week, I negotiated the purchase of a new 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T from a new Honda dealer about an hour away from me. Yesterday evening, I picked it up. The first sign of trouble was when the stock number didn't match the one I specified in my email. This dealer had two of the same trim and color. I had specified that I did not want the windows tinted. When they went to pull the vehicle out of inventory, they found the one I selected had the windows tinted already and pulled the older one that did not have tinted windows instead without asking or notifying me. I should have aborted the transaction right then, but the exterior and interior of the car looked fine so I proceeded.

The next sign of trouble was when I noticed the car had over 100 miles on the odometer. Naturally, I was assured this was from test drives and had no way of proving otherwise. Since I would have put more miles on the vehicle than that within 48 hours, I continued on with the transaction.

This particular dealership was celebrating their grand opening with a live band, catered food, and spirits for a couple hundred people - mostly friends and family of employees, existing customers, and a few stragglers. I had already planned to attend and meet up with one of their guests. Throughout the evening, I enjoyed socializing and the festivities. At one point, I was engaged in a conversation about a couple of hail storms that came through the area over the last month and shown pictures of how the dealership was able to save many vehicles by packing their shop and showroom (including offices and cubicles!) with as many as would fit. As the evening came to a close, it was time to say my thanks and goodbyes and head home in my new Accord.

Before I left the parking lot, an "Antenna Shorted" error message appeared when I tried to listen to SiriusXM. All the technicians had long since left for the day, but the president of the dealership called his lead tech at home for assistance. The lead tech suggested a reset, which was unsuccessful, before determining that the antenna needed to be replaced. I pondered how a non-functioning SiriusXM could have slid past the factory, pre-delivery, and final delivery inspections.

Nothing more could be done at that time, so I decided to listen to music and use navigation on my iPhone through CarPlay on the way home. Every 15 minutes or so, the CarPlay connection would fail and I'd have to physically disconnect and reconnect my iPhone - something that never happened on my Ridgeline or Civic. Closer to home, I received a low tire pressure warning, but none of the tires felt dangerously low, so I continued home. I checked and slightly adjusted the tire pressures and reset the TPMS. Though it was late, I decided to pop the hood to double-check fluid levels and familiarize myself with my newest Honda.

After I raised the hood, my eyes popped out and my jaw hit the floor. Two of the clips that held the hood insulator were missing and almost every hole on the underside of the hood was deformed and scratched. Pulling the insulator away revealed scratches on the inside of the aluminum hood. The gasket around the left rear door near the headliner was pinched hinting that it had been removed and reinstalled. There were tiny fragments of glass on top of the dash. I was instantly overcome with nausea, anger, sadness, and frustration and I realized I had just bought...a severely hail-damaged vehicle that had been haphazardly repaired. All I wanted to do was assume the fetal position on the hard concrete floor of my garage and cry.

At this point, I was up almost four hours beyond my normal bedtime with no sign of winding down and recharging for the following work day, which was just hours away. I sat down and wrote a lengthy email and sent photos to the president of the dealership along with my findings and conclusions. I woke up this morning to a reply of apology, an offer to reverse the transaction, and reimbursement for my expenses.

I'll be returning the car after work today.

Let this serve as a reminder (to myself and others) to make DAMN sure you're getting what you think you're getting and take as much time as necessary to crawl in, on, through, around, and under, every vehicle you buy to look for even the slightest hint of anything out of the ordinary and TRUST NO ONE. Fortunately, this is going to end on a neutral note for me, but it could have turned out much, much worse.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I had a co-worker that bought a new Civic Si from a local dealer a few years back with a similar situation. They would have gotten away with selling a lot/shipping damaged vehicle. Had he not hit a deer the first week he owned it and needed the bumper replaced. The third party repair shop told him that there had been previous repairs done to his "brand new" vehicle. Sad the shyte that dealerships try to pull off.

****ty that you had to go through this. Glad you found out before it was too late.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,874 Posts
This, and the every resounding cry we hear from folks who go to dealerships does not give one the confidence with dealerships at all. However, they are the only means to get a vehicle. My leased '16 civic has misaligned rear bumper and the hood gap is very prominant on the passenger side, but not on the driver side.

It is awful you had to go through it and glad you took the time to open and inspect. Need to check on the ownership of the dealership and the 'grand opening' was under a new name/ownership or just a remolding.
As a customer going through this ordeal, what is our recourse besides legal action? No one is going to compensate you for the hassle (research, deposits, bank withdrawals, dealership trips, etc etc) you had to go through in getting this car.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Zroger - Does Texas have a 72hr return policy on cars ? Did you have to ask for it or did the dealership just agree to the whole returning transaction with no expense to you. (hope they held the check as well and your trade in for you (title etc..)

Steve sorry to hear of your troubles! I've always said that buying a new car is about the same as buying a used car. You take risks on both purchases.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,802 Posts
Sorry for your time and effort buddy. Better luck next time.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zroger - Does Texas have a 72hr return policy on cars ? Did you have to ask for it or did the dealership just agree to the whole returning transaction with no expense to you. (hope they held the check as well and your trade in for you (title etc..)

Steve sorry to hear of your troubles! I've always said that buying a new car is about the same as buying a used car. You take risks on both purchases.
No, there is no "right of rescission" for automobile purchases in Texas (or Louisiana where I purchased the car). There's also no requirement to disclose the damage since the repairs likely did not exceed 6% of the vehicle's MSRP. In short, the dealership could have legally told me to go pound sand when I asked for the deal to be unwound, but they obliged my request.

This afternoon, I returned the Accord and picked up my Civic Si, which was waiting for me in the delivery area just as I left it yesterday except with new oil and filter and rotated tires at no cost (A1 popped up on my way to the dealer yesterday). No additional miles were put on the car. I got my keys and title back and watched the paperwork being shredded. The Civic Si and I are now back at home where we belong.

If there's any positive outcome, it's that I'll bet I can name my price on any future Honda purchase from them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow, quite a (sad) story. At least they made it as "right" as possible to you.

Will you give the Accord another chance?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
So Civic is leaving, and for now, no Accord to join the household

And yet they wonder why people don’t trust them. Most likely the return was so easy because it took some shady mathematical calculations to get the repairs below 6% of MSRP, by using dealer cost for the parts, and not allowing those who worked on it not enough time to throughly and correctly repair it. i.e. that hood should have been replaced, door replaced...

Personally this dealership would have to notify me of a vehicles arrival and I would need to be there as it came off the transport, to even begin to consider another deal with them.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sorry you had to deal with this but great news that the dealer made you whole. Hope all goes well next time around. Lesson learned, I just thought new cars were "units" and other than picking a color I would jinx myself by picking the actual car.

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
Wow, Zroger that is so sad. Purchasing a new car can be such an exhilarating experience, yet at the same time it can also be exhausting and disappointing.

I am thankful the dealer came around to your way of thinking and unwound the deal without a huge ordeal.

Hopefully you will get a new Accord Sport in your driveway in the near future. Sorry to hear about the misfortune involving the Civic SI earlier.

Thank you for alerting all of us to the need of being ever so careful and diligent when purchasing a vehicle from anyone, including a new car dealer.

Reactions: Heli ATP

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Zroger. Good to hear it all worked out. They are a better dealer than someone who might have told you to pound salt and then you'd have been stuck with a car you didn't want for years.

Still interested in a car ? Go check out the Kia Niro that I had for a rental in Orlando. It's a really nice Hybrid car with a sport mode that is just plain fun compared to any regular Hybrid! I drove it for a day and put some 69 miles on it. Couldn't put more than 1.1 gallons of gas in it taking back to Hertz.

Steve

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zroger. Good to hear it all worked out. They are a better dealer than someone who might have told you to pound salt and then you'd have been stuck with a car you didn't want for years.

Still interested in a car ? Go check out the Kia Niro that I had for a rental in Orlando. It's a really nice Hybrid car with a sport mode that is just plain fun compared to any regular Hybrid! I drove it for a day and put some 69 miles on it. Couldn't put more than 1.1 gallons of gas in it taking back to Hertz.

Steve
Yes - the outcome of this ordeal could have been much worse (for me and for them). I'm refraining from mentioning the dealer at this point, but I did notice that the same car has been re-listed in inventory for MSRP as a new vehicle (even though it now has over 300 miles on it, was hail damaged, damaged again from the hail damage repair, and the satellite radio antenna is/was shorted). I truly hope this is the result of an automated listing and they're not going to try and pawn that car off on another unsuspecting buyer after what we went through.

I drove the Kia Niro a few weeks ago. It was not only impressive for a Kia, but impressive for a hybrid in general. It's definitely worth checking out for someone in the market for a vehicle in that category. The Kia Stinger was impressive as well. If you removed the badges, it could easily be mistaken for a vehicle costing twice as much. Honda remains my go-to brand and the only other Honda I'm currently interested in buying for myself at the moment is the Accord Sport 2.0T. I'll keep looking. We're only a few months away from the 2019 Civic refresh that I expect may add Honda Sensing as standard, the return of a volume knob, and perhaps tweaks to the fascia(s) and wheels. I might consider an updated Civic Si if I don't buy another Accord Sport 2.0T.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Back in the day I used to buy our project vehicles for our development company. I would fax all of the dealers in the area with the specs and suggest if they were interested fax me back a proposal with an out the door price.

On one occasion the deal was made over the phone so I drove down to the dealership with another body to drive it back. As requested the vehicle was waiting outside and the salesman was waiting for us inside with the paperwork for us to sign. I started going over the figures and there was an amout of around $600 for vehicle repairs. I asked him what the heck that was. He said when they unloaded the truck it got dented and they had to repair it (I had negotiated a price in relationship to dealer cost). With a straight face he told me that was a part of vehicle cost. I just stood up and walked out the door. Needless to say that dealership was removed from the bid list.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Zroger, really happy things worked out. Sounds like the president had no idea of the crappy work that was done and wanted to do the right thing.
Georgia also has no "right of rescission". I owned a Tocoma for less than 24 hours and found a damaged bumper cover. The sales manager wanted to repair it and would not replace it. He also asked 2 or 3 times "did you hit anything on the way home?". For me I was lucky that I had written them a check the day before for $40k. I gave them the keys and paper work and called the credit union while in the show room and stopped payment on the check. They found my check later, wrote VOID on it and mailed it to me.
A second sale manager called a few hours later, after my sanity had returned, and said that part of the bumper is pre-painted and they stock all the colors because the shop has to remove it for some repairs. So replacing it would have been easy.
I have a RL now and it is a truly better truck.

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Now that I've had a few days to recover, I've decided that I still want to trade my Civic for an Accord, so I've started the shopping process over again. It's VERY hard to find one that hasn't had the windows tinted already. One of my requirements is non-tinted windows since I use a specific tint from a local tint shop.

I gave them the keys and paper work and called the credit union while in the show room and stopped payment on the check. They found my check later, wrote VOID on it and mailed it to me.
You were awfully brave to have stopped payment on a check for a vehicle purchase - that could have easily turned into grand theft if they refused to unwind the deal! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm happy you were able to discover this so quickly. A week or two later and they may have had a different attitude. But- as much as I've appreciated all your help and comments on this forum, I question and ask why your reluctant to expose this dealer. You even suspect they may try and resell this same vehicle again! And even if they don't, shady management and and customer service starts at the top and the owner isn't going to change his ways. If they sell a car in this condition, I would only suspect their service department would continue fuel nearly all service departments reputations and take all those shortcuts we all fear. Again, good for you and your attention to the situation.

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a day of shopping, I made the trade last night with a closer dealer at a lower price. Unlike the first Accord, this one was fresh off the truck with only 5 miles on the odometer and had no signs of damage or repair. I inspected the car thoroughly in a relaxed setting and could find no defects. I left the dealer feeling confident in the vehicle and pleased with the transaction. Interestingly, this was the same dealer who refused to take less than $10K difference OTD (including TT&L) about two weeks ago on the last day of April. Yesterday, they were happy to take $8K. I'm not sure what changed their minds unless they had plenty of April sales, but are running behind for May. There are no new incentives that I can find.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
After a day of shopping, I made the trade last night with a closer dealer at a lower price. Unlike the first Accord, this one was fresh off the truck with only 5 miles on the odometer and had no signs of damage or repair. I inspected the car thoroughly in a relaxed setting and could find no defects. I left the dealer feeling confident in the vehicle and pleased with the transaction. Interestingly, this was the same dealer who refused to take less than $10K difference OTD (including TT&L) about two weeks ago on the last day of April. Yesterday, they were happy to take $8K. I'm not sure what changed their minds unless they had plenty of April sales, but are running behind for May. There are no new incentives that I can find.
Nice looking car! I like the white. Does the Sport have a manual transmission? The excess inventory on the dealer lots, you mentioned a few weeks ago, provided the "incentive" for the dealer to work with you!!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
Expecting Full Review, with Detailed Discussion and Link to the Correct Accord Forum, ASAP! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts