Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Here's how I fixed the subwoofer rattle in my '17 Civic Si.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's how I fixed the subwoofer rattle in my '17 Civic Si.

I have a 17 Si with a deposit on a 21 RTL-E, how do you like the ridgeline? I’m not too thrilled about loosing the manual but was hoping for less rattles then the civic (from what I read I’m a little concerned this not to be the case), less road noise, as well as better (reliable) AC. I know that a forum is where people go to complain, I’m part of the civic group as well, but this seems to be much smaller so harder to gauge scale of issues.

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
You'll find me on CivicX.com as well (same user name).

I owned a 2017 Civic Si and 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E at the same time. The Civic was my daily driver and I used the Ridgeline for weekend shopping trips. The Ridgeline felt lethargic and gargantuan compared to the Civic, but it was quieter and more comfortable and relaxed. The Ridgeline had A/C problems, too, but appears limited to 2017-2019 models. The Civic I had was one of the most rattle-free automobiles I've owned. Expect some annoying noises in the Ridgeline.

A Ridgeline and Civic are near polar opposites, but I assume (hope) you've driven a Ridgeline and are okay with it.

If you don't need a truck, you might be better off keeping your Canadian-built Civic Si. If you do need the utility of a vehicle with an open bed, but want to retain as much of a car-like ride and handling as possible, the Ridgeline is your choice. It's no sports car, though - it's not even a sporty car. It's far too heavy and floaty to be labeled as such and the slow steering wheel feels like it never stops turning compared to the quick steering of the Civic Si.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was 'lucky' enough to have gotten one of the first 2021 Ridgelines (my VIN ends with 000XX). When buying it, I wanted the touring trim (Canadian version of the RTL-E) but in order to get one of the first ones I had to step up to the Black Edition as a local dealership was getting one allocated. The day I got the call that the RL was in, which was actually a few days before the official release date, I was excited to go pick up my first Honda, which was to replace my GMC Canyon that had over 275,000km on the odometer.

Well, I am now about 2 months into ownership with about 3,000 miles of mostly highway driving and it has made me far less excited to own my first RL.
  1. The front windshield came with a defect - the dealership has ordered me a new windshield and it is being covered under warranty, but there is no indication as to how many more months it will be before a windshield can be obtained (they are currently unavailable to order).
  2. My hood had a large amount of body panel adhesive that was left on the bottom edge prior to being painted. The paint then eventually popped off. This was on the bottom edge of the hood, very visible from the driver's seat. My RL was sent to a local body shop that 'fixed' the damage, but there is still a visible spot where the paint has a bulge in it as the body shop didn't do the best job.
  3. The rear seat mechanism on the passenger side does not function properly - I was told it does and that it is intentionally 'stiff' from the factory as the seat is lighter on that side and they don't want it accidentally coming up. I call BS on that explanation; it just doesn't work properly
  4. There was a section of the front bumper where the paint had a big defect (the clear coat didn't seem to cure properly). This was fixed by the body shop when they took care of #2.
  5. Every little pebble that hits the windshield seems to leave a permanent mark. I've been told that the acoustic glass may be much more prone to rock chipping.
  6. The tech is worse than what other manufacturers have had out for over 5 years now - to be fair, I knew this going in.
  7. BUT.... even with that... my biggest problem? The rattles!!!
    1. The rear power sliding window rattles pretty badly - the dealership has 'fixed' this but can't guarantee that the problem won't come back. If it does then I am being told that an entirely new rear windshield will need to be put in
    2. There is a rattle from the right-hand side of my dash that I haven't been able to pinpoint
    3. There is an occasional rattle from my center speaker (if I smack it then it goes away for a while)
    4. There is a metal 'chirping' noise that comes from the back seat somewhere
I really want to love this truck. It ticks all the boxes for me. But it has become an unpleasant experience every time I drive it as the rattles/squeaks just won't stop. There is some bliss when on nice smooth roads, but unfortunately, I live in an area that gets harsh winters and the roads are less than perfect.

When shopping, I compared the RL to the usuals, the Ranger, Taco, and Canyon, and for the price, I justified the RL as I expected the Honda to have far superior build quality (perhaps with the exception of the Taco). But I have come to regret that decision. I'm even thinking of just taking a decent loss and selling my RL but not sure I can stomach how much I'd lose in that situation.

Yes, I am just venting - if you think that Honda is still the best, great! I think that many of their vehicles are still amazing. But, I also believe that the RL is such a low-volume vehicle for Honda that they don't put the same care into how they are being built.
Maybe a lesson here is "never buy sight unseen" but I think we had committed in March of 2005 to our Ridgeline (made in Canada). Lemme look--well we put $500 down but maybe it was refundable, on our $37K RTL.

A close inspection and some test driving might have revealed a lot of the things you mentioned.

p.s. We too felt lucky to have gotten the very 1st Ridgeline in Austin, Texas, from Howdy Honda. See sig!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
144 Posts
If you are looking at a full size - really think about it. I have a 2021 Nissan Titan, it's build quality is actually excellent so far. My only nitpick is the transmission is a little clunky at lower speeds (and it does drive me nuts, but it's how they all seem to be).
You're lucky you have a 2021 Titan. I had a 17 model, no problems with it, but many, many owners had to have the (gas) engine replaced. Most had tranny problems, and the diesels are now history. I do miss the power, mine with the 7 speed was just a little quicker than yours, stock, but both are quick for a truck. The only really bad thing is Nissan's resale.

I haven't found any paint problems on my 21 Sport--yet. I did find a clip missing on one of my cargo lights when I switched to LED bulbs.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,629 Posts
Individuals on this forum keep talking about squeaks and rattles. Sorry but my departed 08 RTL had none when I killed it at 334,000 miles. This new 2020 E has the same problem, no squeaks or rattles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a 2018 F150 I'm getting rid of while I wait for delivery on my RL. The f150 has no rattles but has been in the shop roughly 18 times for various electrical and mechanical issues. It is home now, but waiting on parts. Luckily all was covered by warranty but a pain in the rear. It's like shared custody with the mechanic at the dealership. I'm looking forward to returning to Honda reliability.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
144 Posts
I know tow guys that had Chevy's replaced under the lemon law. Another good friend had to dump his Super Duty due to electrical gremlins, water was getting in his main electrical connection on the firewall, shorting things out, of course, the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. It isn't funny when you spend 60K plus on a piece of junk!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'll find me on CivicX.com as well (same user name).

I owned a 2017 Civic Si and 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E at the same time. The Civic was my daily driver and I used the Ridgeline for weekend shopping trips. The Ridgeline felt lethargic and gargantuan compared to the Civic, but it was quieter and more comfortable and relaxed. The Ridgeline had A/C problems, too, but appears limited to 2017-2019 models. The Civic I had was one of the most rattle-free automobiles I've owned. Expect some annoying noises in the Ridgeline.

A Ridgeline and Civic are near polar opposites, but I assume (hope) you've driven a Ridgeline and are okay with it.

If you don't need a truck, you might be better off keeping your Canadian-built Civic Si. If you do need the utility of a vehicle with an open bed, but want to retain as much of a car-like ride and handling as possible, the Ridgeline is your choice. It's no sports car, though - it's not even a sporty car. It's far too heavy and floaty to be labeled as such and the slow steering wheel feels like it never stops turning compared to the quick steering of the Civic Si.
Thanks for the detailed response! Yes I have test driven a few of them over the past year and was impressed with it over my parents 20 Tacoma. Life changes have made me look at something with a little towing capacity and bed for kayaks/bike instead of borrowing vehicles. I have always owned cars and prefer the handling of them over a typical pickup which the ridgeline fulfills over the convention. Of course the Si feels like it is on rails compared to the ridgeline but awd plus winter tires will be nice as well as the higher seating position as I typically struggle to see over snow banks at times. I am disappointed with the radio being the same, my relative has a new accord 2.0 and the radio in that is miles better. Remote start in winter will be nice too, hopefully the v6 is better with heat creation then the 1.5t is when it’s -20.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response! Yes I have test driven a few of them over the past year and was impressed with it over my parents 20 Tacoma. Life changes have made me look at something with a little towing capacity and bed for kayaks/bike instead of borrowing vehicles. I have always owned cars and prefer the handling of them over a typical pickup which the ridgeline fulfills over the convention. Of course the Si feels like it is on rails compared to the ridgeline but awd plus winter tires will be nice as well as the higher seating position as I typically struggle to see over snow banks at times. I am disappointed with the radio being the same, my relative has a new accord 2.0 and the radio in that is miles better. Remote start in winter will be nice too, hopefully the v6 is better with heat creation then the 1.5t is when it’s -20.
it sure is faster at warming up (coming from a 2018 civic that I traded for a 2019 ridgeline) but also expect to pay almost double at the pumps. if you do a lot of travel it adds up. My civic would average 7L/100km (33.6MPG) but now I average 12L/100km (19.6MPG).

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sure is faster at warming up (coming from a 2018 civic that I traded for a 2019 ridgeline) but also expect to pay almost double at the pumps. if you do a lot of travel it adds up. My civic would average 7L/100km (33.6MPG) but now I average 12L/100km (19.6MPG).
Yeah I considered that, after doing the math it isn’t that much more for fuel since I’m paying $0.70/gallon more for premium currently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I considered that, after doing the math it isn’t that much more for fuel since I’m paying $0.70/gallon more for premium currently.
As much as I miss being able to take fast corners and zipping around town, I still wouldn't consider going back to a compact car. The comfort, storage and utility are worth the extra fuel costs to me personally. Whether I could get the same value from a smaller 4 cyl SUV is arguable but at least the Ridgeline isn't a HUGE gas hog like some of the bigger full size trucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hmmmm. the 06-08 didnt have NEARLY the same amount if any of these problems.. and those were the first years when you expect that! Then they move to Alabama..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad experience thus far. My 2017 has been problem free and rattle free. It’s the quietest vehicle I’ve ever owned. Not that I’ve owned that many, but it’s the best one in my opinion. As far as the F150, we have one at work and there is no comparison as far as ride quality. Just my two cents of course.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My 2007 RL had rattles that sounded like they were coming from under the dash on the right side. It was hard to track down, but turned out to be defective welds in front of the windshield under the engine cowling, and more above the passenger side front door frame. My 2018 is quiet.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts