Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything exactly like what has happened to me a couple of times the last couple of months...so I am starting this thread..

Yesterday I went to go home from work; I jumped in my truck, turned the key, and nothing. The dash lights went through their normal cycle, where all the warning lights come on and then go off (except the oil light), the Navi came on, the radio came on, the windows worked, but the engine would not crank at all...not even a weak crank that doesn't start the engine (like what happens sometimes when you have a weak battery).

I jumped out, popped the hood, wiggled all the wires I could think of around the starter and such, jumped back in, tried it again...and nothing. I stuck my head under the dash, wiggled some more wires, wiggled the keys around in the ignition, tried again, and nothing. I looked at the fuses, they were all good, I didn't know what to do next...So, I picked up my phone and called AAA.

During the coversation with AAA customer service, the AAA CS person put me on hold to check something, so I wiggled the shifter around a bit, tired it, and it fired right up. Needless to say, I was pretty happy about that and canceled the tow truck when the AAA CS person came back on the line. I got home, put it in park, shut if off, tried starting it, and it fired right up. This morning, when I left for work, it fired right up, no problems at all. Same thing when I went to go grab something for lunch...fired right up.

As I was thinking about this, the exact same thing happened about a month ago, where I tried starting it, nothing...so I turned the key all the way back, so everything shut off, tried starting it again, and it started.

So, obviously something funky is happening but I don't know what I should be looking for. Anybody else have this issue? If so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
GM cars act like this when the security feature has been set off.

But it sounds more like the ignition interlock switch (likely in the column) which is meant to assure the car is in Park before you start it. Years ago we used to have the hold the shifter up with one hand while turning the key or it wouldn't work.

The only other thing I have experienced like this is a bad starter, or should I say a starter with a bad spot on the winding. It will work sort of willy nilly until it finally fails.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I would look at the neutral-start switch that is part of the shifter mechanism. It only allows the truck to start in Park, and probably Neutral (sorry, never actually tried that one myself..)

Chip H.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
yup, the neutral position sensor would be my guess too. Next time it won't start, one thing you might try is to shift into neutral and then see if it will start (it should)

If that turns out to be the cause, it looks like the part number would be: 28900-RJF-013, but you might check. Runs about $50

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, the neutral position sensor would be my guess too. Next time it won't start, one thing you might try is to shift into neutral and then see if it will start (it should)

If that turns out to be the cause, it looks like the part number would be: 28900-RJF-013, but you might check. Runs about $50
OK, I will try that next time. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
Don't forget to include the starter-cut relay in your list of suspects.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It has been said a hundred times on this forum ... when things like this happen it's time to suspect/REPLACE the battery. A hundred dollar investment is cheap and will allow you to eliminate it if/when this happens again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. After Honda replaced the immobilizer unit, it did it when my husband, a general mechanic was there. He says that it is the neutral safety switch, as it starts if you play with the shifter or it will start in neutral. I ordered the part, which is not too expensive but now will probably take it to Honda to install. That looks a little more involved.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Been having this problem and today I saw this and it started in neutral

1 - 9 of 9 Posts