Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn’t even know about torque vectoring or that my new BE even had it, but after I finally got past the break in mileage I decided to do a little test around the neighborhood and see how the truck preforms around tight corners. All I can say is OMG this thing is a monster, I’ve never been in any stock car that could get into a turn with so much control and accelerate out of it so quickly with no body roll or skidding or anything, it’s like a slot car suck to the track. I’m sure it not the best performing vehicle for this task but it has to be better than any other truck made by a long shot and even better than most cars. I haven’t timed mine yet but there is no way it is 7.5 sec 0-60, it’s got be close to 6 flat.

From what I read on the i-VTM4 white paper this must be the reason this truck will do what I experienced and the FWD versions cannot perform near as well or even at all like this, so all I can say to those who got the FWD versions is you really missed out. This thing is a blast and adrenalin rush like I have never felt. BTW, yes I have been in fast cars, drag racing cars, sports cars on racing tracks, non street legal highly modified cars so I have some reference point to make this observation. I am in no way comparing this truck to any modified or non-stock vehicle and I’m sure something like a new Corvette would eat its lunch around corners but I’m guessing it wouldn’t be embarrassed by any stock non exotic car on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn’t even know about torque vectoring or that my new BE even had it, but after I finally got past the break in mileage I decided to do a little test around the neighborhood and see how the truck preforms around tight corners. All I can say is OMG this thing is a monster, I’ve never been in any stock car that could get into a turn with so much control and accelerate out of it so quickly with no body roll or skidding or anything, it’s like a slot car suck to the track. I’m sure it not the best performing vehicle for this task but it has to be better than any other truck made by a long shot and even better than most cars. I haven’t timed mine yet but there is no way it is 7.5 sec 0-60, it’s got be close to 6 flat.

From what I read on the i-VTM4 white paper this must be the reason this truck will do what I experienced and the FWD versions cannot perform near as well or even at all like this, so all I can say to those who got the FWD versions is you really missed out. This thing is a blast and adrenalin rush like I have never felt. BTW, yes I have been in fast cars, drag racing cars, sports cars on racing tracks, non street legal highly modified cars so I have some reference point to make this observation. I am in no way comparing this truck to any modified or non-stock vehicle and I’m sure something like a new Corvette would eat its lunch around corners but I’m guessing it wouldn’t be embarrassed by any stock non exotic car on the road.
People that got the FWD are not missing out at all, lol. If we wanted to do track racing we would have bought a civic coupe. Nobody is going to drive their truck like that, but maybe once or twice unless you are sixteen. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I-VTM is on AWD Ridgelines. And was a MAJOR reason I seriously considered the Ridgeline truck. All of the other truck manufacturers have lousy 4wd systems. They are open differentials with some kind of electronic locking mech. The RL is far ahead of them in terms of AWD design. The system is totally automatic and is actually the same system that is used on sports cars (like the new Honda). But in a truck it adds a serious level of stability control and will actually allow the truck to pull through a turn out (like the OP mentioned) and hold the road better. This is a WIDE advantage over any other truck on the market. I previously drove AWD Ford Escapes for the last few vehicles and that AWD system was a fantastic system over previous designs as well for it's intelligent AWD system. It's not nearly what Honda is using for I-VTM but it was good in it's day. With that system on my Escape I was able to avoid a accident just because it allows the vehicle to retain control and just "steer" around problems. Not like most cars when you loose it and go right into another one. It's a safety feature that's worth paying for IMO and just like Anti lock brakes were years ago, these new systems really make driving safer and more pleasant due to the nature of their safety.

Steve M

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I’m not dogging on the people who chose the FWD model, more excited to find something truly great, no better than great, I honestly think this is the single greatest tech feature available on any car for improved handling ever.
Although I would never encourage anyone to drive like this nor do I intend to again, I can’t help but think this will do much for real world handling in all weather conditions especially under load and trailering where a truck can be hard to control anyway. I have had to run over a cat once because I knew that if I tried to swerve out of the way I could wreck the vehicle and cause harm to myself and on another occasion I had to run over a large piece of metal that someone dropped out of the bed of their truck just in front of me, but with this system I would not hesitate to make the swerve and am confident I would be able to avoid disaster far better than any other truck or car I have driven without danger to myself or other drivers on the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry stevem5215, I had already posted before reading your comments so I obviously agree with your assessment of the system whole heartily.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love the AWD handling on my RL as drives like a sports car compared to other trucks. Almost as fun as driving my wife's Audi A3...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It drives like a minivan and pushes though turns which it is supposed to do. I think you guys are getting a little carried away here. It is not a sports car but the SH-AWD variant has got to help a little bit with safety and a lot with traction especially in snow which is what I am hoping for.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i love racing stoplight to stoplight with other people in the rain, especially rwd cars... light goes green, i floor it, and the truck just goes. they floor it and spin the tires and sit there looking foolish

and this is my 07 with the old vtm...

:smile:

·
Registered
61 Posts
It drives like a minivan and pushes though turns which it is supposed to do. I think you guys are getting a little carried away here. It is not a sports car but the SH-AWD variant has got to help a little bit with safety and a lot with traction especially in snow which is what I am hoping for.
Placebo effect in full force on this thread. :laugh:

·
Administrator
16,012 Posts
I haven’t timed mine yet but there is no way it is 7.5 sec 0-60, it’s got be close to 6 flat.
Car and Driver measured an AWD 2017 at 6.6 seconds 0-60, which feels about right to me. I suspect the FWD version is slightly slower - even with the reduced weight and friction, you lose some time due to front wheel spin. I don't recall seeing any instrumented tests of the FWD version yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every on/off ramp is an opportunity was my montra when I had my GTIs is the past.

While this pick-up is no GTI, it does handle WAY better than the Tacoma I just got rid of for the Ridgeline.

I wonder what it will do with some P Zeros on it...... Hmmmm Have to check the load ratings on them so I can still tow my Lance.

Maybe an Auto X event next spring just to see. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My quote was "...drives like a sports car compared to other trucks."

It doesn't drive like any minivan I've ever test drove... :|

Reactions: plex and zroger73

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I'm curious if the FWD versions show much torque steer under acceleration? I know my G1 RL has little to no torque steer and I've videoed it trying to make it show torque steer with no apparent result other than straight ahead acceleration and steering hands-off.

Also, do the FWD versions spin the front tires easily? That's another thing I can't get my G1 RL to do.. even in the dirt.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, it is very balanced for a "truck", and definitely leagues ahead of any minivan, but.....yeah, prolly should stop right there.... :wink:

·
Administrator
16,012 Posts
I'm curious if the FWD versions show much torque steer under acceleration? I know my G1 RL has little to no torque steer and I've videoed it trying to make it show torque steer with no apparent result other than straight ahead acceleration and steering hands-off.

Also, do the FWD versions spin the front tires easily? That's another thing I can't get my G1 RL to do.. even in the dirt.
Like you, I couldn't produce any torque steer or wheel spin on my 2014 until I removed the VTM-4 fuse at which point it was easy to activate the traction control when accelerating from a stop on dry pavement. With VSA switched off, it was easy to spin a front wheel and take a few thousand miles of tread off a tire. However, even with VSA "off" the vehicle would still reduce engine power to prevent dangerous amounts of wheel spin (there is a special procedure to completely disable VSA/traction control for diagnostic purposes). Not only was there torque steer at heavy throttle from a stop, but when passing as well - the vehicle felt unpredictable without the rear wheels helping. Not necessarily much different than any other "higher powered" front-wheel-drive vehicle, but when you get used to the stability of (i)VTM-4 then experience the same vehicle without it, there is a marked difference.

During my test drive of a FWD 2017, there was some torque steer, but not nearly as much as my 2014 while the VTM-4 fuse was pulled. It was even easier to spin a front wheel with the extra power of the G2's engine. I didn't want to flat out abuse a vehicle I didn't own, but I guarantee you can put on quite an embarrassing show in a FWD G2 after completely disabling the traction control. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have to chime in...i-VTM4 (Honda) and the SH-AWD (Acura) is by FAR the BEST AWD systems I've ever driven in all the 33 vehicles I've owned and ALL the rental vehicles for work, too! It is not even close! :)

The RL drives like a longer wheelbase MDX SH-AWD...how the RL can put up to 70% to an outside rear wheel in harder cornering and drive the truck through a corner is an unbelievable experience (it really is).

And then be able to put up to 100% to just one wheel when driving normal...again I remember being to ticked off at getting stuck with our '94 Suburban 3/4 Ton 454 (back when it was new in '94) it was supposed to be the biggest baddest blah blah blah...and there we were at Detroit Lake with 1 stinking wheel spinning no matter what the 4 Wheel Drive setting was. So, yea I know...23 years later...and everything has come a long way in 23 years. ;)

BUT I am so VERY impressed with the RL i-VTM4 AWD...especially compared to any other AWD or 4WD system that we'd had in our '92 Ford F-150; '94 Suburban; '97 Dodge Cummins; 2000 Tundra; '05 Tundra Double Cab; '07 RAV4 V6; '08 Highlander Sport; '11 Tundra CrewMax TRD Off Road; or '13 Tacoma TRD Sport LB...the Ridgeline just grips and goes and man can it go.

Almost all the 0-60 times from the major publications have been 0-60 in 6.5 seconds (usually they test an RTL-E or BE) Including my favorite reviewer Alex Dykes of Alex On Autos ? Your place for in-depth car reviews.. BUT I have seen 0-60 times on tests of RTS which are slightly lighter weight...of 6.1 to 6.4 seconds (some with VSA OFF and using L through most of 1st & 2nd before switching to drive).

So compare that to what I remember used to be a killer truck the '91 GMC Syclone (we have come a long LONG way). ;) Enjoy the Syclone vs Ferrari Memory. Car and Driver Sept 1991 | Sportmachines

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
Like you, I couldn't produce any torque steer or wheel spin on my 2014 until I removed the VTM-4 fuse at which point it was easy to activate the traction control when accelerating from a stop on dry pavement.
Actually, this sounds like a good test to prove/disprove the oft proclaimed silent VTM-4 failure theory that Joe mentioned a long time ago. Especially for both my VTM-4 vehicles after doing that VTM-4 test some years back where I couldn't climb a small berm cross-loaded as a test of the VTM-4 manual lock.

Reactions: zroger73
1 - 20 of 26 Posts